Why do i need water?!

Options
Ok, water is a lot discussed, and i have heard that you can burn more kcals if you drink more cold water. Some says "drink water!!" to they who suffer and never lose any weight.
I have tried to drink water, but i really can't. I know it doesn't makes me fat, but anyhow my weight increases, which makes me so depressed, i can't take it. Therefore, i barely drink.

Will i lose weight faster if i drink more water ???

Replies

• amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yes. what people are telling you isnt just for fun. your body stores water if it isnt getting enough, and when it does get enough it releases its stored water, causing your weight to drop.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    yes! your body uses water to flush out excess liquids. drink 64 oz of water a day. seriously. you might gain the first few days because your body isn't used to all the water, but after a few days your body will recognize it's getting all that water so you'll sweat it all out when you work out. It is crucial to the weight loss process. A lot of times, when someone loses weight and still has one problem area that won't go away, it's because they dont drink enough water. It's hard at first, and you'll have to pee a lot, but it so worth it. Just don't weigh in for a couple days
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily that you will lose weight faster, it is that when you body is well hydrated, it releases extra water it is retaining. Thus, you weigh less. When you are dehydrated, your body holds onto every last ounce of water you have, causing you to weigh more. If nothing else, you should at least be drinking 64 ounces of fluids each day for your kidneys. I passed my first kidney stone at 30 years old and need to drink 2 - 3 liters of water each day and reduce my protein and sodium intake to help prevent future ones.
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    yes. what people are telling you isnt just for fun. your body stores water if it isnt getting enough, and when it does get enough it releases its stored water, causing your weight to drop.
  • EmmaShorter
    EmmaShorter Posts: 298
    Options
    Ok let's see if this makes more sense out of it. Your body needs water in order to work. If you do not replenish the water you use just by living or especially during exercise then your body holds onto the little water it has and therefore you retain water and your weight either goes up or takes longer to go down. So if you drink water your body says ok I am getting plenty of fluids I can use this little bit and waste the rest (i.e. you pass it). You may notice as you first start to take more water in that you perhaps gain but this will eventually cancel out. Hope that helps!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ok, water is a lot discussed, and i have heard that you can burn more kcals if you drink more cold water. Some says "drink water!!" to they who suffer and never lose any weight.
    I have tried to drink water, but i really can't. I know it doesn't makes me fat, but anyhow my weight increases, which makes me so depressed, i can't take it. Therefore, i barely drink.

That "cold water burns more calories" trope gets thrown around a lot on here and it's WAY overplayed. Yes, your body burns an infinitesimal amount of calories to warm that water up. Not enough to bother counting. Single digits.

You do not gain weight because you drank water unless you were previously grossly dehydrated (which you may be if you avoid all liquids). In fact, consuming sufficient water every day actually KEEPS you from retaining water because your body knows that it will receive an adequate supply.

Everything in your body depends on adequate water intake, so drink up. You don't have to be a purist about it--you can flavor it!

ETA: A lot of people have said that you will lose more weight if you adequately hydrate yourself. This is true in the sense that you may drop water weight, yes. But it's not going to help you lose fat any more quickly. The large drops in scale weight that many people see the first week or so of a diet is mainly water.

If you ever need a quick check on your hydration level, look at your pee. It should be clear or very pale yellow. If it's any darker than that, you aren't drinking enough.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Mmm I LOOOOOOOVE WATER & Green Tea :wink:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Water is super important. Not just to help you lose or maintain a healthy weight. Our bodies are composed of about 2/3 of water, and it's needed for many functions. It helps with metabolism, regulates our body temperature, protects vital organs, protects joints and helps to moisturize them, and many many more.

Just to give you an idea of water in our bodies: muscle consists of 75% water, the brain consists of 90% of water, bone consists of 22% of water, and blood consists of 83% water.

The brain is composed of 90% water! If you aren't drinking enough that may be why you have migraines/headaches or are feeling tired the majority of the time. Water helps with digestion and I've noticed a big difference in my skin since drinking enough water, it's not dry anymore and I barely break out.

If you don't like the taste of it.. who cares, your body needs it. Just start drinking it, you'll get used to the taste.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Don't like water? Fake it til you do.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "Water has always been an important and life-sustaining drink to humans and is essential to the survival of all organisms.[1] Excluding fat, water composes approximately 70% of the human body by mass. It is a crucial component of metabolic processes and serves as a solvent for many bodily solutes. Health authorities have historically suggested at least eight glasses, eight fluid ounces each (240 ml), of water per day (64 fluid ounces, or 1.89 litres),["
  • BiancaNayomi
    Options
    Water is super important. Not just to help you lose or maintain a healthy weight. Our bodies are composed of about 2/3 of water, and it's needed for many functions. It helps with metabolism, regulates our body temperature, protects vital organs, protects joints and helps to moisturize them, and many many more.

Just to give you an idea of water in our bodies: muscle consists of 75% water, the brain consists of 90% of water, bone consists of 22% of water, and blood consists of 83% water.

The brain is composed of 90% water! If you aren't drinking enough that may be why you have migraines/headaches or are feeling tired the majority of the time. Water helps with digestion and I've noticed a big difference in my skin since drinking enough water, it's not dry anymore and I barely break out.

If you don't like the taste of it.. who cares, your body needs it. Just start drinking it, you'll get used to the taste.

I never said anything about the TASTE, did i?? I know it is important, it's just so hard to drink it and feel my stomach blow up and weigh more. Does it really help the metabolism? That would be nice, though.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Girl do you know how much of your body is made up of water?! U better get to drinking! I don't drink water for weight loss; I drink it for my health!
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Just drink it.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Our bodies need water to function properly, this isn't simply about losing weight! But when our bodies are functioning properly than weightloss is more likely to happen. My main reason for drinking water is so that my brain is clear and focused, my memory is better, etc.. Water is EXTREMELY important period!

• BiancaNayomi
    Options
    Well, the sad part here is that i don't care about my health.
    But thank you all for your answers : )
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know it is important, it's just so hard to drink it and feel my stomach blow up and weigh more.

Have you considered speaking to a counselor or a doctor about your eating issues? It sounds as though you may have some type of disordered eating. ;(
  • BiancaNayomi
    Options
    I know it is important, it's just so hard to drink it and feel my stomach blow up and weigh more.

Have you considered speaking to a counselor or a doctor about your eating issues? It sounds as though you may have some type of disordered eating. ;(

Haha. Yes. I go regularly ........
  • michelletyler38
    Options

Wow.
  • michelletyler38
    Options

Wow.
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Your body is between 55-70% water...without it...you WILL die. The more water you drink...the less you retain.