what does it mean when.. (your opinion)

Options
what do you think it means when your jaw pops every time you eat something?

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    you might have tmj..i speak from personal experience
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    that means your jaw is too close together, and they bump together making the clicking noise..go see a dentist to get them back in line ( which may mean wearing a tooth mold ) it's hard to explain
  • MamaCop
    MamaCop Posts: 1
    Options
    Do you have allergies? Once in awhile when my allergies act up and my ears are kind of stuffy, my jaw will pop for the majority of the day. Usually decongestant works for me and a nasal rinse. If it's not your allergies and your jaw continues to pop, make sure you see your dentist and/or doctor soon!
  • cyans1996
    cyans1996 Posts: 63
    Options
    what does the mold do?
  • cyans1996
    Options
    I am like ellergic to alot of stuff.....
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

Yeah sounds like TMJ to me. Do you have pain as well? If it is at all painful or causing you problems you should for sure see a doctor or a dentist.

My jaw had always popped and made weird noises while eating, but then one Christmas my jaw like popped out of place and wouldn't go back. I was in so much pain for days so I went and saw a doctor and was diagnosed with TMJ. After that it happened a few more times and I was fitted with molded mouth guard type thing that I wear at night to keep my jaw in the right place (well move it back is more accurate) and the pain has all but disappeared. My jaw still pops, but there isn't any more pain.
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    TMJ refers to the joints in the jaw. TMD or TMJ syndrome is the actual disorder of the joints and has nothing to do with your jaw bones being too close together....

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD or TMD), or TMJ syndrome, is an umbrella term covering acute or chronic inflammation of the temporomandibular joint, which connects the mandible to the skull. The disorder and resultant dysfunction can result in significant pain and impairment. Because the disorder transcends the boundaries between several health-care disciplines — in particular, dentistry and neurology — there are a variety of treatment approaches.

The temporomandibular joint is susceptible to many of the conditions that affect other joints in the body, including ankylosis, arthritis, trauma, dislocations, developmental anomalies, and neoplasia.

An older name for the condition is "Costen's syndrome", after James B. Costen, who partially characterized it in 1934.[1][2][3][4]

Signs and symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder vary in their presentation and can be very complex, but are often simple. On average the symptoms will involve more than one of the numerous TMJ components: muscles, nerves, tendons, ligaments, bones, connective tissue, and the teeth.[5] Ear pain associated with the swelling of proximal tissue is a symptom of temporomandibular joint disorder.

Symptoms associated with TMJ disorders may be:
    Biting or chewing difficulty or discomfort
    Clicking, popping, or grating sound when opening or closing the mouth
    Dull, aching pain in the face
    Earache (particularly in the morning)
    Headache (particularly in the morning)
    Hearing loss
    Migraine (particularly in the morning)
    Jaw pain or tenderness of the jaw
    Reduced ability to open or close the mouth
    Tinnitus
    Neck and shoulder pain

Good luck!! I have TMD also and it can really flare badly. If it becomes more of an irritant check with your dentist. There are a variety of things you can do to help ease it.
  • cyans1996
    Options

Yeah sounds like TMJ to me. Do you have pain as well? If it is at all painful or causing you problems you should for sure see a doctor or a dentist.

My jaw had always popped and made weird noises while eating, but then one Christmas my jaw like popped out of place and wouldn't go back. I was in so much pain for days so I went and saw a doctor and was diagnosed with TMJ. After that it happened a few more times and I was fitted with molded mouth guard type thing that I wear at night to keep my jaw in the right place (well move it back is more accurate) and the pain has all but disappeared. My jaw still pops, but there isn't any more pain.

i wear a retainer after having braces for 5 years...
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

i wear a retainer after having braces for 5 years...

I had a retainer as well, but then I had a specialty mold made that is kind of similar to a retainer. It's molded from my bottom teeth and "pops" into place when I put it in. Was a bit tight and painful when I first got it, but I've noticed a lot of improvement. I've had to get it re-molded a few times since then, to ensure it still works. If the popping bothers you I would definitely see a doctor/dentist to see what they can do for you.
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with MamaCop. It could be congestion affecting the pressures, if you suffer from allergies or a cold, you might want to try a decongestant for a couple of days.

Or you might have "tweaked" your jaw joint (TMJ). Your jaw is a joint just like any other in your body and sometimes we can "hurt" it. The best remedy for that would be an over-the-counter medication like Advil (if you can take it) and rest! Baby your jaw by eating soft foods for a few days and not overextending it by opening large.

Or you may have a bigger issue, true TMJ dysfunction, perhaps bite related, tension/clenching related, or grinding related. If the discomfort persists for more than a couple of days, I would see your dentist. Try to establish a pattern (when it happened, how long, if you woke up with it, etc) and discuss it with him/her. Your dentist may discuss an appliance for true TMJ dysfunction, he would take impressions of your teeth, make a mold, then fabricate a small, clear, "plastic" appliance worn on the front of your teeth. This appliance re-aligns your joint back into "neutral". Kind of like what a front-end alignment does to your car.

Well sorry for the long winded reply. BEST of luck to you!!!!
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I've gotten that before but not from eating, just when I open my mouth real wide, like yawning and stuff. It's not painful though just hate that clacking sound.