I am scared of sagging Skin once I lose weight! Any advice?

Options
I have a lot of lbs to lose. Over 100lbs to be exact.... I really want to lose the weight but I am scared of the aftermath. Can someone please tell me How can I avoid ending up with Saggy skin?

Replies

• xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I've researched is to not lose too fast. We've all seen biggest loser and weight loss surgery patients who have tons of extra skin, usually because their skin has no time to catch up. I've researched a lot since I have well over 100lbs to lose as well and when the weight first started coming off it freaked me out because my skin was getting loose. I researched and found a lot of reviews on youtube about MSM soap, creams & capsules. I've been using the MSM herbal soap for about a month and a half, along with the cream about once or twice a week on my tummy, thighs, arms and breasts. The cream is a small container and kind of expensive- so I use it sparingly, but I have definitely seen a difference in my skins softness and firmness. It's not a miracle worker, but it definitely helps while eating healthy and exercising- including strength training to help tone. :)
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    WHO CARES! They're battle scars and are so not worth fretting over. You'll look amazing and sagging skin will mean NOTHING one you lose the weight and feel amazing. Trust me, I know.
  • regi1
    regi1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I to have over 100 pounds to lose. Basically I have been doind toning exercises along with weigh loss exercises (cardio) to help tighen /tone. It seems to be working.
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i also worry about this, will def look up the soap though, will try anything once :)
  • leanne2376
    leanne2376 Posts: 217
    Options
    regular exercise should help
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Soap isn't going to help you. It's pretty much genetics, age, how long you've had the weight on (how long it's been stretched out), where you gained and if you have a history of yo-yo dieting. I'm 35 and after yo-yo-ing several times, I'm in definite need of a tummy tuck and upper arm surgery....after the last two times of gaining and losing, my body just didn't bounce back. It does suck, but it's done, I can only fix my head so it doesn't happen again and fix the damage and go on. In any case, losing is better than carrying the weight around for sure!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Well, how much of an issue you will have depends on lots of things, such as age and genetics. But there are things you can do to minimize the problem:

1. Lose the weight in a slow and healthy fashion. Since you have a lot to lose, it may come of fairly quickly at first. But after the first month or so, aim for no more than 2 pounds a week. This will give you skin more time to adjust to the gradual changes.
    2. Stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water will help keep your skin moisturized and therefore more elastic.
    3. Moisturize from the outside. Find a moisturizing or firming lotion that you like and use it at least once a day. (I've really been amazed at how much this one helps.)
    4. Do strength exercises to build muscle. This isn't to bulk up, but to strengthen and tone your muscles so that they are nice and firm and smooth beneath your skin.

I definitely have some issues with this, but am seeing some improvements recently. I think it will definitely take a while after I reach my goal weight/size for my skin to be at it's best potential. (I've lost about 65 pounds so far with around another 35 to go.)
  • xlacijeanx
    Options
    The soap IS helping firm my skin. I know what my skin was feeling like before and since I started using the MSM soap/ cream there has been drastic changes. Like I said, it's not a miracle worker, but helps along with a healthy diet and exercise. Try it before you bash it. Yes age and genetics are all a factor- but the soap IS helping me and many others (just search youtube)... and I hope that it can help others as well. :)
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The soap IS helping firm my skin. I know what my skin was feeling like before and since I started using the MSM soap/ cream there has been drastic changes. Like I said, it's not a miracle worker, but helps along with a healthy diet and exercise. Try it before you bash it. Yes age and genetics are all a factor- but the soap IS helping me and many others (just search youtube)... and I hope that it can help others as well. :)

thanks x
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I've researched is to not lose too fast. We've all seen biggest loser and weight loss surgery patients who have tons of extra skin, usually because their skin has no time to catch up. I've researched a lot since I have well over 100lbs to lose as well and when the weight first started coming off it freaked me out because my skin was getting loose. I researched and found a lot of reviews on youtube about MSM soap, creams & capsules. I've been using the MSM herbal soap for about a month and a half, along with the cream about once or twice a week on my tummy, thighs, arms and breasts. The cream is a small container and kind of expensive- so I use it sparingly, but I have definitely seen a difference in my skins softness and firmness. It's not a miracle worker, but it definitely helps while eating healthy and exercising- including strength training to help tone. :)

