Where do you run?

2»

Replies

• lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    I used to run to the park near my house and through the ball fields then down the street to a shopping center, it's a little over a mile one way. I try to run after 7 because of traffic. I'm trying to get motivation back to start running again! I lost motivation during the winter months because it's too cold and gets dark too early.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Usually in my neighborhood. I can also run or drive to a local park (it's less than a mile from my house).

In my last house, it was literally impossible and unsafe to run from my front door. On weekends, I drove to a park to run.On weekdays, I ran near my work, either in a quiet housing development quite close to work or in a park that I drove over to which was also close to work.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Both.
    Run on the treadmill after work when I have time to get to the gym.
    Run in my neighborhood when it's light out, and I can't make it to the gym.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I started on the treadmill, but have since moved outside.

I use mapmyrun.com to plot out various distances. I love it because you don't have to stick to roads like using a regular mapping site. One loop around the little park by my house is .31 miles, so ten laps is a 5k. I've been challenging myself more lately and going on the streets, trails and sidewalks in my very hilly neighborhood. Mapmyrun also shows the elevation, which is cool.
  • We are very fortunate to live on the coast, next to the Bristol Channel. I quite often walk/jog along the esplanade/sea front. Also, we have a huge park joining Highbridge and Burnham, which I have just got back from taking my dog for a walk. It does get very busy but does have a good track on which you can travel :)
    321k Posts: 19
    i have 3 big fields to choose from
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    I started this and I use a treadmill...i'm a little self-conscious about running outside.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I prefer trail running as it is easier on the joints and I just love being in the woods, but if time is short I may just run out the door. I live in a rural area so its not really a neighborhood in the traditional sense, but the ability to exercise without a drive is one of the advatages of running. You can use Gmaps-pedometer to measure a route right from your door (or where ever.) It will give you an elevation profile and you can plot your turnaround point, detours to add mileage, etc. Also, I just started using the runkeeper app on my smartphone. It is great! It gives verbal feedback "you have gone one mile at an average pace of 8 minutes 15 seconds" and such. Very neat and free. Enjoy!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I started this and I use a treadmill...i'm a little self-conscious about running outside.

No need to be self concious. People will likely just dismiss you as one of those crazy runners anyway. They could care less what we look like; most people just dont care, a few are going to make fun of us no matter what. So just laugh it off; you are the one doing what is necessary to improve so you get the last laugh!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Everywhere. About 1/3 of my runs are out my door through neighborhoods and on main streets and side streets, about 1/3 are in a neighboring town with my running partners through neighborhoods and a park there, and the other 1/3 are either at the track, or at a large park with many miles of trails that I have to drive to for more challenging terrain. I like runningahead.com because you can look up other runs people in the area have mapped and use those for ideas.
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    I run on the treadmill at my house. 1. because I can adjust my speed and incline 2. I don't feel like poeple are going to make fun of me inside my house...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Anywhere that I need to. Mostly in parks on my way home after work(running a mix of roads & trails). Sometimes straight from my house on the roads. During the summer I can run from my house to a park and then run the trails there. Only when I absolutely have to, do I resort to the treadmill.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    I run 6+ days per week and log a bunch of miles. 95% of my runs are right out my door. I don't have enough hills nearby, so I drive over to the hills once a week when I'm training for a hilly race. In the summers I'll drive down to meet my running club for some runs as well.

I hate wasting my workout time driving to go run. Twenty minutes on the road is a couple miles I'm not running.

Ditto. I might try and drive to some trails over the summer, and there are a few hills nearby if I need them, but usually I just head out the door. At 5 am there is very little traffic of any kind to worry about, and I have reflective gear to wear as well.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    We live in a small town in a rural area. Depending on my mood, weather, and running goal for that day I'll do the following:

I started running right out the front door. If the wind is OK, I'll run outside of town on the farm roads. I have a few loops measured out between 4 and 8 miles. If the wind is out of sorts, which in Kansas can be often, I run in town where I have a little protection. I have 2.4 mile loop I just as many times as needed.

Since joining the YMCA I have access to an indoor track. It's 1/9 of a mile. If the weather is bad, I'm doing intervals, or my schedule determines I need t use it, it's nice to have....and it keeps me off the treadmill. I've only used a treadmill to test new shoes or an HRM. Cannot stand them.

I started running at a large local park to get a look at the race course for the 10K I just ran. I've found I like running there, and there are several trails and courses to take. I will probably run there more often.

But I'm always looking for new places to run.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    I only run outdoors, rain or shine. My neighborhood has enough variable terrain including hills that it's a good workout. Sometimes I'll run at the high school track too. I also have trails near my house but I'm finding that running trails is tough.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    I run through my hood or one nearby for different scenery, also we have a lot of canals with a lot of runners and I will drive to run somewhere new every now and then, like a park or mountain area or god forbid the dreadmill at the gym.

Basically what I'm saying is just get out and do it and change it up every now and then for a change of pace.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    while i prefer to run outside, i have to use the treadmill. single parenting and free daycare at the gym results in mainly treadmill running. lol.
  • ravenlunatic76
    ravenlunatic76 Posts: 69 Member
    I've been running for three months now, on the treadmill with the exception of once outside. For some perspective, I now average a 10:30 mile and am 220 pounds. In high school, 175 pounds? 18:00 mile. Now I can run a 5K on the treadmill in about 34 minutes without stopping.

What I am trying to say is take your time outside or inside and dedicate yourself to it 4+ times a week. It will get easier with each passing run.

And most importantly? Buy yourself some running shoes from a place that measures your feet, gait, etc
This discussion has been closed.