Be Careful When Hiring a Trainer....

Options
I competed in a powerlifting meet last weekend, and I met another lifter there who is a personal trainer. We talked quite a bit while waiting our turn to lift, and we really hit it off. He was nice, friendly, and a nationally-ranked lifter who is obviously fit and knows the sport. I'd been searching for a PT for a while now, but it's hard to find one who understands the special needs of someone like me who trains for heavy lifting.

At any rate, he gave me his card, and I was considering calling him to discuss hiring him. On a whim, I Googled his name to see if I could find any more information on him or maybe something from his clients. Was I surprised at what I found............

It turns out he's a registered sex offender! He's been convicted three times for lewd and lascivious acts with children, the last time only a few years ago. Well, that's just great. Here I was talking to this guy for hours and I never suspected a thing. He wasn't creepy at all, probably because I'm too old for him (we're the same age - late forties). Not that you can tell be looking at someone - I know that all too well. But, still, it was disturbing and disappointing to find out about his sordid history.

So for you folks out there considering hiring a trainer, be careful. Do your research. God forbid you end up letting someone in your life who could end up being a danger to you or your family. You just never know about people these days.

Replies

• Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe a part of you suspected something - why else would you look him up? Good going, though - and thanks for the warning!
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    Omg.... that is scarey good thing you googled!!!!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Doing haircuts in a prison, I have been told, it is usually the ones you least expect.....charming, helpful,friendly, etc....so that part of your head goes 'They wouldnt do THAT"....Glad you found out!!
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thank God you were smart. Interesting story, but absolutely disgusting!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    WOW! Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the heads up. Glad you had that little voice in your head that made you Google him to begin with. And thank God he never got close enough to you or your family.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Oh and one other thing....why isn't this POS in prison? How many times do these scumbags have to get caught with their hand in the cookie jar before someone cuts it off? There were CHILDREN at that meet! Makes me cringe to think about it. :frown: