Who dreams this stuff up?

Options
I read about this in C&E News yesterday. Anyone else hear about this? I guess it is being promoted as a safer way to "smoke" and/or as a tool to quit smoking.

http://www.pr.com/press-release/97171

I was never a smoker so I can't appreciate how hard it is to quit but I personally would not want to breathe in propylene glycol.

I guess I should add for those of you who don't go to the link that this is an "e cigarette." It gives nicotine and a smoke-like appearance without flame or smoke.

Replies

• jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    I read about this in C&E News yesterday. Anyone else hear about this? I guess it is being promoted as a safer way to "smoke" and/or as a tool to quit smoking.

http://www.pr.com/press-release/97171

I was never a smoker so I can't appreciate how hard it is to quit but I personally would not want to breathe in propylene glycol.

I guess I should add for those of you who don't go to the link that this is an "e cigarette." It gives nicotine and a smoke-like appearance without flame or smoke.
  • msce2
    msce2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Is it a joke? Well I guess if it is true, they'll be making a lot of money. All those people at bars can now get there nic fix without having to step outside.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    i can see the upsides and the dwonsides, i'm on day six with no smoking, and i think the cold turkey approach is the way for me....
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    i can see the upsides and the dwonsides, i'm on day six with no smoking, and i think the cold turkey approach is the way for me....

Good job. Be strong. That's how my husband quit ~ 12 years ago. You can do it.
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    Cold turkey!! Smoke fre for two years now!! Running hills, haha. Feeling great!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I am very apprehensive that not enough study on safety and long term effects and regulations are not in place on this.

This is a quote from this site:

http://whyquit.com/pr/032908.html

But let's not kid ourselves about Andy or Senator Obama's cleaner nicotine feedings. Once sold as Black Leaf 40, an insecticide, nicotine's lethalness (LD50) is 166 times greater than caffeine. We've seen an explosion of disturbing nicotine research, including concern that the super-toxin nicotine may be responsible for eating brain gray matter.

The most horrific nicotine dependency burden may not be the nicotine addict's final illness or how they die, but how they spent an entire life in chemical servitude to nicotine's two-hour half-life inside human blood-serum, bouncing between dopamine generated "aaah" sensations and insula driven urges, craves and anxieties.

Not suprisingly, the NJOY website does not mention chemical addiction as an e-cigarette use risk. Understandably, it also does not want to share known nicotine use health risks but clearly has obligations to do so. A bigger concern is youth access, not just their ability to purchase e-cigarettes via the Internet but the fact that while all states have youth tobacco access laws, few have laws governing youth use or possession of "tech-bacco" or tobacco-free nicotine products.

Still, Congress needs to ask itself, which makes sense, legislatively institutionalizing what's by far the most dangerous form of nicotine delivery or dumping it and immediately passing legislation that motivates transfer to cleaner delivery?
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    yeah when i read that article , i definitely see people using more nicotine than if they were smoking cigarettes, because it didn't make itself clear, but sounded as if one puff was equal to a cigarrette, and i see people taking too many hits