Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories?? I think I'm not doing this right. . Help

Ok, Nutrition was NEVER my best subject in school. I've been dieting off and on, and tonight I actually sat down and read some info. . . I think I've been doing this wrong, and I want to know if I finally understand, or am I more confused than ever.

My calorie goal is 1200 daily, so I try to stay as close to that in food consumed, regardless of the calories burned. I thought that you were to have the least amount of calories possibly by the end of the day. Ie. eat 1200 - exercise 600 total calories for day 600. Now if I understand what I just read, I've should of been doing (for same day) eat 1800 - exercise 600 total calories 1200.

So which logic is the correct????

Jennie :sad:

Replies

• Sana1116
    Sana1116 Posts: 54 Member
    hey....

wat u said the second time is correct!! wen u work out....its like a bonus!! u get to eat more. hence, u add those cals to ur daily total. so ur rite. ....if u wana keep ur calorie allowance to 1200 aday...and u exercised 600 cals....then u have 1800 cals allowance! hope i didnt confuse u even more. :-) gud luck
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Second one! Some people on here will tell you different but I've been eating my exercise calories and consistently losing.
  • katie9730
    katie9730 Posts: 24
    The second option is definitely better. 1200 is too low of a calorie goal for most people.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Well. I think you may find different opinions on this topic since this goes back to the "eat your exercise or don't". I personally eat mine back because I don't tend to lose any weight when I don't eat them back. However, a lot of people will tell you not to eat them back - that it makes exercising a waste of time.

That being said, have you checked your BMR? 1200 calories is VERY low especially if you're working out. I would find out what your BMR is first - because that is the bare minimum amount of calories you need just to live. You want to make sure you're eating more than your BMR or you'll go into starvation mode.
  • I eat mine as well :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    I have tried eating 1200 a day and not eating my exercise calories back and I really just didn't have the energy to exercise much, but on the other hand I also have tried eating back all of the calories I burn and didn't have much luck doing it that way either. What I have found works best for me is to eat back some of my exercise calories. If I burned 600 calories I would eat an extra 200-300 calories that day. I think that everybody is different and you should experiment a little bit to find out what works best for you.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Now if I understand what I just read, I've should of been doing (for same day) eat 1800 - exercise 600 total calories 1200.

you understand correctly. MFP is already giving you reduced calories from your MAINTENANCE calories (the calories you need to maintain your current weight) based on the amount of weight per week you told it you want to lose. You can see all of this information when you go to your GOALS section.
    goals%204-17-2011.jpg
    see on the right side under YOUR DIET PROFILE it shows calories burned from normal activities. This is where mfp takes your activity level and adds a certain amount to your bmr. From here it will take off 500 calories for each pound you said you wanted to lose. That is your daily goal without exercise. If you add exercise into this equation, it is recommended that you try to eat back most of your calories or at least end your day with your NET calories being more than 1200. This way you are feeding your body enough to do it's normal daily functions, like breathing, keeping your heart beating, etc. and also fuel it for the exercise you do. It's ok once in awhile to be under, but you cannot feed your body long term on 600 calories a day as that's not enough for your body to survive on, nevermind do all the things your doing.

If you've been doing this and noticed you didn't get the results you were expecting, it could be that your body thinks it's starving so it's not burning the fuel you are eating, it's storing it. Try following what you said above for a week or two and see if you don't feel better and also if your loss isn't more on target.

don't worry about it - a lot of people have this problem when they start. Your initial theory would be correct if you were doing this manually but your starting calories would have to be your bmr + activity level, not the 1200 that mfp told you was your goal.

Hope this helps it make more sense. Good luck to you!
  • Jennkidz
    Jennkidz Posts: 6
    Thank you EVERYONE.

This helps a LOT. Maybe now I don't go four or five days counting (the wrong way) then I have a day where I want to eat everything that doesn't move.

Thank you again

Jennie