Muscle soreness after squats

nsciambi
nsciambi Posts: 70 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
No matter what I do, I can't seem to cut down on my muscle soreness after doing squats. I know that soreness is normal, but when I do squats on Monday and still can't walk right on Friday, something's got to give! The soreness has started affecting my running, and I'm tempted to cut squats out of my workout, but I really don't want to do that. Squats are one of my favorite exercises!

I have tried:
* splitting my leg workout into two separate days - squats and hamstring curls on day one, and step ups/lunges on day two - in order to put less strain on my muscles in one day. (with at least 24 hours between days)
* increasing my post workout stretching
* increasing my post workout protein intake
* changing weight/reps from three sets of 6 @ 125 to three sets of 8 @85-95
* improving my warm-up

I'm really lost as to what I should do. My form has been complimented many times, so I don't think that is the issue.

I'm able to complete my reps with relative ease, so I'd really like to start increasing my weight again, but I need to figure out how to combat the soreness first.

Any ideas?

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Are you getting enough potassium?
  • Sweetlost
    Sweetlost Posts: 29 Member
    I use to have the same pain but I stretch with runner's lunge before and after squats. I also take ibuprohen now my body is used to it. No more pain.
  • nsciambi
    I'm not sure about my potassium intake, but I'll pay more attention to that. Thanks!
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    I've worked out regularly for years and my legs are always sore after my workouts (sometimes up to a week later). I used to be a trainer and I don't think there is anything wrong with it...this is your muscles repairing. Try taking a vitamin e supplement...this is supposed to help alleviate muscle soreness. Also...invest in some icy hot...it really helps.
  • nsciambi
    Thanks for the encouragement! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one walking around with sore legs.
    I've worked out regularly for years and my legs are always sore after my workouts (sometimes up to a week later). I used to be a trainer and I don't think there is anything wrong with it...this is your muscles repairing. Try taking a vitamin e supplement...this is supposed to help alleviate muscle soreness. Also...invest in some icy hot...it really helps.
  • How is your water intake?
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Glutamine is an essential amino acid that helps in muscle recovery. here is a link on it.

http://www.nutritional-supplement-educational-centre.com/benefits-of-l-glutamine.html
  • nsciambi
    I don't drink 8 glasses a day, but I stay well hydrated.
    How is your water intake?
  • nsciambi
    Thanks! I'll look into it.
    Glutamine is an essential amino acid that helps in muscle recovery. here is a link on it.

http://www.nutritional-supplement-educational-centre.com/benefits-of-l-glutamine.html
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    oh thank you for posting this...Squats kill my thighs too...
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    my legs lately have really hurt after my work outs, even just cardio but even more after squats!!
This discussion has been closed.