scared to try again

I am 52 years old and have done the yo you thing for years....lose 20, gain 30, lose 40, gain it back and more. I am a teacher and have found it difficult to find a lot of time to exercise. I like to walk outside, but hate being outside in the cold, so I often quit in the late fall as temperatures fall. I am hoping something like this will make the difference!:smile:

Replies

• flemtc
    flemtc Posts: 17
    I am 52 years old and have done the yo you thing for years....lose 20, gain 30, lose 40, gain it back and more. I am a teacher and have found it difficult to find a lot of time to exercise. I like to walk outside, but hate being outside in the cold, so I often quit in the late fall as temperatures fall. I am hoping something like this will make the difference!:smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Welcome flem! :flowerforyou:

I lost 30 pounds stictly through diet before I started running so it can be done. :smile: I'm a fair weather exerciser too.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Welcome!
    You CAN do this!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Tgeorge
    Tgeorge Posts: 49
    Welcome and good luck.
    If I might suggest the mantra- it is not a diet or excercise that will amke your journey successful but rather it a way to feel better about yourself and your health.

Walk when you can and enjoy the outdoor warm weather. The for cold weather find an interseting indoor hobby that can burn some calories and take your mind away from the required excersise. Bowling, Dancing, WII boxing or WII yoga, Walk the mall in the cold season. On the food stuff, what helps me is to look at everything I am getting ready to eat at determine is this something my body needs and is nutrious.

Best wishes
  • flemtc
    thanks Shannon!
  • flemtc
    Thanks to all of you for your comments...I feel supported already....:flowerforyou:
  • keiley
    keiley Posts: 17
    welcome & good luck!!! may i suggest that you log food prior to eating them... it has really helped me :happy:
  • Welcome! :flowerforyou: :smile:

You can do this! In the cold months try walking in doors. Not sure how big your school is but walking the hallways and doing stairs will help you stay active and you can do it while on your breaks and after school. I’ve started to walk on my breaks and it makes the work day not feel like such a drag and gives me an added boost of energy for the rest of the day.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Welcome:flowerforyou: I understand your pain, I have jo joed myself also to where I am now:noway: but this is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change and if you follow the rules you will see that you can live this way for the rest of your life. I have been here for about 3 month now and the weight is comming off slowly. There are lots of people that loose more in the same time as me but I don't feel deprived, I eat healthy, smaller portions and if I have a craving for something I will see if I can find a lower cal. version and make sure it fits in my allowance of calories for the day. There are a few articles by Banks that explain a lot about weight loss and I advise you to read them (Newbies read me 2nd edition)
    I got the sweatin to the oldies dvd's in may and if the weather is bad or to cold or hot, I hop through the livingroom (thank heaven's there is no one around or I would end up at the worlds funniest home video's) Sometimes I will go to the store and just walk around (super walmart can give you a workout even when youre not trying) or find some garden work that needs attention.... I also have used housecleaning as my exercise when I mopped my floors (700 sq feet) or washed all my windows. It still amazes me how much better I feel after a good workout and I can sence that there is a waist on my body somewhere :bigsmile:
    I wish you success:drinker:
  • flemtc
    Thanks again for all your support....I am gaining hope by the moment:smile:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Hi flemtc, and welcome! :flowerforyou: IOver the decades (gawd I'm an oooold fart, lol) I have done the yoyo thing too. Until my 40's where I simply added pounds as I added years. Nothing, and I mean absolutelt nothing was a success, until wandered in here. MFP gives you all the tools, resources, and most importantly the friends and family, to make it stick :happy:
  • Rosita
    Rosita Posts: 3
    :wink: hello i am a 33 year old that has tried everything u can think of. Someone told me about this site and i hope that it works for u. I am a new member and wish that it does work because i dont know what els to do. Good Luck
  • flemtc
    Well, maybe we could be accountability partners? What do you think? I actually went over today because I had a pretty good snack of white chocolate morsels with dried cherries and cashews....no ice cream though! According to the tabulation, though, I could still loose 10 lbs in 5 weeks! So, let's try!
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Who is the sweetheart you're holding? Is it a shih Tzu
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    You can absolutely do this. Take it one day at a time and for me sometimes one choice at a time. Its not always easy but you can do this. We are glad to have you here with us.