Surviving the Holidays

Options
During the holiday season, I often reflect on how fortunate I am - and this year moreso than recent ones. One of things I have to be thankful for is this great network of friends at MFP, who are all at various points in their fitness plan - some starting out, some near completion - most, still in progress. However, one thing several of us have in common is dealing with the stress of the holidays - especially if our bodies are "in transition".

We bombard ourselves with worries and questions -

Will our families notice our weight loss? Will the conversation be dominated by the subject of dieting? Will they be genuinely happy for me? Will they be watching everything I eat? Will they remind me of my previous failures? Will they pressure me to eat Grandma's special pie that she baked just for me?

How many of us had a "sigh of relief" when we got home tonight, just wanting to get back on track tomorrow? From the looks of my friends, most. And that is absolutely awesome. You know you have made a lifestyle change when the new life you have created for yourself beckons you the moment the insanity of the holiday passes. Had a little too much too eat? Who cares? You can't undo the great work you have done in just one day. Cousin Bert/Beth didn't notice your weight loss? Who cares? People have trouble being happy for you when they're unhappy with their place in life. Besides, there's only one person whose opinion counts - go tell him/her in the mirror right now. Did Grandma get upset that you said "no" to that 2nd slice? Don't worry, she still loves you.

I'm happy in the belief that my MFP friends came through these holidays like champs! But, if you know someone who might need a pick me up - don't hesitate to send them a note, and remind them they are in total control of what they do - no matter what anyone else has to say.

SSG

Replies

• miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What a great message....thanks for taking the time to share it! Very inspiring!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    My mom, when I sat down with my second helping of cheesy scalloped potatoes O.o .. said 'it's a good thing you arent counting calories today!' and at that time my grandma informed me that I'm "looking good".
  • beclou17
    beclou17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share that today... I know that I am not the only one to get something out of it! Congratulations on your hard work and good luck with the rest of it!
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    well said!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You summed up everything I have been feeling for the past couple of days. It was a huge sigh of relief to get home and feel 'secure' again. I think more practice and I'll feel loads better.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    SSG...you totally rock! Can't wait to have you on the show this week! You are going to inspire and motivate many :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • sullivan50
    sullivan50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Very nice....and so true...
    :smile:
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    SSG...you totally rock! Can't wait to have you on the show this week! You are going to inspire and motivate many :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Thanks V - looking forward to it as well....
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    Sorry to be off topic, but how do I request for friend to be added? I'm barely new here.. thanks!

SSG your comment is very MOTIVATING!!! It really encourage people to look at themselves not others!
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID