bicycle

Options
I want to buy an inexpensive bike, but have no clue what to look for. Do I want a mountain bike or a cruiser? Do they still make banana seats?

Any advice?

Replies

• KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Never hurt to check out garage sales. Long time ago I got a Wal-mart ladies mountain bike for $15. If you ride in a lot of hills, its good to have gears that you can shift to make that hill pedaling easier. Or riding over the sandy beach.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Something to check for in your area is a community bike shop. There is one where I live and if you volunteer there for a set amount of time they'll give you a bike that you can fix up and keep. The best thing about this is you learn how to fix your own bike. Another thing to check is craigslist and garage sales. I've never paid more than $35 for a bike and have gotten quite a few good ones for free.
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I recommend a hybrid bike/comfort bike. I love mine! Mountain bike tires are much larger than on the comfort bike and if you are mainly riding on paved roads, you will move slower than on the narrower tires that are on the comfort bikes. I am not sure what you mean by inexpensive, but I do recommend going to a bike shop where they can fit the bike to you rather than buying it at a discount store such as Target or WalMart...but you will probably pay a little more...so if you can swing it, that is my recommendation. And as far as I know, they do not make banana seats anymore! :happy: Let me know if you have any other questions! (My husband is an avid biker and I have learned a lot from him and we know our local bike shop owner very well!:tongue: )
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I want to buy an inexpensive bike, but have no clue what to look for. Do I want a mountain bike or a cruiser? Do they still make banana seats?

Any advice?

It depends. What are you trying to do? Do you want to ride trails? Races? Triathlons? Just get some extra exercise? Or just have something to go for a nice casual bike ride on a sunny day? Different answers for all those questions so, like I said, it depends on what you want the bike for.
  • JJtexasgirl
    JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more clear. Most of my riding will be on paved streets, probably with my 9 year old son. There are a lot of trails and such in Austin, but I don't see myself doing any serious mountain biking. I want to ride to increase my exercise and to get outside. By inexpensive, I mean less than $150 or so. (I guess, I have no idea what a decent bike costs!)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    If you are not mountain biking then I would suggest not getting a mountain bike. They are heavier and harder to ride. It is always worth the investment to get a good bike. I would not recommend Walmart. Search Craigslist for a good used bike. One of the most important things about getting a bike is the fit. Go to your local bike shop and get them to fit you so you know what size to look for. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent used bike in Austin. Good luck to you!!
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    If you are not mountain biking then I would suggest not getting a mountain bike. They are heavier and harder to ride. It is always worth the investment to get a good bike. I would not recommend Walmart. Search Craigslist for a good used bike. One of the most important things about getting a bike is the fit. Go to your local bike shop and get them to fit you so you know what size to look for. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent used bike in Austin. Good luck to you!!

Good advise. Stay away from Wal Mart bikes. They are junk. Go to a local bike shop and get fitted so you will know what size to get. Then with your description I would bet a hybrid would be a good choice. You are not obligated to buy from the local bike shop but at least you can get your size measured. Craig'slist or such is not a bad way. Maybe the local bike shop can let you ride a loner to see how you will like it. Regardless, good for you in wanting to get out and ride. Great exercise.:smile:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Excellent advice. If you are staying on paved roads, I'd go for a road bike personally. I got a decent one on Craig's List for $200. Definitely go get fitted first though!