HOW? HOW? HOW?

Options
Can anyone please tell me how someone weighing 250lbs and another person weighing 190lbs can have the same or close to the same measurements? This is so frustrating!!!!! Pretty much the two people have the same size waist and hips but by looking at the two, they would not look like it. Weight vs Measurements are so crazy to me!!!

Replies

• R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    muscle density :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm 5'2" and weigh right around 200 lbs. right now and people are always shocked to find that out (both here and in real life). They think I am about 50 lbs. thinner. I think it means I carry more visceral (internal) fat than someone else who appears bigger. It's probably more dangerous. Bodies are so crazy! This is why comparing yourself to other people is a bad idea.
  • zeratul1080
    zeratul1080 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Does measurements include height?

other variables could be what meissastar said... "muscle density" and or bone density.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep, muscle density. I've gone from a size 16 to a size 10 and I've only lost 16 lbs!
  • darcher05
    Options
    Height, muscle and bone and most important - internal fat.
    Don't compare yourself to others just focus on you. It's like playing golf - if you try to beat the other guy off the fairway you end up in the bunker. Just keep plodding on and the new way of life will take care of it for you.

16 weeks into it
    32 pounds off of it - yeeha!
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, it was just a depresser for me to find that out. Yes, we must not compare ourselves to others. I'm 5'3, 190lbs, and people don't believe I weigh that much.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and started MFP at 175 pounds and a size 14 (US) pants. It shocked me to read on MFP that people who are my height and 200+ pounds were wearing the same size! Then there are others who were my same height and starting weight but wearing size 8 pants. :grumble: It has made me accept the fact that we all hold onto weight differently, which is why those posts people make asking "How long did it take you to drop a pants size" are completely irrelevant. We all lose and gain differently. My mother in law lost 60 pounds and the first 20 were all in her face, arms and wrists. 20 pounds down and her pants fit exactly the same as when she started losing weight!