Never been able to lose weight

enelson96
enelson96 Posts: 14 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
I exercise at least 4-5 times a week, for an hour or more. I do the treadmill, running half the time and I do weights. Sometimes I do the stationary bike.

I eat really healthy also. I have vegetables, fruits, everything I need in my diet daily.

I am also a vegetarian and have been for 7 months.

My weight has been a constant 150 pounds. I am 5'7.

What is the matter? Why have I never been able to lose weight?

Replies

• Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Your going to have to make your diary public so that people can see what it is you are actually eating before we can give you any suggestions.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    At 150 and 5'7", you're at a healthy weight - actually in the middle of the range. It is going to be very slow going to lose weight. Set your Goals at "Lose 1/2 pound a week" Eat your exercise calories - you cannot get away with trying to lose faster when you are starting from a healthy weight already. Your body is very happy right where it is. You will have to eat the exercise calories - people who have a lot of weight to lose can afford not to eat them. You can't.

You're going to have to really step up your workouts, and change them up frequently.

Good luck.

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    If you're doing weights then you're building muscle and losing fat so the scale may not register any changes. Sounds like a great trade-off!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    I am 5'7'' and I would not want to weight less than 150, that is where I am trying to get to right now.

it is most likely all muscle mass as well doing work outs like that.
  • enelson96
    enelson96 Posts: 14 Member
    Ok, I just made everything public.
  • I workout hard everyday.. atleast 6 days a week, stay under my 1300 calories and lost but then outta no where i gained 2 pounds.. its very frustrating and upsetting when your working so hard and you gain.. wish i knew what was going on.. but im not a health pro so i dunno.
  • I looked at your diary for the week..it seems you are not eating all day..maybe breakfast and lunch...your metabolism may have slowed down a lot....you should be eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack....8 glasses of water....maybe try this to kick your metabolism in gear...I'm not an expert...just my suggestion...:wink:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    monitor your calories.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    If you're doing weights then you're building muscle and losing fat so the scale may not register any changes. Sounds like a great trade-off!

you cant do both..its phisologically impossible
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    Ok, I just made everything public.

Try adding some dairy - either cheese or milk. Calcium is very important to weight loss and to a healthy skeletal system. Especially at your age, you need lots of Calcium. This is something you should track at age 18 - it's that important. At your age you are still building healthy bone mass. Please get enough Calcium or you will be very sorry when you reach your 40s, 50s and beyond.

Also add nuts and healthy fats. Nuts are a quick way to get Magnesium, Protein and other nutrients you miss by becoming Vegan. Eat more beans, another good source of protein for Vegans. Until you get a handle on your nutrition I would suggest a good Vegan multivitamin/mineral supplement. It's hard to get the right nutrients on a restricted calorie/vegan diet. Just my preference.....

If you are really leaving 500 calories uneaten, that is your problem right there. YOU CANNOT AFFORD to bypass your calorie needs when you have so little fat in reserve already. Eat. :smile:
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member

This is incorrect, it IS physically possible to lose fat, but gain muscle at the same time.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215

This is incorrect, it IS physically possible to lose fat, but gain muscle at the same time.

Muscle burns fat for fuel.
  • Thanks for all the help everyone!
This discussion has been closed.