Omnaris?

Options
I'm supposed to start using Omnaris for my allergies but one of the side effects is sudden weight gain. Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start using Omnaris for my allergies but one of the side effects is sudden weight gain. Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts?

A steroid nasal spray is not going to make you gain weight. It's a topical steroid, not a systemic steroid.

While I've never used Omnaris, I have used Flonase and other steroid nasal sprays for my allergies since 1992 and I can honestly say it did not put a single pound on me. If anything, it helped me to lose weight because I could actually breathe! You don't even realize how poor your sleep is when you can't breathe properly and how that just saps your energy, mental alertness and willpower. Actually BREATHING makes an enormous difference in your energy levels!

I also stopped getting sinus infections once the steroid nasal spray was introduced.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have been using a steroid nasal spray since last fall, actually during most of my weight loss journey. I haven't noticed any side effects and certainly not weight gain.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks - its good to hear from someone who has been there. I was concerned because it was listed as a side effect. I never thought about how being more alert could help with my weight loss journey.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    Thanks - its good to hear from someone who has been there. I was concerned because it was listed as a side effect. I never thought about how being more alert could help with my weight loss journey.

No exaggeration here: once I was using the steroid nasal spray, I started waking up refreshed for the first time in my life! I actually called the doctor and asked "Do other people feel like this ALL THE TIME?" I just couldn't get over it! One of my big allergies is to dust mites, so sleeping gives me a huge dose of that allergen each night. The nasal spray really made a remarkable difference.

P.S.: If you are also by chance allergic to dust mites, buy new pillows every 3 months or so. It helps a lot!
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    same as above!
    ...the most common side effect are nosebleeds. Nothing major.
    You'll breathe better and feel better, you'll have more energy to exercice.
  • Atlantique
    Options
    same as above!
    ...the most common side effect are nosebleeds. Nothing major.
    You'll breathe better and feel better, you'll have more energy to exercice.

I did sometimes get nosebleeds in the winter months, when fewer of my outdoor allergens were around to bother me. But now I just cut back to using the nasal spray 1xper day in the winter and no more nosebleeds.

And for me, they weren't 'spontaneous' nosebleeds. It was more that if I blew my nose too hard, I'd get a minor nosebleed. ;)
  • Atlantique
    Options
    One other thing to note:

This is a TOPICAL steroid. The idea is that it is applied to the mucous membranes in your nose and sinuses, not that you inhale it into your lungs or swallow it. It's supposed to reduce swelling in the mucous membranes of your nose and sinuses and therby clear your airways.

So when you pump it into your nose, BREATHE NORMALLY. No need for a 'big deep breath' or worse yet, a snort. If you inhale normally through your nose, mouth closed, while spraying it, the medication will reach the correct tissues and be quite effective. If you inhale really deeply or snort, it's all going to go down the back of your throat. That's awesome if you want to cure a sore throat, but it won't do much for your rhinitis!

My mom used to literally snort hers and then wondered why it didn't work. She wouldn't believe me. Oh no. She finally had to go to the Dr. with the meds and have them convince her. LOL

It's normal to have a FAINT taste of the med right after using it. If it's a strong taste, you're probably inhaling too deeply and therefore the medication is not hitting the right tissues. ;) It takes most people a few tries to get it right, so don't worry. You'll get it!