Side Effects of Clean Eating

Options
Let me start off by saying that I ate poorly for a long time. McDonalds at least 2x a week, at least 2L of pop a day and various other junk foods daily (sometimes more than once a day). I've been on the weight loss journey since May of last year and have managed to lose 59lbs.

I did stall in November and realized that in March I needed to do something different. I started to eat clean. I no longer eat packaged items (no more than 2x a month). Fast food restaurants are off the list and I only drink pop rarely. For lent this year, I gave up added refined sugar from my meals. No more sugar in my coffee or sweetened oatmeal. Avoiding artificial sweetners as much as I can. All around I feel better and the lbs started coming off again, slowly.

All good things. And since I have to deal with PCOS and insulin resistance, all things that I needed to do.

Here is my problem though. Since going clean and cutting sugar out, I have had multiple infections and/or other health concerns. Started out with an oral infection in mid March, which I was treated for. Then had two subsequent infections in my body that have only just cleared up. This weekend I started noticing that I have some breakouts of my dyhidrosis eczema. This is a super itchy condition that I have every once in a while (the last time was probably 2 years ago) in one little spot. This time it's coming up all over (toes and hands). Essentially it's like little pin head sized fluid filled bubbles and effects toes and hands.

My allergies have not been acting up over the last few weeks (I know it can be a trigger, but they are well controlled right now). The only thing I can think of is that my body's immune system was so suppressed before that I had excessive amounts of bad bacteria and toxins in my body. Now that I've been off all the processed junk for almost 2 months, is it possible that my immune system is kicking back in properly and cleaning house? Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Replies

• burnguru25
    Options
    Just a thought, but this may be a stress response from your body. You have really changed the dynamic and function of your digestive system. Your body is now adjusting and adapting like we do as organisms in a changing environment. You will experience some results that may not be welcome or enjoyable. This should be short term, though. Unless there are secondary factors like underlying viral issues or illnesses, your body should slowly come around. Stay the course and I would also recommend a full physical and workup with your physician to get a baseline.
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also started eating clean this year, in January. I, like you mentioned, am having SLOW weight loss. I haven't had any medical concerns but do have a suggestion. Try distilled water! It is supposed to help cleanse your body. If you do have a lot of suppressed yucky stuff, this may help clean your insides out. I rec. only just a gallon and that's it. Then maybe wait a few weeks and try again. It has been helpful to my loved ones after some recent surgery.....there are theory's that it helps remove the remains of anethesia from your body? I don't know the accuracy of that, and it could be mind over matter, but it has helped my mom get through. She also drank a gallon after finishing her cancer treatments. Just an idea, I am no medical practioner. GOOD LUCK!
  • wimom27
    wimom27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    my first thought when I was reading through your post is exactly what you stated.... I think your body is "cleaning house" and working on ridding you of all of the toxins. Hopefully you will get through this cleaning phase soon and you will not have to battle those issues again so long as you continue on your healthier lifestyle.
  • wimom27
    wimom27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    the reason that distilled water helps to cleanse your body of things is that it is devoid of ANYTHING extra. The distilling process pulls everything out of it including any additional minerals. Water basically absorbs things, so the less extra it has in it the more it can grab and pull out with it as it goes through your system. Hope that was understandable! anyway, yes.... distilled water is great if you are trying to rid your body of excess toxins.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I agree, it sounds like your body is detoxing by having over-active immune responses. Usually this is normal, but if it gets too bothersome go to the dr. Could be an underlying cause.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance suggests a little diabetes, which can classically lead to infections re: too much blood sugar. Have you had this checked and under control? That would be the most likely thing to rule out first.
  • mexiana
    mexiana Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I actually spoke to a nutritionist about this very thing. I was telling her (it's someone I work with, I didn't "pay" to go to one) that I feel like I'm going to stick with it this time because I'm actually working through the illnesses. Then I confessed that I've started this journey MANY times before and it's usually getting sick that derails me. I get sick, lose focus, eat bad, stop exercising for a few days and then suddenly those few days turn into a month! She told me that your body IS going to get sick because it's getting rid of toxins and that I'm doing great to work through it. I'm 4 months in and got sick a LOT in the beginning, I had strep and bronchitis along with several sniffly colds before it was all said and done, but I've been sickness free for about a month now, hoping my body is finished detoxing!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy :)

I had a full physical in November and everything worked up.

I'm also in the process of getting ready to start fertility treatments so had a full workup done in February and and waiting on Wednesday to have another full panel done. My blood sugar is always spot on during my fasting tests and when I test at home (my dad is diabetic and so I have access to the testing kits) I'm always spot on as well. I'm already taking Metformin though for the Insulin Resistance so my doctor told me even if it does develop into diabetes I'm already covered off more than someone who isn't IR. For me, the IR is a contributing factor to PCOS. I thoguht it might have something to do with the sugars too only because the ezcema came up right around Easter (I didn't start on the junk until Saturday evening though and there were a few breakouts before then....)

I will try the distilled water too (I have to go to the drugstore and get some lotion since dry skin is one of the causes/results of the eczema. I have lots at home, but they're all scented) tonight and see if that helps.

Mexiana - it's funny that you bring up bronchitis and stuff....Usually I'm fully knocked out with pneumonia and/or bronchitis in the late winter and I had nothing this year....I've been more aggressive about my sinus health (and keeping them clear), but these infections have not made me "feel" sick. If you know what I mean.....My dentist found the first one and then the others were more obvious (they were a yeast infection and a bladder infection, sorry for TMI)......I have had as much energy as before and have not had to miss any work for any of them.

Just wanted to get a sanity check...just seems like it's been one thing after another this year and I know it could be impacting my weight loss efforts......
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    I'm eating clean now too (over a month now with only 1 day off) and I was thinking the same thing... body is cleansing! Just wanted to make a note Pam, make sure you're getting enough good fat! Your body needs those good fats - especially your brain! Olive oil, avocados, nuts etc etc. Don't forgo these foods! Keep up the good work! xo
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Thanks Jenny - that's a good point. I know I'd had a concern with this in the past (November time frame), but I think I should be back on track. Avos have never been a favourite of mine, but I'm trying to like them to make sure I'm in good shape.....Blech!!!! LOL
  • JennyBoBenny
    Options
    try using a ripe avocado in a sandwich - as a spread instead of mayo or something. :)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    crank up the vitamins, kiwis, apples, but try to eat them on an empty stomach to promote vitamin uptake. If you are getting sick you can also use added garlic to boost the immune response.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    So I picked up the distilled water - that's going to be my beverage of choice for tomorrow - a gallon is A LOT of water....LOL It's sitting and staring at me.......The lotion doesn't really help with the itching although I do leave footprints when I walk after I apply....need to start putting clean socks on immediately afterwards....LOL

It doesn't help that my doctor is on vacation for two weeks and I already had to go to the walk in clinic for a prescription refill....it's going to be bad if I have to go back.....LOL If this doesn't clear up in a week or so though, I'm going to have to see someone as I go on a business trip in 3 weeks and I'm not going to be able to see anyone until after that (it's out of the country). Going to be trying the avocados tomorrow as well - I have been so focused on eating well before the 12 hour mark for the fasting test tomorrow that I don't want to focus on anything more tonight.

Thanks again everyone for your help! It's helpful to know that I'm not going crazy!!