Do I have to eat all of my calories

Options
Or if I eat less will it actually help me out faster?

Replies

• bryankuban
    Options
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    If you eat too many less, your body will go into starvation mode, and your metabolism will slow way down to preserve the fat/energy you already have and make it sooooooo much harder to lose weight...I just found this out, I thought the same thing, but my Dr. said that could be a big reason I'm not seeing results. good luck to you.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hey,

You should try to eat the calories given to you and at least some of those you earn through exercise to keep your net calories (the calories actually taken into your body after exercise) at a healthy level.

I know it seems like it will take forever to lose weight doing it the slower and healthier way but trust me, it won't take near as long as you think it will. Just take it a week at a time and before you know it, the small losses will add up! And in doing it slower and healthier, you are helping to insure that the weight stays off.

I hope this helped!! Good luck to you!
    -Tami
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm 60 lbs overweight, so if at the end of the day, after counting in my exercise, I might not eat all those calories. But I will be at least somewhat close. As I lose weight, however, then it will be more crucial to eat those exercise calories. So, it all depends on just where *you* are at with ergards to your weight, goals, and status.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    That depends on many things but it's safe to say that you have to eat to the level your body needs whether that's all of your calories or just to a certain level. If you don't get enough calories you put your body into starvation mode and it can not only affect your vital body organs it can, when you start eating more again, put weight on instead of keeping it off.

There have been many threads on this topic on this site.

My methodology is to eat to the recommended calorie level EXCLUDING the exercise calories. I do this because when I entered my details on MFP the site calculated my workout routine into the base calorie count.

I believe there's an anomoly on the site that calculates your exercise again even though you choose to enter your exercise into your log and not into your meal plan. Because of this I only eat to the base calories and if I do get hungry I will eat a healthy snack betwen meals to keep myself from feeling hungry and therefore drive me to craving food. This has worked for me and I seldom have to eat extra foods during the day.

So it really is up to you as to what you do with your calorie consumption but do it smartly and pay attention to what your body needs and not what your mind tries to convince you it needs. :happy:

Bob
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you need to, you're a cutie!

Gosh, I'm so rude! Welcome and Good Luck!
  • Dmprbst
    Dmprbst Posts: 45 Member
    Options

It's better if you do.

Read this, it helps understand a little better here's the link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • bryankuban
    Options
    So here is another question to throw a curve ball in. I have a hypo thyroid. I have to take synthroid in order to matoblize. I know of people that have a hyper thyroid that can eat anything that they want and not gain a oz. Is there any safe way to just up my matoblism slightly but safely.