AARRGG!...and that is not my pirate impression!

Options
I am SO frustrated! :explode: I walk approx 2.5 miles 4-5 times a week and I am getting HORRIBLE shin splints! :mad: I have been walking for 2 months, I do it after work (that is the only time I can do it), I stretch my calves before hand, I have arch supports in my shoes (both suggestions from my cousin who is a physical therapist) and I drink 64+ oz of water a day! :grumble: Somebody PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can do differently so that I do not get these any more! I am in pain!:cry:

Replies

• tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    I am SO frustrated! :explode: I walk approx 2.5 miles 4-5 times a week and I am getting HORRIBLE shin splints! :mad: I have been walking for 2 months, I do it after work (that is the only time I can do it), I stretch my calves before hand, I have arch supports in my shoes (both suggestions from my cousin who is a physical therapist) and I drink 64+ oz of water a day! :grumble: Somebody PLEASE tell me what I am doing wrong or what I can do differently so that I do not get these any more! I am in pain!:cry:
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    How new/good are your shoes?? My son is a runner and he used to get shin spints when his shoes were getting worn out, and I know your cousin is a PT, but my son had inserts and his trainer told him to get them out!! He said that if you buy good shoes, the padding in them is sufficient. NOt trying to knowck anyone at all, just pasing on the info that I learned:wink:
  • kristin45305
    Options
    I also get bad shin splints. My solution is to use an eliptical machine instead which is a really good workout but has NEVER given me shin splints. Although, you probably need to give your shins a break for about 3 or 4 days first.
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    My shoes are new and they are good walking/hiking shoes. They are Merrell Chameleon's whisch are made for walking/hiking. I have the arch supports in them because I have high arches and severe pronation (ankles turn in) of my feet.
  • sjthompson
    Options
    I also have high arches and pronation and love to walk, shin splints were awful until I bit the bullet and went to a proper foot doctor for perscription orthodics. With those I have been able to do 3 long distance walks, the Coast to Coast in England, (193 miles, 13 days) part of the Cornish Costal path(100 miles 17 days) and most recently the Wicklow mountains in Ireland. The orthodics were a real investment but worth it.