Accuracy of HRM??

Options
chryciw
chryciw Posts: 124 Member
I just got back from a 31 min. walk/jog and my HRM says I burned 445 calories. Can that possibly be right??? I have a Bell HRM that's probably 5 years old, so I'm not sure if I can trust it. My heart rate was running 140-180 the whole time. I'm doing the 1st week of C25K, so my 167 lb body is a little in shock. I don't want to overstate the calories I'm burning because then I'll end up overeating, but I don't want to discount what I'm burning or I won't eat enough. Aargh! I know I should probably upgrade to a new HRM, but I just don't have the cash at the moment.

Anyone know if a Bell is trustworthy?

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I've never heard of Bell HRMs before. Though based on the intensity of the walk/jog, and your general physical condition and weight, it's possible. I burn roughly that same amount during a 33 minute run at about 5.5 mph.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap? If not, then I would definitely not say it's accurate.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Have not heard of HRM. I tried to look it up, but did not get anything. How much distance did you cover in that time. That would determine the pace, which can help figure out if you burned that much.

great job on the walk!
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Below is a link to HRM reviews. Just remember that the more expensive ones may have some features you don't need. I personally have owned Polar brands and have been very happy.
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    Below is a link to HRM reviews. Just remember that the more expensive ones may have some features you don't need. I personally have owned Polar brands and have been very happy.

Oops :)

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of Polar HRMs. Highly recommended due to their being pretty close to ECG accurate.
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, planning on upgrading to a Polar in the future, but have to live with this one for awhile longer. It does have a chest strap, so I'm hoping it's fairly close. Just seems like a lot of calories to burn!