Cardio first or weights?

Options
i gave read different things online and in magazines so im concerned. Is it better to strength train first or do cardio first. I want to lose weight and fat more efficiently so anyone know. I hear yiu only burn fat once you're in your workout for 15 minutes so its better to do weights that way once you do cardio you are burning fat the whole time. True?

Replies

• JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    interested in this as well
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Everybody will tell you something different but I do my long cardio, weights, then 15 more minutes of cardio with a little bit more resistance.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In my opinion do whatever you feel would be easier for you.
    Just get up and start doing something.

Then when you start feeling better and more energetic do both.

I happened to start with cardio (walking/running/bike riding), I hope to hit the weights soon.

Good luck!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    jrusso - I think the question is within a training session
  • Stuartm1
    Stuartm1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You will be surprised how many calories you burn just walking out in the fresh air and much better than being stuck in a sweaty gym. As you get fitter get some leg weights and and hand held weights(plus a spare set to go in a backpack just to make it a bit harder )
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    If you work out in the morning on empty stomach you should do just cardio. If you workout after meal you should warm up 10-15 min, then do strength exercise and then cardio.
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the exercise you will do. :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on you... for me, I would do cardio first, only because I know that I would feel completely dead if I try to get on the treadmill after lifting. But that's just me. I know that many people subscribe to the idea that cardio after resistance is better for fat burning.

Here are a couple of pretty interesting articles on the subject that's worth a read:

http://www.realjock.com/article/1128/

http://www.answerfitness.com/320/cardio-better-before-after-lifting-weights-fitness-nerd/
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    jrusso - I think the question is within a training session

Oooops.:blushing:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    True, everyone is different. You have to find what works for you. Personally, I start with about a good 10-15 minute cardio warm up, then hit the weights, then finish with a long cardio session. I do this so I am not tired when I am trying to do my weight session.... but, to each his own.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is the exercise you will do. :)

Wise statement!

I find that I always do cardio first, because running is what I love! Afterwards, I'm in workout-mode so I just continue on to resistance training!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    i switch days. zumba cardio one day then weights and yoga combo the other :) and a rest day.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think ( although I'm not 100% sure) that you'll burn fat through weight training once your heartrate is up. So 15 mins cardio then switch to strength training while your heart is pumping should help you burn fat and tone at the same time.

I might not be completely right about that though.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've heard many different things too. And in my own personal experience, I know that you can lose weight doing cardio first and weights second - I've lost a bunch of weight doing it like that. You'll hear a lot of people say that doing cardio first opens you up to muscle fatigue when it comes to the strength training time in your workout which CAN lead to injury.

After a lot of research - I've started to mix it up more. I usually walk for 5 mins on the treadmill, then run for 5 mins. Then I go and do the weights for 30 mins or so and then I go back to the treadmill and run for 20 mins.

The other day I really switched it up - I walked for 5 mins, ran for 5 mins, then I picked 3 strength training exercises to do - did 1 set of each, went back to the treadmill and ran for 5 mins, went back to the same 3 strength training - did 1 set of each, back to the treadmill and ran, etc. I did it until I had completed 3 sets of each strength training exercise and 30 mins on the treadmill. Let me tell you - I was TIRED and sweaty when I was done. It was pretty sweet.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    The other day I really switched it up - I walked for 5 mins, ran for 5 mins, then I picked 3 strength training exercises to do - did 1 set of each, went back to the treadmill and ran for 5 mins, went back to the same 3 strength training - did 1 set of each, back to the treadmill and ran, etc. I did it until I had completed 3 sets of each strength training exercise and 30 mins on the treadmill. Let me tell you - I was TIRED and sweaty when I was done. It was pretty sweet.

I see several of the guys at the gym at work do something similar. Even if it's just walking on the treadmill. I will see them do a few sets of resistance, then go to the treadmill, bike, or elliptical. The few that do that look like they're in pretty good shape.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Great question! I loved reading the responses.

For the past couple of months, I did a cardio warm-up (10-15 mins on stationary bike), then 30 mins lifting with my trainer, followed by 45-60 mins on the treadmill (switching up between fat burn and cardio modes). I've had great results. I also do TurboFire at home. I'm thinking of switching it up and doing a double dose of TurboFire in the morning before lifting (schedule wise, it would work better for me)...we'll see!

I'm going to have to inquire about this from my trainers.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Most trainers will tell you to lift first and then do your cardio as that maximizes muscle exhaustion and muscle build.

I've NEVER done that though, as I'm a runner and I want to be able to do my runs well rather than dragging myself through them. If your goals include any kind of sustained cardio (like road races) then I don't see the benefit to lifting prior to running or whatever sort of sustained cardio you're aiming to meet. But I do agree that your best performance and weight loss comes from including BOTH cardio and resistance training.

I'm sure one of the trainers will tell me why I'm wrong any second now. ;) And who knows, maybe they'll be correct.
  • nsciambi
    nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ask this question to ten different people and you'll get ten different answers.

Try one way for a few weeks and see how it works, then try the other way. You'll eventually figure out what work best for you.

:)

Good luck!
  • james1027
    Options
    I am by no means a fitness buff but my advise is this:

Start with cardio and then go into weight training. I say this because A. You won't begin to effectively burn calories until about 15 min in. Most cardio sessions should be 30+ minutes. This allows you to warm your body up and begin burning calories. B. Once your body begins to burn calories it will continue to burn them even after you stop cardio. This sorta balances out the 15 minute rev up period, in my mind. C. Try to maintain a pace when you move from cardio to weights so that your heart rate is elevated which will allow you to continue burning calories through the entire workout.

This is based on my assumption you are weight training for tone and endurance.
    High reps and 3-4 sets, with little time between sets.
    I usually work on a couple areas at once and go between them so I have little to no downtime between sets.

Rock it out!

James
  • waterbabeAD
    Options
    5 minute run to warm up
    then
    45 min strength training - 9 set of 3 x reps
    then
    40 - 50 mins cardio - usually a pacey run or interval/hill traning on a stationary bike.