Oatmeal Ideas

Options
DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
Hi All,

I eat oatmeal every morning...it's my staple breakfast. I usually make it with 1/2 cup of lite vanilla soy milk and a tsp or 2 of natural peanut butter--very yummy :-)

But, I need some new combos. What do you usually mix your oatmeal with?

Replies

• hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use Coaches Steel Cut Oatmeal that I get at Costco. I mix it with Max Muscle Vanilla Protein Powder. Some times I mix in blueberries with it.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to McDonald's fruit and maple oatmeal...it's pretty darn good! :tongue:
  • evanness
    evanness Posts: 25
    Options
    I love oatmeal for breakfast! I have it just about every morning too! I don't even add milk to mine anymore, just a cup of water with 1/2 cup of oatmeal. But, my favorite right now is blueberries. We just get a bag of frozen blueberries and I do 1/2 cup blueberries (either cooked with the oatmeal or added afterward). Chopped up apple is also really good or just sprinkle cinnamon over the top!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I think fruits are great to add. Had blueberries in mine yesterday. I try to buy oatmeal with flax for the extra omegas.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    We add all sorts of stuff: chopped apples/ slivered almond or walnut pieces/ dried fruit/ shredded coconut/ yogurt/ granola/ flax seed--that sort of thing (we use organic & unsweetened)
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    1/2 c rolled oats, water, couple pkts of sweetener, a tbsp of dry milk and 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries - 185 cals and I look forward to it every morning. :-D
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    I add 1/2 a banana cut up. Yum!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Almond Milk and about 5 chocolate chips, a 1/2 sliced banana, 1 tsp peanut butter. So yummy!! :happy:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in a dollop of honey, sliced strawberries, and 1/2 sliced bananna.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    try adding cottage cheese, plain is fine or I have been using breakstones new flavors , strawberry cheesecake, mango, pineapple, and a few others that are 100 calories each for 4 oz. I mix the strawberry one in the 1/2 cup oatmeal and maybe dice up 2 oz of fresh strawberries and blueberries each for a nice breakfast that comes in about 300 calories high in protein. The mango cottage cheese I mix with half diced banana.
    Try a fresh apple with skin and add it into the oatmeal and liquid prior to cooking so the apple gets soft in the few minutes its in the microwave, pink lady apples come out the best make it almost taste like apple cobbler with a lil stevia added. I also like raisns and walnuts but thats a treat as it raises my blood sugar and is higher in calories then the rest.
  • shells62682
    shells62682 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I really like adding brown sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin spice mix, dried cherries/blueberries, toasted pecans, walnuts, almonds.

Good luck!!
  • PrincessBTits
    Options
    cinammon, 2% milk, and whatever fresh fruit I have on hand. Yesterday was mango and strawberries :)
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I just tried savory oatmeal this week and it was yummy! 1T of soy sauce and some Sriracha hot sauce...cheese if you like...sautee some veggies like onions, mushrooms, peppers and stir them in. Top with a poached or fried egg. I know it sounds weird, but don't knock it till you tried it;)

I also like it with a bit of splenda and topped with a tablespoon of coffeemate flavored creamer.
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    :smooched: splenda brown sugar, raisins and baked apples with cinnamon
  • RoseRDH
    RoseRDH Posts: 24
    Options
    These all sound like good ideas! Bumping! Thanks : )
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I eat oatmeal every morning...it's my staple breakfast. I usually make it with 1/2 cup of lite vanilla soy milk and a tsp or 2 of natural peanut butter--very yummy :-)

But, I need some new combos. What do you usually mix your oatmeal with?

That sounds very good! I've been wanting to play around with peanut butter but wasn't sure how it would turn out!
    Anyway, I like to add some brown sugar, cinnamon and frozen fruit (hot oatmeal warms it up while keeping nutritional value, rather than microwaving it)

or banans and walnuts

or a small amount of maple syrup

cinnamon goes a long way as far as adding flavor though, so usually i'll just add some cinnamon and fruit :)
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bumping as well! Great suggestions!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I add some shredded coconut, few pieces of pineapple and a packet of Stevia, tastes like a pina colada!
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk and about 5 chocolate chips, a 1/2 sliced banana, 1 tsp peanut butter. So yummy!! :happy:

That sounds really good!!! Well, they all sound good but I'm kind of a choco-peanut butter-banana addict so this sounds like heaven! haha
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    sliced almonds and blueberries or
    10 dark or semi sweet chocolate chips and peanutbutter
    or a thin layer of nonfat greek vanilla yogurt on top of the cooling oatmeal
    or a tsp of sour cherry jam