Breakfast Cereal

Options
I must say - I am completely disappointed that a cereal company thinks "3/4 cup" is a serving size. Seriousally - who only eats 3/4 cup of cereal? Being that I'm trying to really control my calorie intake, I was behaved and measured and only ate 3/4 cup, but still .. that's just enough to coat the bottom on the bowl! I'm just sayin!

Replies

• kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I always eat 2 servings. There is just no way I could only eat 3/4 cup. I just make up for it with lower calorie things later, like veggies.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I know right 3/4 cup might be a serving size for a child under the age of 6 maybe but that is it
  • mbasham369
    Options
    I think it depends on the cereal. My All-Bran flakes has a serving of 1 cup, and it does me fine.
  • Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Add a banana or other fresh fruit to bulk it up. I always eat 1 cup cereal, 1 cup skim milk, and add in things like strawberries, banana, blueberries, or kiwi.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I agree thats why I also eat 2 servings and I eat cereals on the lower calorie side. Well atleast those are 3/4 cup
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I know, right?! That's why when I look for cereal, I make sure the serving size is a full cup (or more). Plain cheerios is 100 calories for a cup, but then again... The pieces are kinda small. I love Peanut Butter Bumpers by Mothers. A full cup for 130 calories, and they're REALLY good with or without milk. You can get them at a Whole Foods store... Or maybe even target. I know my Target sold them for a while, but suddenly they've stopped.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Okay. So I'm a wierdo lol! I only eat between 1/2-3/4 cup of cooked cereal each morning. I add 1 scoop of protein powder, 1-2 tbsp chia seeds, stewed prunes, a hint of cinnamon/cardomom/nutmeg/cloves, goji berries and unsweetened almond milk. I don't eat pre-packed dry cereals for breakfast - not substantial enough - though they are tempting as a snack every now and then. However, if I did eat pre-packaged dry cereals, I think I would have to dress them up in about 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, some fresh berries or chopped sun-dried figs or dates, and unsweetened almond milk. Hmmm. That actually sounds like it might be somewhat filling. Might have to sample it one day soon lol!
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    has anyone ever tried the fiber one cereal that looks like rabit food?? awful! I would rather eat 3/4 of a cup of the good stuff!! But yeah I just know that I am going to eat 2 servings when I eat cereal. which in turn has kinda got me away from eating cereal at all because it is so high on calories. Let me know if anyone has any low calorie cereals (that dont look like rabbit food)
    Thanks!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Okay. So I'm a wierdo lol! I only eat between 1/2-3/4 cup of cooked cereal each morning. I add 1 scoop of protein powder, 1-2 tbsp chia seeds, stewed prunes, a hint of cinnamon/cardomom/nutmeg/cloves, goji berries and unsweetened almond milk. I don't eat pre-packed dry cereals for breakfast - not substantial enough - though they are tempting as a snack every now and then. However, if I did eat pre-packaged dry cereals, I think I would have to dress them up in about 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, some fresh berries or chopped sun-dried figs or dates, and unsweetened almond milk. Hmmm. That actually sounds like it might be somewhat filling. Might have to sample it one day soon lol!

I'm so jealous of your creativity.. As well as the fact that you take the time to do this! Good for you! :)

Perhaps one day I'll be able to eat like you on a regular basis. ;)
  • Erindipitous
    Options
    has anyone ever tried the fiber one cereal that looks like rabit food?? awful! I would rather eat 3/4 of a cup of the good stuff!! But yeah I just know that I am going to eat 2 servings when I eat cereal. which in turn has kinda got me away from eating cereal at all because it is so high on calories. Let me know if anyone has any low calorie cereals (that dont look like rabbit food)
    Thanks!

This may fall under the "odd foods" thread that was going on yesterday, but I actually really like the stuff. I like to take a cup of it, dump in some cinnamon and stevia, add a chopped up apple, a cup or so of water, and nuke-and-stir-nuke-and-stir until it reaches almost like an oatmeal consistency.. I love it. I also like to mix a half cup of it (which is a serving size of my brand) in with my Greek yogurt for an added crunch that's much lower in calories than granola. ;)
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    This is why I don't eat cereal. And if I do, I eat Barbara's Shredded Oats (original) -- no refined sugar, preservatives or additives. Just a bit of molasses to sweeten it up. One serving is 1 1/4 cup at 220 calories and packs a good nutritional punch -- for cereal, that is.

Cereal is one of the worst things you could do for your weight loss goals. It's often full of garbage (as a note to the last poster, THAT INCLUDES FIBER ONE!) and is typically full of sugar. It won't fill you up and you basically just waste your calories eating it.

Opt for oatmeal and you'll not only be much more satiated but you'll also do your body a favor by not filling it full of chemicals and preservatives.

I'll say it again: If a product has ingredients that you can't go buy at your local grocer, than a SCIENTIST made it and it's NOT FOOD!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I have a major addiction to Post Honey Nut Shredded Wheat...190cal per cup and it is a large cereal so a cup is like a handfull. I just can't seem to give them up and I eat them almost every morning (dry-I munch them like candy;) and as snacks throughout the day. Oh well...what ya gonna do.
  • Erindipitous
    Options
    This is why I don't eat cereal. And if I do, I eat Barbara's Shredded Oats (original) -- no refined sugar, preservatives or additives. Just a bit of molasses to sweeten it up. One serving is 1 1/4 cup at 220 calories and packs a good nutritional punch -- for cereal, that is.

