Eating Exercise Calories and gaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    well first, let me say this: Good for you guys for not just giving up and actually looking for answers to the issue. It's not as cut and dry as many things. It can be a very frustrating and confusing battle, but don't quit, your body doesn't like change, it will fight it, but if you work a steady, consistent fight, it will work for you.

Now, mlillie lets first look at what could be different about you then about tall_t. It's very obvious if you look at the profiles. You are at a very different weight loss point then tall. 12 lbs to lose is MUCH different then 100 plus and how you approach it should likewise be vastly different from her.
    For you mlillie, expect months between noticable loss. Why? You may ask. Well, because there's not much to lose. You're body doesn't have a lot to lose so getting rid of what you do have to lose is going to take time, and a lot of effort, and at this point you need to fuel your body, have a very small deficit (say 250 to 400 cals a week) and expect no more then 1 lb to 2 lbs a month in loss. You lose any more then that and I'd bet the farm on much of it being muscle and lean tissue, which isn't what you should be looking to do.

Tall, you my dear, are just passing the initial stage of weight loss, your "easy" pounds are now gone(the 11 lbs you lost right away), these are a combination of very recently stored fat, a little muscle, and a lot of water and waste. You should be able to lose about 2 lbs a week, but it's not going to happen every week, the body doesn't work that way. From time to time, your body's going to stop the hardcore fat burn, and basically do a diagnostic, re-adjust, and then change directions and start up again. When these things happen, if you can recognize them, you should re-evaluate your goals, maybe mix up your workouts, and change up your food intake. It might take a little tweaking to get it perfect, but that is the situation. The biggest thing I can say to you is this. You didn't gain your weight in 6 months, don't expect to lose it that fast. For people who are over 30 BMI I would think you can expect to lose anywhere from 50 to 80 lbs in a YEAR. But remember, it slows down significantly as you become more healthy.
    The best advice I can give is this, forget weight as a primary goal (as hard as that is) and focus on other goals, like certain levels of fitness (maybe saying that by the end of the month you'll be up to a 1/2 mile of jogging or something similar), maybe make your measurements a goal. Measurements are a slower goal to check, which forces you to be a little more patient. Focusing on your weight is an exercise in futility. I'm not saying to forget weighing yourself, just learn to use it like you do any other health measurement, as a tool, not a goal.

I hope this helps guys.
  • apigchangedmylife
    Options
    well first, let me say this: Good for you guys for not just giving up and actually looking for answers to the issue. It's not as cut and dry as many things. It can be a very frustrating and confusing battle, but don't quit, your body doesn't like change, it will fight it, but if you work a steady, consistent fight, it will work for you.

Now, mlillie lets first look at what could be different about you then about tall_t. It's very obvious if you look at the profiles. You are at a very different weight loss point then tall. 12 lbs to lose is MUCH different then 100 plus and how you approach it should likewise be vastly different from her.
    For you mlillie, expect months between noticable loss. Why? You may ask. Well, because there's not much to lose. You're body doesn't have a lot to lose so getting rid of what you do have to lose is going to take time, and a lot of effort, and at this point you need to fuel your body, have a very small deficit (say 250 to 400 cals a week) and expect no more then 1 lb to 2 lbs a month in loss. You lose any more then that and I'd bet the farm on much of it being muscle and lean tissue, which isn't what you should be looking to do.

Tall, you my dear, are just passing the initial stage of weight loss, your "easy" pounds are now gone(the 11 lbs you lost right away), these are a combination of very recently stored fat, a little muscle, and a lot of water and waste. You should be able to lose about 2 lbs a week, but it's not going to happen every week, the body doesn't work that way. From time to time, your body's going to stop the hardcore fat burn, and basically do a diagnostic, re-adjust, and then change directions and start up again. When these things happen, if you can recognize them, you should re-evaluate your goals, maybe mix up your workouts, and change up your food intake. It might take a little tweaking to get it perfect, but that is the situation. The biggest thing I can say to you is this. You didn't gain your weight in 6 months, don't expect to lose it that fast. For people who are over 30 BMI I would think you can expect to lose anywhere from 50 to 80 lbs in a YEAR. But remember, it slows down significantly as you become more healthy.
    The best advice I can give is this, forget weight as a primary goal (as hard as that is) and focus on other goals, like certain levels of fitness (maybe saying that by the end of the month you'll be up to a 1/2 mile of jogging or something similar), maybe make your measurements a goal. Measurements are a slower goal to check, which forces you to be a little more patient. Focusing on your weight is an exercise in futility. I'm not saying to forget weighing yourself, just learn to use it like you do any other health measurement, as a tool, not a goal.

I hope this helps guys.
    I appreciate your comments banks! I REALLY needed to read this today. I try to keep in mind that being healthy and losing the weight is a journey not a destination.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    Thanks Banks. TLT will also be an interesting group study to learn from, doncha think???

I hope I dont come off as whining because I really dont feel that way and I am proud of myself just for sticking with this community even though I am struggling. Thanks for all of your kind, wise words!

You are a rockstar of the MFP!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    yes yes, very good and useful info once again, Superbanks!!
    we loves ya!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    we loves ya!!

LOL, I picture Em kind of yawning and looking at her nails while saying this. :tongue:

Yawn.gif
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    Thanks banks....Thank you to everyone. Its so hard to do this alone...and its nice having people around that can relate and help by giving support and motivation. :smile:
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and replies. I took that support and hit the gym here at work (yes I am so lucky to have a gym at my job!). They also have a Tanita scale. This tells you your weight and can even tell you how much weight you have in muscle and how much in fat along with some other great facts.

According to the Tanita and comparing my data from last week, I have gained 5lbs in muscle and lost 5lbs in fat.

YAY!

So, I think your right Banks, my body is re-adjusting to my new routine.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    we loves ya!!

LOL, I picture Em kind of yawning and looking at her nails while saying this. :tongue:

Yawn.gif

LOL, if i was yawning its because i stayed up on MFP too late last nite!

i love getting info from you, because I like to know WHY things are happening the way they do..and no one can explain it as well as you!