Why this magic 1200 #?

Options
Ok, I said I wanted to lose 2lbs per week, however every website I go to keeps recalculating it to 1.3 or 1.4lbs per week. First off, that will take me FOREVER, secondly why won't it let me calculate at losing the 2lbs per week???? What magically happens at this 1200 # and why can't I go below it?

The last website said:

Your weight goal was calculated to less than 1,200 calories. Your expected weight loss per week has been re-calculated. At 1,200 calories per day you can except to loose 1.4 pounds per week.

TY!

Replies

• msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Ok, I said I wanted to lose 2lbs per week, however every website I go to keeps recalculating it to 1.3 or 1.4lbs per week. First off, that will take me FOREVER, secondly why won't it let me calculate at losing the 2lbs per week???? What magically happens at this 1200 # and why can't I go below it?

The last website said:

Your weight goal was calculated to less than 1,200 calories. Your expected weight loss per week has been re-calculated. At 1,200 calories per day you can except to loose 1.4 pounds per week.

TY!
  • jlmason83
    Options
    Haha - you know, I'm not sure.

I've experienced the same thing myself. I think they want to make sure you're getting enough nutrients - and 1200 calories is about what you need to make sure you're getting all the right proteins, vitamins, fats, etc that your body requires.

If you want to go below that #, instead of reducing the amount of calories you eat just burn off more - do 10 more minutes on the treadmill, etc. Because really, that's what the equation is all about: burning more calories than you take in.

Interesting observation though, never really though about it before. Yeah, make sure you're eating enough!!! :D
  • bbright53
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories a day your body will go into "Starvation Mode" and store anything you eat resulting in no weight loss.

Others can explain it better, but go for the 1200 calorie diet and try to get all your nutrients. You may lose it more slowly than you'd like, but you will lose the weight and have a better chance of keeping it off.
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it is because anything below 1200 is not healthy weight loss.

Everything I've ever read says never to go below 1200 calories with the consent of a physican.
    I know when my doctor told me to loose weight, he told me 1200 calories and gave me a 1200 calorie diet to follow.

That's the only thing I can think of why the sites won't let you go lower than 1200.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Exactly, you need at least 1200 or your body will go into starvation mode.
    You may lose weight at first staying below 1200 but it won't last and you will be more likely to gain more weight.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    With your numbers, 1200 is too low. You can't really be at a normal body fat % and be trying for over 1 lb a week, it's just a very tall order. It's gonna take longer now that you have lost all that weight. here, read this, I put this plateau buster together after going through a few plateaus myself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-<span class=

Check out that thread and it will give you more info! Hope that helps.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    BB is correct.

You will go into starvation mode and your body will actually save any energy and not burn much.
    It is also unhealthy and could lead to more severe problems.
    You need at least 1200 to keep a normal lifestyle and quality of life.
    My advice is to work out more, this way you can eat more to catch up on the calories you burnt, and burn fat and tone your body.
    Don't forget to eat what you burn off. This site automatically calculates the calories for you to still be losing when you eat these calories.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, lets make sure we all understand. 1200 calories is a VERY broad generalization that is just meant as kind of a warning sign. Basically a big bold blinking thing that says "HEY, yes you! Be ULTRA careful because it doesn't look like you're eating enough calories!"

here are some posts that have been bumped around here for a while, they may help. They can get long, but it would behoove you (and anyone) to read and read and read these until you can understand everything in them, because they are very important to know for your metabolic health

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12250-1000-calorie-deficit-not-for-people-with-healthy-bmi
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    for me at 1200 cal i'd only lose 0.9lb/week! but i'll take my time though.
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thank you! And TY Banks1850, I'll have to read through all of those. I read the first one, and it was really helpful. It also maybe explained why I had a monster headache yesterday :laugh: I definitely did not eat enough calories. I have a tendency to try and "save" my calories for dinner. Probably not the best idea. Like right now I did a little better today, but still have over 900 cal for dinner.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Thank you! And TY Banks1850, I'll have to read through all of those. I read the first one, and it was really helpful. It also maybe explained why I had a monster headache yesterday :laugh: I definitely did not eat enough calories. I have a tendency to try and "save" my calories for dinner. Probably not the best idea. Like right now I did a little better today, but still have over 900 cal for dinner.

yes, saving calories doesn't work very well. I know some programs do that but think about it like this. You're body can only burn a certain number of calories at any given time. Anything it can't burn does NOT get saved in the stomach for later, it is ALL digested. Guess where the unused but digested energy goes... give up? Yep, adipose (body) fat. And once it's turned to fat, it's not as likely to be used for energy because the way the body looks for energy is this:

1) food in the stomach
    2) free energy in the blood (blood sugar)
    3) fat and lean tissue (which ever is easier to get, normally fat is easier, but not always)
    4) well, there really is no 4, but I guess it would start cannibalizing other body parts too, but by that point, you're pretty close to death.

This is the main reason we preach small meals, frequently throughout the day, that way the metabolism is constantly fed, but never overful, so it can burn and burn, and when you push that little extra bit, it doesn't panic and go for the muscle first.