Cereal is one of the worst things you could do for your weight loss goals. It's often full of garbage (as a note to the last poster, THAT INCLUDES FIBER ONE!) and is typically full of sugar. It won't fill you up and you basically just waste your calories eating it.

Opt for oatmeal and you'll not only be much more satiated but you'll also do your body a favor by not filling it full of chemicals and preservatives.

I'll say it again: If a product has ingredients that you can't go buy at your local grocer, than a SCIENTIST made it and it's NOT FOOD!

Not to get into a pissing contest about cereal, but Fiber One has been voted as one of the best breakfast cereals.

Ingredients: Corn Bran, Whole Grain Wheat, Wheat Bran, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Color Added, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Baking Soda, Corn Oil, Aspartame, Vitamin E. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients) Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12.

Questionable may be the "gums" -- Which are binding agents in food. If taken in alone in larger quantities, they are fibers that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines. There is some interest in using them for weight loss because they expand in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

As for aspartame, in small quantities on the occasion will not kill you or give you cancer.. Note that it's the last thing on the list before the vitamins and minerals are listed.

Just because it's not something that you would eat, calling it garbage and claiming that it's a horrible cereal that won't help you feel full is a little uncalled for.
  • HilarieXcore
    HilarieXcore Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I saw this on the sidebar because I just finished eating 3/4 of a cup of cereal with a cup of light vanilla soy and I'm fulll. Most mornings I do 1 cup Raisin Bran, 1 cup light vanilla soy, & half a banana cut up into it. It all fits into a red plastic cup so I can eat it on the way to school. Today I was going for something sugary that wouldn't take up as many calories (insert long boring explanation here) so I went for the only other cereal in the cabinet.. Fruity Pebbles (-don't hate-). I did 3/4 of a cup of it with 1 cup of light vanilla soy milk and it was only 190 calories plus it killed any other cravings sugar today lol.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way! How is that a serving? Now instead of using my gigantic cereal bowls, I'm using my kids small cartoon character bowls. ROFL! Looks full using just 1 C of cereal! (I always do one cup) I LOVE the Cascadian Farm line of cereal! All so yummy! Since most is granola it is pretty calorie dense, but filling, and you can add thawed frozen fruit, or fresh fruit to any of it, to make it more filling!

I find it harder to stick to when I'm eating the yummy sugar filled crap like lucky charms (they definitely are magically delicious! LOL!)

But, yea, go with smaller bowls, you can get small ones in the target $1 section that are the PERFECT size!

If I want more, I do something else before getting a 2nd helping. Usually I forget I wanted more, but it took weeks to get to that point! Usually between my correct portion of cereal, w/ 1% milk (was whole for so so many years!) and my cup of tea, I am now content. If not, I have an apple or a banana and I am fine. :D
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Think you need smaller bowls?:happy:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the cereal. My All-Bran flakes has a serving of 1 cup, and it does me fine.

This. Frosted Mini-Wheats are my "poison" of choice and 28 biscuits is MORE than enough to fill me up... probably all that fiber.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

Not to get into a pissing contest about cereal, but Fiber One has been voted as one of the best breakfast cereals.

Ingredients: Corn Bran, Whole Grain Wheat, Wheat Bran, Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Color Added, Cellulose Gum, Salt, Baking Soda, Corn Oil, Aspartame, Vitamin E. Vitamins and Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Zinc and Iron (Mineral Nutrients) Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate), B Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1 (Thiamin Mononitrate), B Vitamin (Folic Acid), Vitamin B12.

Questionable may be the "gums" -- Which are binding agents in food. If taken in alone in larger quantities, they are fibers that normalizes the moisture content of the stool, absorbing excess liquid in diarrhea, and softening the stool in constipation. It also might help decrease the amount of cholesterol and glucose that is absorbed in the stomach and intestines. There is some interest in using them for weight loss because they expand in the intestine, causing a sense of fullness. This may decrease appetite.

As for aspartame, in small quantities on the occasion will not kill you or give you cancer.. Note that it's the last thing on the list before the vitamins and minerals are listed.

Just because it's not something that you would eat, calling it garbage and claiming that it's a horrible cereal that won't help you feel full is a little uncalled for.

I had picked it up because Hungry Girl had raved about it. I thought it had a weird, sticky sweet aftertaste to it and thought it may have just been due to the type of cereal. Then I read the ingredients, just the same as the ones you posted. And as soon as I got to the aspartame I knew that's what I was tasting. I never bought the stuff again. It's not about the risk of it causing cancer, it's about the fact that it makes food leave a sticky and gross aftertaste in my mouth when I eat it. To me it's disgusting for that fact.

The other mass market bran cereal I looked at had HFCS. So I checked out Trader Joe's. Found one that has no aspartame and no HFCS and tastes better than the Fiber One. And, it's two bucks cheaper than Fiber One. So it's a full on win to me. :D
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at portion sizes too on breakfast cereal. I was eating Total and Frosted mini wheats and I believe Total was one that had a 3/4 cup for a portion. I will have to look. Anyway then I went to Rice Krispies. The portion size is much bigger and less calories.

Just looked at the diary. Frosted Mini Wheats 250 calories for 24 biscuits. Sodium 5
    Total- 1 1/8 cup is 150 calories. (this is 2 portion amount) Sodium 285
    Rice Krispies- 1 1/4 cup is 130 calories. (one portion) Sodium 190
  • lauraajohnsonrn
    Options
    I agree....especially when it comes to the really yummy ones. Try ones that are higher in fiber or protein. One member mentioned All Bran, I like Special K with chocolate pieces. Or along with your cereal eat an egg or two. The protein will help keep you fuller longer. Just a thought. :)