What's Working for You?

Options
Jazzart
Jazzart Posts: 28 Member
I'm new to the site and I have been looking at all of the weight being lost on here and I wanted to know what is the one absolute thing that works for you. I'm also looking for more friends to be motivated by and help motivate so feel free to add me as a friend.

Thanks,

Joe

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i am bulking now..not trying to lose weight.

but when i was cutting i was doing weights for 40 mins, cardio 50 every day..EVERY day. eat healthy good foods. calorie deficit dont eat back exercise cals..switch up exercises and rest every month or so. rest for a good week..just watch what you eat and let your body relax and recover.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    the one "secret" absolute thing that works? I don't want to sound sarcastic.. please don't hear it that way. No matter what quick thing comes along, no matter what the new rave diet is or kick-butt workout, it comes down to this: more calories out than in. It's a long haul situation, otherwise you'll gain it back in short order. The thing that has enabled me to have the success I've had so far is the religious tracking of everything I put in my mouth, which causes me to stop and think about what I put in my mouth in the first place. It also teaches portion size, which leads to portion control. I also took up running about six months ago. I was never, ever a runner, not even in my athletic high school days (20 years ago!).. but I figured, what the heck? And it works like gangbusters. Boy, do you lean down real nice by running. I started with the C25K program the week of Halloween last fall and managed to stick with it through WV bad weather, and three major holidays (four if you count all the chocolate I didn't eat for valentine's day!).. It's a completely doable and cost effective program (meaning all it costs is good running shoes, no gym membership, no fancy DVDs, etc. Just follow the program and run!) Now I'm training for my first half marathon. Quite a lot of success in a short amount of time, and I'm nothing special. Just someone who plugs along on the same path every single day, watching what I eat, and making sure I get a good burn 5 or 6 times a week.
    I hope this helps. :)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You're probably going to get a TON of different answers to this question because everyone's body is so different. For me, I've lost weight by watching what I eat, cutting certain things (like high fructose corn syrup) out of my diet, working out and drinking tons of water. I am one who eats back my exercise calories and it works for me - when I don't, I gain weight. I run on the treadmill and do strength training.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference for me came from counting calories and tracking my food intake. If you can afford it, I highly recommend a food scale so you can get an accurate idea of your portion sizes, and a heart rate monitor to track your calories burned.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me... watching what I eat, and getting off my duff and moving. It took a lifetime to gain the weight, it's going to take time to get rid of it. Be patient with yourself. Don't fall for any of the quick fix diets, pills, shakes, or exercise gadgets. They don't work. If you really want to spend some money so you think you are doing the right thing, get a good digital oz/g scale, heart rate monitor, and find some sort of exercise you LIKE to do. You can still have anything you want, you just have to work them in your daily calories or workout and earn them.

Good Luck!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    For me I had one big thing, I had to be WILLING to give up foods I liked.
    Now I just count calories, I don't eat back calories from exercise and I cut out
    a lot of junk. Starbucks, fast food, sugary stuff. I am at 33 pounds with a lot to go,but MAKING PROGRESS :)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Eating like a bodybuilder but less food and working out like a fitness model..:wink:
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    My biggest things changed were cutting my carbs..sugars..calories and fat...I swim at least 4 times a week and exercise daily to tone where I am losing . I don't add any sodium and use all fresh foods..no pre packaged or takeout. Mind you..all thse things were foreign to me a few months ago! Look at this as a rebirth of you.. a new beginning instead of a diet...and be kind to yourself.. good luck and friend me if you want..
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I have two absolute things that work for me:

1. I record everything I eat, cause it keeps me honest with myself. At the end of the day when I see the numbers looking good, I feel successful, and motivated to keep going.

2. I have to stay away from sugar and MSG because, for me, they are appetite stimulants. I proved this to myself again recently when I had a piece of cake for my birthday. The next day, I couldn't stop thinking about food. Even though I was eating normally, I was hungry and pestered by cravings for sweets. Two days later, I was so hungry, I ate all my calories before noon, then ended up eating another 400 for dinner. The third day was easier, and the by the fourth I was back to a normal appetite/hunger pattern with no obsessive cravings.

I wouldn't have made it through those three days without sugar if I didn't believe there was an end to the torture in sight. Now there's an Easter theme for you - resurrection after the third day! Ha!

For years I tried the "everything in moderation" approach, and the "don't deprive yourself, or you'll end up on a binge" philosophy. That was all wrong for me. I had someone tell me "It's not your fault, it's your body's reaction to sugar that is making you out of control." I cried. It was such a relief having someone acknowledge what I knew all along - that my overeating was beyond my control - that there was a force out there that would always be stronger than me. I cried because someone believed me, and wasn't accusing me of making excuses for myself, or accusing me of being weak or negative or irresponsible or lazy or gutless.

She told me that if I gave up sugar (and simple carbs) it would be miserable for a few days, after which I would be on a level playing field with "normal" people who had self control around food. She was right, and that simple truth has changed my life.

Was it worth the birthday cake? Yeah, probably, but I don't want to do it again for a long, long time!
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sheer determination and eating the food I like. It's not always the healthiest choices and I do tend to rely a lot on ready meals but I tried eating clean but I would never have stuck to it. Fortunately I don't have a sweet tooth but I'm a bit too fond of salt and caffeine and I am trying alternatives. Retaining a logical attitude when the scales say I've gained weight when I know that it's due to a cold or other illness because I know it's temporary and will come off next week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!