I hate the depo provera shot!!

Options
2»

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I had really really bad results with depo as well. Not weight related but mental health related. I know everyone reacts differently to different drugs but I think depo just has way too many awful side effects. And the few people I know that were on it without bad side effects got pregnant on it, so there ya go lol!
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    its been a dream for me since the begining love love love it. the most problem i can say is a small brief jump up on the scale that happens a day or two after , then can loses in the next couple . retained water i am thinking

I think its different for different people....I'm the same; love it and would not go to anything else. I've noticed an increase in appetite for a few days after the injection and a slight jump on the scales, but with a little increased willpower the scales go back to how they were and for me the increase interest in food only lasts for a few days (thankfully!!!).

I think there are nightmare stories out there for all types of contraceptive therefore you just need to find something that works for you.
  • makcarly
    makcarly Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The depo shot is THE devil! I took it when I was younger and had zero problems so I decided to go on it again. Had my first shot in October, second one in January. I started bleeding on March 1 and I am STILL BLEEDING. It was like a heavy, awful period all of March and like the first week of April. It's just light spotting now but it's still there. Needless to say I DID NOT go and get my third shot when I was due for it.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The Depo shot definately has pros and cons. Pros- convenient! Only one shot every 3 months. Cons- irregualr periods since it is not a cyclical hormonal medication (although the longer you are on it the smaller and less frequent your periods will {statistcally} be), slowed bone growth (due to the way depo slows calcium absorption-- so no one should be on the depo more than 2 years. In general the depo is best for short term use, and more for young women or women who have a hard time remembering to take pills everyday ect. If regular predictable periods is more important to you than the easy once every 3 month shot, than you should consider other options. Besides the pill, there is also the 1) nuva ring- one ring vaginally inserted for 3 weeks then removed for one week. Also 2) 'the patch' - a big sticker placed on the body for 3 weeks, but needs to be swapped weekly for a fresh sticker. then patch free for one week. Note: It is not recommened to use the patch if you are over 200lbs, it will not distribute as well and less effective in preventing pregnancy. 3) IUD or Intra-Uterine Device, physically placed through the cervix into the uterus. There is a hormonal option -Mirana which lasts for 5 years, or the copper non-hormonal that lasts for 10years (copper version is best for smokers since NO hormones). Remember that the hormonal option can cause irregualr periods since like the depo it is not cyclical (does not follow a hormone pattern like the menstral cycle- is one steady dose of hormones). The mirena does however help decrease periods, both flow and frequency. 4.) the Bar- a small rod-shaped hormone releasing insert that is put under the skin of your inner upper arm. This lasts 3-4 years. It is also an option not best for women over 200lbs and is not cyclical-- so irregular periods expected. 5) They also still make Diaphrams- a latex cup fitted to your cervix to be placed inside. Other self-insertable blockers include the sponge, and femi cap; but these are simply physical barriers to block sperm from entering the cervical opening, and do not affect periods. So there are definately MANY options for us these days which is great but also confusing. Check out all the options before you see your doctor so you can be ready with questions and always tell them ALL the meds you are on and be honest about smoking and how well you remember to take your medicines.

Also, just to keep speading the knowledge, remember that Anitbiotics and Hormone medications can counteract with birthcontrol and make it ineffective against preventing pregnancy. So always use backup methods (such as condoms) for 2 weeks when your doc gives you antibiotics or hormones (like prednisone). There are also a few other meds that interact like seizure meds for example- so be sure to remind new doctors of your med list.

Note- If you are done having children there are also many new options besides tubal ligations and hysterectomies. So don't think you have to keep suffereing through bad periods until 'the gift of menopause' :)
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I had depo for a year and a half about 4 years ago. I am now on Nexplanon, and its brilliant. I havent had a period at all in 5 years. I had Depo for 1.5 years, then Implanon for 3 years, and just got Nexplanon in January.

No complaints!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    Hated the shot as well!! Was on it for almost 2 years. Gained about 5 lbs per shot!! At first it was nice but then it just like totally screwed up my body. It even took several months after I got off of it for it to get out of my system so I could effectively start losing weight. But there is hope, and you can get your body back after it :)
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hated the shot as well!! Was on it for almost 2 years. Gained about 5 lbs per shot!! At first it was nice but then it just like totally screwed up my body. It even took several months after I got off of it for it to get out of my system so I could effectively start losing weight. But there is hope, and you can get your body back after it :)

Yes the shot is horrid at 1st i loved it until i saw i gained 20 lbs on it.. and then the bleeding to add to it has made up my mind to stop it immediately. Insurance is an issue which is why i haven't looked into IUD's at this point. And i had no idea what a previous poster had stated about antibiotics and hormones and alternate bc methods omg. I've been on prednisone like 4x and never used a alternate BC same thing for my thyroid medication which i take everyday uhggg
  • MidnightRadio
    MidnightRadio Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for 4 years and I loved it... I didn't get my period the entire time. I gained about 50 pounds while I was on it, but since I've always been heavy it didn't occur to me that the weight gain might have anything to do with the birth control.

I got my last shot 8 months ago. A couple months ago, I noticed that I had lost 10 pounds. This was a surprise because I hadn't been doing anything differently, and my body doesn't shed weight easily. Maybe my body will cooperate with weight loss now that I'm off birth control for the first time? That's what motivated me to start working at losing weight again. I've gone to the gym everyday for a month and have lost another 10 pounds!

I really think that I wouldn't have made it to 275 pounds (at my heaviest) if I had never gone on depo!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For some of us, too much progesterone = fast fat. There is a drug called Megace which helps cancer patients gain weight. It's basically progesterone. Here's what I wrote on another thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/227448-depo-provara-problem?page=1#posts-3095833
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    ive been on depo for ages and have had non problems at all. no periods/symptoms,only ever get slight spotting if i leave it to the lats few days b4 getting my nxt one.

hope u find something that works for u xxx
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i agree 100%. i hate it as well. my midwife wouldnt even give it to me casue she said in her experance it causes to many side effects. i had it after my last child was born and it compleatly messed me up. it was terrible.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Depo is EVIL!!!!! lol I know not everyone is the same, but I gained most of my weight from it! I know I didn't help it with not exercing, but I KNOW it effected something thing my brain. I would NEVER reccomend it, not even to my worst enemy. (Ok, maybe to my worst enemy) :laugh: I have an IUD now and couldn't be happier!
  • Sarawoods
    Sarawoods Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I gained 60lbs in 3 month's with the Depo, and It made me really depressed and it killed my sex drive..
  • minni2906
    minni2906 Posts: 182
    Options
    I swore by my depo shot for 3 years. Then my OB did a bone density test and I was losing bone density so I had to come off of it. I'm only 22!!!!!!!!!!!! and I'm already in stages of Osteopenia from this! On top of that, she told me that having been on the shot, I probably won't get pregnant for a year now. I JUST got married! We want to start a family! I wish my OB had told me all these things BEFORE I was on the shot for 3 years...

I did not gain weight from Depo, though. That I did on my own because I failed to eat healthy. I was eating junk, and greasy foods, and everything! That I do not blame on Depo.
  • md0217
    md0217 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent nearly 12 years on depo. Had a little weight gain in the beginning but I was in my early 20's. I went off it last August
    and didn't have a regular period until January. Of all the years I was on depo I only had spotting during stressful times in my life.
    I actually just got my first shot again this week. I expect to have some spotting but its well worth it to not have periods again!