Dummy down the resume?

Options
soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
Had a small debate in another forum. I don't think I will. Not that it's wrong. My thinking is this, why not give the employer a bargain. If they are uncomfortable with that then I think that reflects their lack of self confidence.

Seems to be several theories on this. One theory is they fear you will be looking for another position as soon as you can. So they lose some investment. Might be true. Still what is the turnover they are experiencing anyway.

Then I think what kind of employee would I hire. I want an employee who not only shows up to do the basic task but wants to grow and wants the company to grow and is capable of contributing to that end.

Then as some have noted they didn't get many interviews until they dropped the education level. It seems to be a conundrum.

However, I do keep in mind that a resume is a tool to get you an interview so relating to the job is the only way no matter what your credentials or experience.

I guess you have to look at the position closely. What started the debate is I applied for a job as a Production Supervisor in a bakery. I have 13 years experience in the baking industry. Then I went on to school and earned a B.S., then a Masters, and finally passed the CPA exam. So yes I'm an accountant. Still though what Supervisor job doesn't deal with numbers. They deal with stats all the time, waste, labor, efficiencies, and numerous reports. It doesn't mean I'm giving up accounting at all. Why not hire someone who knows and understands the reporting requirements. Someone who not just jots the numbers down but knows how they originate and how they affect the bottom line.

What bothers me about the position is the minimal qualifications. The job pays well. Yet the qualifications are an Associates degree or 5 years experience with with a high school education or a GED. I'm just not sure what management is thinking.

I can clearly see myself in this position contributing strongly. If I get an interview I'm sure I can demonstrate the advantages.

Replies

• yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Interesting problem...

I have worked to build a strong resume for 10 years, but now my goals have changed. I no longer want the responsibility. I recently interviewed for a position with less responsibility than my current job. The interviewers read my resume at the interview and were clearly impressed. I would assume that my resume shows equal or better experience than those interviewing me. Not sure if I will get the job. I am hopeful that I will get the position, but know that something else will come around if I don't.

I wouldn't dummy down your resume. My feeling is that if they don't want you because you are "too qualified" then they would probably not be a good match for you. Never good to have a working relationship with someone who in not confident in their qualifications or who is intimidated by your abilities.

Good luck!
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Interesting problem...

I have worked to build a strong resume for 10 years, but now my goals have changed. I no longer want the responsibility. I recently interviewed for a position with less responsibility than my current job. The interviewers read my resume at the interview and were clearly impressed. I would assume that my resume shows equal or better experience than those interviewing me. Not sure if I will get the job. I am hopeful that I will get the position, but know that something else will come around if I don't.

I wouldn't dummy down your resume. My feeling is that if they don't want you because you are "too qualified" then they would probably not be a good match for you. Never good to have a working relationship with someone who in not confident in their qualifications or who is intimidated by your abilities.

Good luck!

Sounds sane to me. Thanks!
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    I agree. Don't dummy down a resume. Your resume should accurately reflect your experience & skills. Use your cover to explain your goals and to elaborate on how you are qualified for the position you are applying for.