Am I doing enough?

Options
I've been on my diet now 5 weeks and lost 14lbs. I've practically halved my calories intake and now go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour each time. But is this enough? I read through others routines and they are working out nearly everyday. Ideally I would love too (anything to lose weight quicker) but I have 5 young children plus I'm a cake maker/decorator from home too so I just never have the extra time or energy.

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great! Try to think of this as a lifestyle change and you are developing habits that you can keep doing for a long time. If you burn yourself out, you won't keep losing and even worse, might gain it back. I always like to think "Slow and steady wins the race." It took me a long time (about a year) to lose 15 pounds, but I've kept it off because I developed new healthy habits. Good luck!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I can tell you being a cake decorator would jack me up for sure! I force myself 3 days a week as well and if I can get more in doing oddball things I do. I'm crazy busy (5 kids too!) as well and it's either losing sleep every day to go to the gym at 4:30 or doing only 3 days a week. I'm in awe of some of these people, especially getting in 85 minutes of cardio. I think you just have modify your diet/exercise for your lifestyle. You're doing great and may not lose at as fast a rate as other people, might take a little longer to get to your goal, but you'll get there!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Doesn't that average out to at least 2.5 lbs a week? I think you're doing great. I really wouldn't worry about anything unless you hit a plateau.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    you're fine. you're on track, doing what works for your schedule, and you'll keep this up. don't burn out trying to do everything for the short term. what you've done so far is amazing!!!
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    I think you are doing great. I have been here for 2 months and only lost 6 pounds. Why? Because I was overdoing on the exercise and burning my body out, then received a pulled muscle. You are doing Awesome! You don't want to burn yourself out with 5 little ones depending on you and your business. As long as you don't plateau for a few weeks, just keep up what you are doing!
  • Shunhades
    Shunhades Posts: 16
    Options
    Your doing alot better than you think you are. Getting in any form of exercise is alot better than 0. And as another person says, you don't want to burn yourself out.

If you do you'll be putting on excess stress to your body and thus may gain the weight back. Just because some of us workout everday (myself included) doesn't necessarily mean we're losing the weight faster and you are. So honestly don't worry about it. Your getting your results and that's what really counts, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the end of your goal so long as you get there =)

Good luck to you!
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    14lbs in 5 weeks is great!

Keep eating right, keep up the 3 days of working out, and you'll do great. Heck I couldn't imagine working with cake all day! I wouldn't last a minute!
  • misschocolate82
    Options
    Thanks everyone...guess I just needed to reassuring that I'm on the right track.
    And just so you all know it is VERY hard not to snack on cake whilst dieting lol.....just have to keep saying the calorie content in my head whilst I'm making them lol
    x
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just keep it up. You are doing great! I bet it is hard to resist the cake and frosting (yummmmmm!)