Bodybuggs?

HannaSavannah
HannaSavannah Posts: 38 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys! I keep hearing about bodybuggs. What's the deal?! They measure metabolism?... Gimme the basics! Thanks!

Replies

• usmcdaffy
    usmcdaffy Posts: 7 Member
    Best one around I hear. I know TONS of people that wear them. I want one but they are like $200 so it is definately an investment. :o) It is supposed to be the most accurate one out there. I want it for the calorie counter. :o) Heart rate monitor part is good too though...
  • I have been using Body Bugg for about 8 weeks now.. You wear the arm band on your left arm 24/7.. It has sensors in it that tells you how many calories your body is actually burning, how much activity you get, how many steps you take.. You input your food online and set goals.. It is a great program for getting a good idea how much you should really be eating.. I love mine!
    I hope this helps (:
    ~Frannie
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    I have the BodyMedia Fit which is made by the same company. I have had it for over a year. I love it! It definately helps keep me focused.
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    If you have ever watched The Biggest Loser - you will see them wearing them on their arms to track the calories they burn throughout the day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I picked up the BodyMedia Fit (same company) from Costco for $150 shipped, with an extra armband and a 1 year subscription included. I absolutely love it. It tells me exactly what I've burned every day, how many steps I've taken, my activity levels and even exactly how much sleep I get (and how much time I spend awake, just laying down, during my sleep time as well). I still track food on MFP, then just enter it as one meal entry on the BMF site. But then it shows a pie chart of your fat/protein/carb percentage, which I love! And I adore the summary reports and everything that comes along with the website.

It's been an incredible help to me and while I don't plan on wearing it for the rest my life or anything, it's definitely a great tool to get me to really be able to see how much I'm burning on lazy days, errand days, chore days, workout days, combos of workout and any of the above days, etc. So once I stop wearing it, I can have that knowledge and still be able to stay on track for calories in vs calories out.

I still wear my HRM for my workouts specifically since I still like being able to monitor my heart rate and get the info from that. But the BMF is on my arm every moment of the day that I'm not in the shower.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    I have had my Bodymedia Fit for just over a week, and love the info that it provides. I haven't been using their nutrition tracker since the one here has so many more foods, but I do enter my total calories eaten each day. It confirms the relative accuracy of the number of calories EA Sports Active 2 tells me I burn during a workout, which is great to know. It measures how long I am actually sleeping during the night, as opposed to just lying down. I am averaging only 6 1/2 hours, so I need to work on that. It also counts steps like a pedometer, and shows that doing laundry, grocery shopping, and cooking dinner all add up (slowly) when it comes to calories.

It's a great motivator, and helps me see the cost of a day sitting around doing nothing versus being active.
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    I had the Body Media Fit one as well. I used it for about eighteen months before I developed a skin sensitivity to it. I wore it about 23 hours a day as it tracked sleep as well (cool feature!).

Just beware that it can give false information. I walk my dog every morning using the same route and speed. On days I would put on a light weight jacket the BMF would give me a slightly higher calorie burn for the walk than on days I didn't wear the jacket. It's all based on body heat and the jacket kept my core warmer so a few more calories were credited to me. I drive around with my arm resting on the car's rolled down window sill (Southern Cal.) so the heat would rack up a few more calories not earned, plus a tan line :smile: . Again not a lot but a few more than on days I would purposely keep my arm out of the sun.

It can also credit movement where not earned. I go off road driving with my husband and just sitting in the truck for a few hours bouncing over dirt roads in the Mojave desert gave a couple hundred calories burned.

All in all it's a good system but I cancelled my account with Body Media about 5 months ago and moved on to a heart rate moniter and I'm very impressed with it.
This discussion has been closed.