Best nuts?

Options
I am trying to keep my calorie intake closer to my targets and have started eating peanuts when I need to gain calories at the end of the day. Are peanuts the way to go, or is some other nut better?

Replies

• brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    I like raw almonds!! Great sorce of protein and not as many calories as roasted.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, most nuts are good for you. I try to mix it up between almonds, mixed nuts, and peanuts or peanut butter. Just make sure you are eating unsalted nuts to keep your sodium low!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and almonds are nutritional goldmines and provide healthy fats and minerals
  • lornainak
    lornainak Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Raw almonds are they way to go.... also look into food for your blood type. I'm a type "A" and I love pistachio's but apparently they are not good for my blood type so I only have a handful once a year. Yeap once a year, but almonds I usually have about 20-35 every other day. Unsalted of course and you need to stay away from the salt as well.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are high in saturated fats compared to the other nuts. Mix it up! :)
  • tjstivers1
    Options
    I definitely prefer almonds to any other nut. They're great for building muscle because of their good fats, and they're a good snack between meals.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I just had the same question I posed to a nutritionist. They said walnuts and pistachios are excellent and almonds. Cashews ok eaten in small amount as maybe a dessert treat.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Seems like almonds is the front runner - if I want them to gain calories then any reason to not go with roasted instead of raw? (no salt of course).
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that I found very helpful. Though I enjoy eating raw nuts myself, particularly Raw Almonds.

Snack Happy
    Lower your cholesterol by the handful.

By Charity Ferreira

Roasted, toasted, soaked, or served raw, a handful of nuts is a superfood snack that's hard to beat. Nuts of all varieties are chock-full of satisfyingly rich flavors, healthful fats, protein, and fiber. And in a recent review of 23 studies, scientists confirmed that eating nuts on a regular basis—anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 ounces five times a week—could lower total cholesterol by between 2 and 16 percent.

One of the darlings of the nut world is the almond, a favorite among nutritionists for its high levels of the antioxidant vitamin E. A study published last year in the Journal of Nutrition showed that eating three ounces of almonds a day might help prevent chronic diseases by reducing oxidative damage. That's the kind of damage you can get from, say, breathing polluted air, which has been linked with the development of cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's.

The study noted that whole almonds seemed to have more preventive benefits than vitamin supplements. "We don't know whether it's the good fats, the proteins, the antioxidants, or a synergistic effect of this mixture," says study author Jeffrey Blumberg, also director of the Antioxidants Research Laboratory and professor of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University. "But when we looked at the effect in the whole food context, we determined that eating almonds was more beneficial in reducing oxidative damage."

Not all nuts pack such a powerful punch, but each variety has its own unique nutritional benefits to help you stay healthy. Toss a few in your salad, dessert, pasta, and cereal, or enjoy a scoop for a protein-rich snack in a small but tasty package.

Health Nuts
    Nut/Serving Size Almonds (1 oz/about 23)
    Good Because Loaded with calcium and antioxidants.
    Who Knew? One serving has nearly half the recommended daily allowance of vitamin E and as much antioxidant power as a cup of green tea.

Nut/Serving Size Hazelnuts (1 oz/about 20)
    Good Because Rich in immunity-boosting antioxidants and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
    Who Knew? Hazelnuts are also high in tryptophan, the amino acid that's the precursor to sleep-inducing serotonin and melatonin. Eating a few before bed might help you fall asleep.

Nut/Serving Size Pistachios (1 oz/about 45)
    Good Because Packed with the antioxidants lutein and beta carotene, which reduce cholesterol.
    Who Knew? One study concluded that eating three servings a day could reduce the effects of physical and mental stress on blood pressure.

Nut/Serving Size Walnuts (1 oz/about 14)
    Good Because The most significant nut source of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Who Knew? Omega-3s boost the immune system and promote heart health. A half serving contains a little more than the recommended daily value.

Nut/Serving Size Pecans (1 oz/about 20)
    Good Because Great source of fiber and antioxidants.
    Who Knew? One serving has the same amount of fiber as a medium-size apple.

http://www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/2705?utm_source=EatingWisely&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=EatingWisely
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Seems like almonds is the front runner - if I want them to gain calories then any reason to not go with roasted instead of raw? (no salt of course).
    The reason raw are best is when roasted the oils (heat) destroy the nutrients in the nuts. So to up your calories for the day might be better to go the healthier route and eat a bit more of them than eat less healthy ones. But of course that's your choice in the end.:flowerforyou:

ETA: added a bit more info
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I found this recent article about the 6 best nuts identified by the USDA: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6029190/6_best_healthiest_most_nutritious_nuts.html?cat=5

ALMONDS top the list. There's no ranking of the other 5, because all of them provide superb benefits compared to other nuts not on the USDA's top 6 list. They are pistachios, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and walnuts (my personal favorite - they're the only nuts with extremely high levels of Omega 3 fatty acids)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    for me personally uts peanuts as i dont like almonds. however almonds are supposed to be the best
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I like raw almonds!! Great sorce of protein and not as many calories as roasted.

True but roasted peanuts are higher in antioxidants if theyre roasted longer, according to Runner's World. Why not both peanuts or almonds? Walnuts are great too!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my go-to but cashews are a special treat on occasion. peanuts I don't have often as I tend to eat peanut butter so that's my peanut taken care of :P

Walnuts I use in my Christmas baking, heck get a mixed nuts bag with them in their shells, the extra work to get at them ensures you only eat a few at a time :P
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I eat the raw unsalted almonds too! :)
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Lightly salted cashews
    Brazilian Nuts
    & Pistachios

Or you could just buy mixed nuts, which are super good.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    almonds, coco almonds and almond milk is the bomb! tastes like a milkshake :drinker:
  • puertoricanlady18
    puertoricanlady18 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love Pistachios! ;)
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I think almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts are meant to have the most nutrients.