What is MSM soap?
  • ngwehner
    ngwehner Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't kid yourself the products are going to help with this. Normal skin turnover rate is about 20-28 days. This means the the remodeling your skin has to do to fit back down to your new size will take several months. Since you will hopefully be losing weight steadily until you reach your goal you may find a tendency to feel like your skin isn't quite right until you are at goal and have maintained it for about 6 months. In the meantime, developing some well toned muscle under the skin helps it all look better. It the end, depending on your genetics, age and othe factors you may want to consider some nipping and tucking, but not till you really know what your end result is.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with creams, soaps, etc. marketed toward saggy skin, but I do have saggy skin from weight loss (so does my husband). I don't want to discourage weight loss or unhealthiness in any way, but here is how I honestly feel: I hate the extra skin and sometimes it makes me want to cry because I feel like it hides all the hard work I do at the gym and with my good eating choices. I don't even think that I noticed the extra skin until I got more serious about weight training. HOWEVER, as previous posters have mentioned, skin is better than fat. Try what you want to prevent saggy skin during/after weight loss, but be prepared to accept it as proof of how far you've come. I am interested in other people's experiences with saggy skin, as it's something I think about every day, but almost never talk about (I suspect it would be a bit of conversation turn-off....).
    -LP
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    WHO CARES! They're battle scars and are so not worth fretting over. You'll look amazing and sagging skin will mean NOTHING one you lose the weight and feel amazing. Trust me, I know.

AMEN sista! I feel the same way.......its so much healthier than having the extra weight.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    If you do lose weight at a healthy weight you will have much less extra skin than if you lose it fast. it will kind of shrink with you, some people never have any, some people have a lot, its all in how the elasticity of your skin is. There isn't really anything you can do either way.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    This is also a big concern of mine! Thanks for the thoughts everyone
  • xlacijeanx
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_1oREvzZuM

Here's a link to a youtube video about a woman who's used MSM soap since she was in college, simply because she was allergic to other soaps. There's tons of reviews on youtube though, just search for it if you're interested. I know Whole Foods doesnt have the soap, but they have Emergency drink mix, powder and capsule forms of MSM that is just a natural herb used for skin & hair health.... no weird chemicals or anything just natural organic sulfur/ antioxidants that help the skin replenish.

Nothing works for everyone, but since it's helping me personally... I thought I'd share. :)

You can buy MSM soap/cream/pills at amazon.com
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight and even though i do have quite a bit of sagging skin it is slowly shrinking
    i dont know if it will ever be nice and tight without surgery but each month it is getting smaller
    i have heard it can take up to a year of maintence for your skin to get to where it can and beyond
    that i dunno. I know some essential oils can help but i havent fully researched which ones and now
    i wanna try that soap.
  • Awsum2000
    Awsum2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As the previous posters stated, make sure you drink a lot of water. I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time and have sagging skin around my tummy and thighs. It is discouraging because in clothes no one can see, but without clothes, to me, yuck!! It also depends on how long you were overweight as well. I have a friend that was 600lbs (yes) 6'8' and had weight loss surgery. He is now like around 300 lbs but a great deal of that weight is skin. Because he carried that amount of weight for over 20 years, and even though he exercises daily and drinks the water, the only thing that will help him is plastic surgery.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - I'm concerned as well - I have 80 pounds to lose, and have noticed, just in three weeks, that my skin feels flabbier and more smooshy...I don't know if that makes sense - but I assume it's because I lost 15 pounds or so in the first three weeks (water weight, etc. - I quit drinking Dr. Pepper cold turkey - from 6+ a day). This past week I have lost between 1 and 2 pounds - a more reasonable amount, I think...and what will probably be my average weight loss.

I DO know that the last time I lost a great deal of weight was when I was breastfeeding - I lost 50+ pounds fairly quickly, and my skin was super-saggy at first, but I stayed hydrated, used a decent moisturizer (nothing fancy - I prefer Jergens or Vaseline Intensive Care - or even Lubriderm), but six months later, my skin started tightening up and was looking much, much better - I think it just took some time to catch up, like some previous posters have said. Of course, during all of that, I never changed my eating habits or anything...so it all came back.

I'm just hoping and praying that my skin will do the same thing this time around. I've got my fingers crossed - but hey, if I have alot of saggy skin after I'm done, well, so be it. At least I'll have my energy back, and will be a healthier me. That's important for me, and for my daughter - who I need to set a good example for, and who I need to be alive for!!!

Good luck!!!
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options

:smile: "battle scars" - Love it.