Need help on increasing my endurance:)

Options
Hi everyone,
I just started training to make sure I can pass my test for a federal agency I am trying to get into. I am suppose to run a mile and a half in 13 min. In the gym I run a mile and a half in 17 min. I really thought I was close to achieving my goal until I began to run outside. It apparently takes me 28 min to run a mile and a half! I feel like I am dying at that pace. I cant lie I have been really down about that reality check. I also have a problem with my breathing, as soon as I try to go faster I feel like I cannot grasp air and I panic. I try to take to take a deep breath but I feel like I can't. The worst part of it all is that when I feel this way I end up having to stop running and I end up throwing up. If anyone has tips I would really appreciate them. Thank you!

Replies

• LillysGranny
    Options
    Are you sure you've paced off your mile and half correctly? That is only about 3 mph....you can probably walk faster than that!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    To build endurance you need to run longer. Slow down as much as you need to and run between 45 min and an hour four times a week. If you cannot go that long then slow down more until you can. After a few weeks your endurance will begin to increase rapidly.

If you have a couple of months to do this then you will be able to run much faster and more comfortably for the 1.5 mile.

Once a week go back and do the 1.5 mile as fast as you can and you should begin seeing improvement by the second week.

Also, make sure you are breathing correctly with your diaphragm. If your belly expands when you breathe you are doing it right. If only your chest expands when you breathe you are doing it wrong and not filling your lungs to capacity.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you've paced off your mile and half correctly? That is only about 3 mph....you can probably walk faster than that!

1.5 miles in 17 minutes is a little over 5... doing it in 13 minutes is closer to 7mph

my reccomendation to get your speed up is interval training! run for 3 minutes at a comfortable pace and pick it up for 1 minute (i'm up to alternating 5.8 mph on my job and 6.6 on the faster part) this will help increase both endurance and speed
  • eagles0080
    Options
    Try the c25K program for treadmills. Agreed that you need to increase the amount of time you can run..the speed at which you run will naturally increase as you increase your time. I run 5.3 MPH which is an 11:19 mile.
  • newme7g
    newme7g Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sure Its faster than 3. Lol or at least I hope so. I'm going to bring an actual timer with me next time and let's see what happens. Hopefully I'm not timing correctly
  • newme7g
    newme7g Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice. I will start running longer 3 days a week and do 3 days where I run at a pace for 3 min and than pick it up for a min. Also thanks so much on the breathing tip I will make sure my stomach expands and not my chest:)
  • LillysGranny
    Options

1.5 miles in 17 minutes is a little over 5... doing it in 13 minutes is closer to 7mph

my reccomendation to get your speed up is interval training! run for 3 minutes at a comfortable pace and pick it up for 1 minute (i'm up to alternating 5.8 mph on my job and 6.6 on the faster part) this will help increase both endurance and speed

She says it took her 28 minutes to run 1 1/2 miles outside. That is a tad over 3 mph. I'm no rocket scientist, but I think my calculation is correct.