Birth Control does not make you gain weight new research say

Options
2»

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Changes in hormones are what tell out bodies that we need to change our calorie intake for specific reasons (to regenerate uterine lining, to grow a fetus, etc). From what I've read, the caloric intake isn't too great (anywhere from 100-300 calories) but it is needed. The pill itself is calorie free, so they can legally claim that they don't cause weight gain. It is, however, a play on words and those studies are probably in some form sponsored by the drug companies.

***Note: Some women don't gain weight during pregnancy, either (beyond the weight of the baby itself). Some women *lose* weight during pregnancy. So it would make sense that some women don't gain on BC. But our bodies are normally programmed to be triggered by these hormones to take in mildly greater calories.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Now, what would be *really* interesting would be to study hormonal birth controls that are three weeks on and one week off versus hormonals like Mirena/Depo/Seasonique that don't give you a monthly break.

Does the consistent stream of hormones make your body react more like a pregnancy? Conversely, does your body react to the 3 weeks on 1 week off like you are miscarrying every month?

I always had bad reactions to hormonal birth controls and have never taken one for longer than a month or two before going numb in my extremities. I'm a copper IUD girl. :-D