Do you reccomend piercing your own ear?

Options
harls
harls Posts: 88 Member
I want to add another lobe piercing to each of my ears before I go get an industrial. I'm definitely getting the industrial done professionally, but I'm wondering if I can just do the lobe piercings at home. I've been doing research on it and it looks like it should be fine as long as you know what you're doing and I have a fairly good idea of what I'm doing.

Any personal experiences highly appreciated (: Thanks!

Replies

• Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Do you have any prior ear peircing experience? Hmm? I wouldn't recommend that you try it out on yourself. Especially since you have never done it before. You only get one go at it, and who wants a dodgy hole in their ear? Not to mention everything else that can go wrong...eugh.

It's not even that expensive.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    why wouldnt you just go and get it done?? you can get lobe piercings done at many places for free as long as you buy the earrings....just dont buy the most expensive!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i would just go get it done. what if you put the hole in crooked? it's like 15 bucks or 20 bucks to have your ear pierced somewhere. as unhygienic as some places could be, at home wouldn't be much better
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Ouch! No!
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ok so i know a lot about piercings,i have more than a few.. seriously don't do it, infection sucks and piercers are trained for a reason.. you hit the wrong area and hello nerve damage,,,i just would not risk it, you shouldn't be able to get piercing needles easily and anything else would just damage your tissue, i don't even want to start on piercing guns * shudders*
  • Amberina23
    Amberina23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is too cheap these days not to have a professional do it. I would not want to risk the infection, or having it crooked. Plus, with the professional gun thing, it's done in a milisecond. At home, you have to ice your ear and then shove a needle through it, which takes forever (we did it in jr hi to a friend-it was gross!).
  • lethalsarcasm
    Options
    while it can be ok for some if they are lucky, if anything goes wrong you usually don't get a do-over. My sister had a bad peircing when she was younger and it caused so much scar tissue that to this day she cannot get another peircing and her earlobes are all purple and twice their normal size from the scar tissue. She's very self-concious of them and even though she's gone to the doctor to see what can be done, steroid creams and everything haven't made an appreciable difference. I'm sure this doesn't happen to everyone, but I certainly wouldn't risk it.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I dated a piercer and asked him if I could pierce my own ear once and he said it's a really bad idea to pierce yourself, even if you can do the job cleanly. It's really hard to get a straight hole on yourself, especially your ear. A crooked hole is the worst too, you have to let it heal and then you have scar tissue and it's hard to ever get a straight hole after that. Poof, big mess. I'm sure you know all about how to keep things sterile and stuff, but you'll probably be better off having someone who has more experience doing it.
  • sunnny218
    sunnny218 Posts: 16
    Options
    I pierced my own ears and it was fine...but I was 13 and wouldnt do it again now.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I once pierced my belly myself..
    I went and bought a needle and some of that cleaning stuff for piercings..
    Although i didn't go quite as planned..
    Belly skin has many layers... and i ended up trying all sorts of methods to get it throo.
    We set the needle on fire hopeing it would burn straight throo my skin, we froze it hopeing it would numb the pain...
    And then i eventually got this needle throo after 5 hours of slow, painful pushing..
    Anyway the whole was too small so i ended up having to put a safety pin throo my belly so that it didn't heel up..
    until i had the courage to try and get something bigger to go throo my belly..
    Anyway after a week of wearing a safety pin, i finally made the whole big anoth to fit throo a belly bar.
    But unfortunately all of this work had made the whole open more towards the outside of my skin...
    And about a couple of months later, the whole was so close to the edge of my belly that one day i layed down and it just flew out..
    So now i have a giant scar over the top of my belly button and a piece of skin that hangs over it, and cant go back to its original shape because of the scar...
    I then tryed to pierce it again about a year later to hide the scar.. and i tryed to go a lot deeper, and i ended up accidently sticking the whiole needle into my stomache, i nearlly lost it lol....
    All i can say is im never going to try to pierce anything myself ever again!!

Piercers are proffesionals!
    You might be scared of putting your body into some ones else's hands / you may not be able to afford it!
    But please, dont do it..
    There are so many things that could go wrong!!
  • Rockin33
    Rockin33 Posts: 58
    Options
    I pierced my own ears and it was fine...but I was 13 and wouldnt do it again now.

DITTO
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Back in the day it was what we did at slumber parties and the like. Yet, as people have said, it's too inexpensive to not just allow a pro do it, sanitized and straight.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    If you do it, DON'T try the cartilage! I speak from personal experience. If it gets infected the pain is UNREAL!

When I was 14 I did my own second lobe holes. They went fine (still have them) and then I tried the cartilage. Being tougher flesh, it took longer to penetrate (also took longer because it hurt more). The longer you take, the higher the risk of infection. A LOT higher.

The piercing pagoda people aren't necessarily professionals - they just have professional tools. That's why they're safer. They use gloves, the only thing that touches you when you break the skin is sterilized stuffs, and it's *fast*.

Even my second holes got a mild infection. It cleared up without much pain though. There's always a risk, but I understand the "body control" and need to do it yourself. I love my second holes more than my first ones. :-D
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I would also like to add that although i did it myself i didn't get an infection..
    If you do go against everyones warnings and still decide to do it yourself!
    Atleast make sure you buy a good steraliser!
  • harls
    harls Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It is too cheap these days not to have a professional do it. I would not want to risk the infection, or having it crooked. Plus, with the professional gun thing, it's done in a milisecond. At home, you have to ice your ear and then shove a needle through it, which takes forever (we did it in jr hi to a friend-it was gross!).

See, the guns that most places (everywhere but real piercers/tattoo artists really) use is unhygienic and can cause your ear to be kinda in a "shock mode" and all kinds of complications. Also, at home you aren't supposed to ice your skin because it causes it to be rough and possibly bleed more. That's why I'm thinking I can do it myself if I do it the same way a professional piercer does it, you know?

Thank you for all of the responses. By the way, it isn't about the money, I just wanted to do it myself.
  • SusieB01
    SusieB01 Posts: 89
    Options
    Please be sure to get the holes even! You'll be sorry later if you don't. I did my own when I was 14 and they're slightly different. You only notice it when I wear dangle earrings. I've been told it's hard to notice, but I'm self conscious about it and don't wear dangles often.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I tried to pierce my own ear when I was 15. Ended up with a split chin instead....who would think a 120 lb kid could hit the bathroom sink that hard....lol
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend doing your own piercing.
    When I was younger I did my second set of ear piercings, besides painful, taking ages to do they didnt end up evenly spaced from the first set.