Aerobics for Beginners--Suggestions Needed

Options
:flowerforyou:

So...I am Obese...there I said it outloud(sortof) and I really don't want to be. SO I am looking for an aerobic workout that 'even I' can do. I've been on MFP since February and I am losing...but I have been walking alot as my exercise...and when it's rainy, or dark, I am stuck inside without an option. I'm looking for somehting motivating and fun....I want to feel my heart pump...but not feel like I'm dying. (Working out is supposed to make you feel better about your self not worse isn't it).

Thanks for reading!

Me

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Hi there...I know what you mean and how you feel. I started my journey at 275 pounds and wanted to concentrate more on my food program than exercise at first as I thought I was pretty proud of myself for making this leap. Plus, the reason I started this journey was because of my terribly painful knees from being obese my whole life. So my knee pain kept me from even thinking about exercise. Then in 2 months I dropped 40 pounds and my body was screaming at me to begin exercise. A friend introduced me to Beacbody/Chalene JOhnson because she has a modifier next to her the whole time that shows you low impact version. I was skeptical but I purchaed TurboJam and to this day I absolutely love it. The kickboxing has been amazing at toning my waist, hips, thighs. Plus I got the gloves that help with my arms too. I highly suggest it.

Good luck.
  • coakes31
    coakes31 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds dvds and also The Biggest Loser 30 Day challenge. Leslie's are walking based and she also incorporates using weights and bands. Biggest loser of course has a little be of everything for all areas of your body. Im obese :sad: and can move right along with them and you can definately feel the burn. If I feel its a little to much for me I just work along at my own pace.

Good luck!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    What could be an option for you on those days where you can't get outside to walk is to put some fun and lively type of music on in your house and start moving around the living room.

Think about it - aerobic classes combine simple movements like regular walking ........step-together-step movements..........and then add arm movement to it to increase heart rate.

I'll bet you could sorta make up your own aerobics - I do! If you like to dance then just start to move and see what happens to that heart rate! It will go up!

There are all sorts of DVD's out there too. Just find one specifically for beginners...........but until you do, make up your own at home. Just listen to your body - it will tell you how hard to work and when to stop.

Most of all make it fun - pick the music you like!

Best!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There are a number of "walking" indoor workouts available on DVD, such as Leslie Sansone, and I believe I heard of one recently with the male trainer from Biggest Loser.

Other than that, look for "beginner" workouts. I have a Tai Chi DVD that does a great job of moving slowly through new moves.

Also, consider weight training. Start small and manageable. Go to the store and pick up the different weights one by one. If the 2 lb. doesn't feel like anything, it isn't enough. Do you feel some strain when you do 10 bicep curls in a row? That is much better.

PERSONAL BIAS: You should consider social dance. Swing dance, contra dance, country dance... any kind of social dancing will get you up, moving and smiling, which makes it soooooo much easier to keep it up!
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I have both the first and second Biggest Loser workout DVDs, and really love them. I started out at almost 200 lbs, and found them to be really great and easy to modify. I'd probably suggest going with the second Biggest Loser workout DVD first, it has shorter sections and I don't think it has jumping jacks like the first one. And they last through weight loss, I've lost 21 lbs and I can still get my heart pumping with them.