Running with a head cold

Options
So I am working my way through C25k, and I am scheduled to run w5d3 today. The problem is that I came down with a mild head cold yesterday. I don't feel horrible, but I am congested and a little tired and achy.

I'm nervous about attempting my first 20 minute run anyway, much less on a day when I'm feeling poorly. Do you think it would be better to do an easy run today (maybe from week 2 or 3) or not run at all? Or should I suck it up and run what I'm supposed to run today? I am very nervous about skipping a day, and breaking my newly-formed exercise habit!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd still try to run if the cold isn't too bad. But maybe not run for the full 20 minutes.

I still try to move around some when I'm sick, but you don't want to overdo it and wear yourself out.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    As long as the cold hasn't progressed to your chest, you should be ok. Just don't push yourself if you start feeling light headed or worse. Hope you feel better!
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I run quite a bit - if you are feeling shivery/have a high temperature I wouldn't run!
    I have found that running can help relieve congestion - I suffer from sinusitus a lot and it helps me, and I've read in running magazines that if the cold symptoms are above the neck you should be fine, if it is affecting your chest don't run!
    Give it a go and see - but don't do anything silly!! = )

and well done on the running progress!!
  • adnama36
    adnama36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I did go running...but did not make it the full 20 minutes. Between the head cold and the fact that the weather today is much warmer than I'm used to running in, I got really tired and overheated about 10 minutes in. So I took a couple of walk breaks during the second half of the run, and I managed to make it back home without collapsing! I was feeling pretty discouraged when I first got home, but now I realize that I did pretty well, all things considered! I finished the 30 minute workout, and I did run for most of the 20-minute running section. I'll try again in a few days and see if I do any better!
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Yes, great work!! Sounds like you did really well :smile: