Flaxseed

icandoit
icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
Get the Facts on Flax
The Little Seed With a Big Punch
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian & Nicole Nichols, Health Educator

Flaxseed has been a part of human and animal diets for thousands of years. Even in the days of Hippocrates, flaxseed was eaten for its health benefits. Recently, however, flaxseed has gained popularity among health-conscious Americans. Despite the hype surrounding this little seed, a lot of people have never heard of it. It may not exactly be a wonder food, but flaxseed certainly has nutritional benefits.

Nutritional Benefits
Flaxseeds contain the following nutrients:
Lignans. Flaxseeds are one of the best plant sources for lignans, a type of phytoestrogen that may protect against certain types of cancer, including breast cancer and prostate cancer. Even the National Cancer Institute has identified its cancer-fighting potential.
Omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds are the best plant source of healthy omega-3's, which are also found in fish. Fifty grams of flaxseed has about the same amount of omega-3's as three pounds of salmon!
Fiber. Flaxseeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, which keep the digestive system in tip-top shape.
Protein. Flaxseed is a complete protein source, meaning that it contains every amino acid that your body can't make on its own. It’s uncommon to find plant-based foods that are complete proteins, so flaxseed makes a great addition to vegetarian diets.
One tablespoon of flaxseed contains:
35 to 40 calories
1.6 grams of protein
2.8 grams of carbohydrate
2.8 grams of fat (0.3 grams saturated, 0.6 grams monounsaturated, and 1.8 grams polyunsaturated)
2.5 to 8 grams of fiber
3 milligrams of sodium
Health Benefits
Research shows that flaxseed may have the ability to:
Prevent cancer and reduce tumor growth in the breasts, prostate and colon
Decrease the risks of developing heart disease, blood clots, strokes, and cardiac arrhythmia by lowering total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure
Regulate bowel functions and prevent constipation
Relieve breast pain related to a woman’s hormonal cycle
Help improve blood glucose control in diabetics
Help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis, Parkinson’s disease and asthma
Flaxseed Types
Most grocery stores do sell packaged flaxseed on their shelves, but natural foods stores tend to also offer sell flaxseeds in bulk form too. There are two "types" of flaxseed: brown and golden. Although the color and price differ, the nutritional benefits are the same. The brown flaxseed is less expensive than the golden, but because golden flaxseed is lighter in color, it’s easier to hide in a variety of foods.

Most stores sell flaxseed in three different forms:
Whole flaxseeds. You'll find golden or brown flaxseeds in bulk bins or pre-packaged. This is the most economical way to purchase flaxseeds. These will store well for long time because the seed is in tact. But to get the benefits of flaxseed, it must be ground before use (or chewed thoroughly). You can grind flaxseeds in a specialty flaxseed grinder (found at specialty kitchen stores or online), food processor, coffee grinder, or blender. Once ground, it must be stored in an air-tight, opaque container in the refrigerator or freezer. You can add whole flaxseeds to almost any food, even when baking.

Ground flaxseed. Also called "flaxseed meal," you'll find pre-packaged golden and brown varieties on the grocery shelf or refrigerated section—but not in bulk form. Ground flaxseed is slightly more expensive than whole flaxseed. Ground flaxseed is highly perishable when exposed to air and light, and it goes bad quickly. Buying ground flaxseed saves you the step of grinding the seeds yourself, but it must be stored in an air-tight and opaque container in the refrigerator or freezer after opening. You can add ground flaxseed to almost any food, even when cooking and baking.

Flaxseed oil. You'll find flax oil in opaque bottles in the refrigerated section or sometimes in capsules. Both flaxseed oil in a bottle and flaxseed oil capsules are considered to be "supplements," not "foods." Flaxseed oil and capsules is the most expensive way to purchase flaxseed. The oil is even more perishable than ground flaxseed and goes back quickly when exposed to air, light and heat. You can add flaxseed oil to many foods, but do NOT heat it or cook with it. Heat will cause flaxseed oil to go rancid and destroy its healthy properties. Only add flaxseed oil to chilled foods (like smoothies, salad dressings, yogurt, etc.) or to foods after cooking.
Serving Suggestions
Smooth and flat, the little seeds have a nutty taste. Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. In general, consuming 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed each day is considered for most adults. But it is possible to eat too much flaxseed. Some studies have shown nutrient and drug interactions when consumption reaches or exceeds 1/4 cup daily, so discuss this with your doctor and pharmacist. A small number of people may have an allergic reaction to flaxseed; therefore start with 1/2 teaspoon to see if an allergic reaction occurs.

More studies are needed to determine flaxseed’s effects in pregnant and breastfeeding women, but most researchers feel that 1 tablespoon daily is probably safe for this population. Check with your physician first. Studies have shown that lignans in flaxseed antagonize the action of some drugs (including tamoxifen) used by breast cancer patients.

Flaxseed can add flavor, texture and nutrients to almost any food!
Sprinkle ground flaxseed on cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, salads, and coleslaw
Enhance cold dressings, yogurts, sauces and smoothies with flaxseed oil
Mix ground flaxseed into meatloaf and meatballs
Add whole flaxseeds to granola bars, muffins and other baked goods
Add ground flaxseeds to pancake, muffin, cookie batter and other baked goods
Add ground flaxseeds to fish or chicken coating and oven-fry
Sprinkle ground flaxseed on casseroles, sauces, soups and stews

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Get the Facts on Flax
    The Little Seed With a Big Punch
    -- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian & Nicole Nichols, Health Educator

Flaxseed has been a part of human and animal diets for thousands of years. Even in the days of Hippocrates, flaxseed was eaten for its health benefits. Recently, however, flaxseed has gained popularity among health-conscious Americans. Despite the hype surrounding this little seed, a lot of people have never heard of it. It may not exactly be a wonder food, but flaxseed certainly has nutritional benefits.

Nutritional Benefits
    Flaxseeds contain the following nutrients:
    Lignans. Flaxseeds are one of the best plant sources for lignans, a type of phytoestrogen that may protect against certain types of cancer, including breast cancer and prostate cancer. Even the National Cancer Institute has identified its cancer-fighting potential.
    Omega-3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds are the best plant source of healthy omega-3's, which are also found in fish. Fifty grams of flaxseed has about the same amount of omega-3's as three pounds of salmon!
    Fiber. Flaxseeds contain both soluble and insoluble fiber, which keep the digestive system in tip-top shape.
    Protein. Flaxseed is a complete protein source, meaning that it contains every amino acid that your body can't make on its own. It’s uncommon to find plant-based foods that are complete proteins, so flaxseed makes a great addition to vegetarian diets.
    One tablespoon of flaxseed contains:
    35 to 40 calories
    1.6 grams of protein
    2.8 grams of carbohydrate
    2.8 grams of fat (0.3 grams saturated, 0.6 grams monounsaturated, and 1.8 grams polyunsaturated)
    2.5 to 8 grams of fiber
    3 milligrams of sodium
    Health Benefits
    Research shows that flaxseed may have the ability to:
    Prevent cancer and reduce tumor growth in the breasts, prostate and colon
    Decrease the risks of developing heart disease, blood clots, strokes, and cardiac arrhythmia by lowering total cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure
    Regulate bowel functions and prevent constipation
    Relieve breast pain related to a woman’s hormonal cycle
    Help improve blood glucose control in diabetics
    Help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis, Parkinson’s disease and asthma
    Flaxseed Types
    Most grocery stores do sell packaged flaxseed on their shelves, but natural foods stores tend to also offer sell flaxseeds in bulk form too. There are two "types" of flaxseed: brown and golden. Although the color and price differ, the nutritional benefits are the same. The brown flaxseed is less expensive than the golden, but because golden flaxseed is lighter in color, it’s easier to hide in a variety of foods.

Most stores sell flaxseed in three different forms:
    Whole flaxseeds. You'll find golden or brown flaxseeds in bulk bins or pre-packaged. This is the most economical way to purchase flaxseeds. These will store well for long time because the seed is in tact. But to get the benefits of flaxseed, it must be ground before use (or chewed thoroughly). You can grind flaxseeds in a specialty flaxseed grinder (found at specialty kitchen stores or online), food processor, coffee grinder, or blender. Once ground, it must be stored in an air-tight, opaque container in the refrigerator or freezer. You can add whole flaxseeds to almost any food, even when baking.

Ground flaxseed. Also called "flaxseed meal," you'll find pre-packaged golden and brown varieties on the grocery shelf or refrigerated section—but not in bulk form. Ground flaxseed is slightly more expensive than whole flaxseed. Ground flaxseed is highly perishable when exposed to air and light, and it goes bad quickly. Buying ground flaxseed saves you the step of grinding the seeds yourself, but it must be stored in an air-tight and opaque container in the refrigerator or freezer after opening. You can add ground flaxseed to almost any food, even when cooking and baking.

Flaxseed oil. You'll find flax oil in opaque bottles in the refrigerated section or sometimes in capsules. Both flaxseed oil in a bottle and flaxseed oil capsules are considered to be "supplements," not "foods." Flaxseed oil and capsules is the most expensive way to purchase flaxseed. The oil is even more perishable than ground flaxseed and goes back quickly when exposed to air, light and heat. You can add flaxseed oil to many foods, but do NOT heat it or cook with it. Heat will cause flaxseed oil to go rancid and destroy its healthy properties. Only add flaxseed oil to chilled foods (like smoothies, salad dressings, yogurt, etc.) or to foods after cooking.
    Serving Suggestions
    Smooth and flat, the little seeds have a nutty taste. Keep in mind that a little bit goes a long way. In general, consuming 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed each day is considered for most adults. But it is possible to eat too much flaxseed. Some studies have shown nutrient and drug interactions when consumption reaches or exceeds 1/4 cup daily, so discuss this with your doctor and pharmacist. A small number of people may have an allergic reaction to flaxseed; therefore start with 1/2 teaspoon to see if an allergic reaction occurs.

More studies are needed to determine flaxseed’s effects in pregnant and breastfeeding women, but most researchers feel that 1 tablespoon daily is probably safe for this population. Check with your physician first. Studies have shown that lignans in flaxseed antagonize the action of some drugs (including tamoxifen) used by breast cancer patients.

Flaxseed can add flavor, texture and nutrients to almost any food!
    Sprinkle ground flaxseed on cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, salads, and coleslaw
    Enhance cold dressings, yogurts, sauces and smoothies with flaxseed oil
    Mix ground flaxseed into meatloaf and meatballs
    Add whole flaxseeds to granola bars, muffins and other baked goods
    Add ground flaxseeds to pancake, muffin, cookie batter and other baked goods
    Add ground flaxseeds to fish or chicken coating and oven-fry
    Sprinkle ground flaxseed on casseroles, sauces, soups and stews
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    There is a Kashi Go Lean cereal with flaxseed... I think it's the honey one. It is so GOOD! I add one serving of the cereal to a 1/4 cup of 1% cottage cheese, mix well and add a sprinkle of salt and it is so delicious! Thanks for the info!!!

xoxo!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Thanks for the article on flaxseed. I had tried the whole seed and found it very hard to chew so I tossed the bag of seeds out. After reading this I will buy more seeds and a grinder so I can grind them myself as needed. I eat an oatmeal that has flaxseed already in it. The oatmeal has 7 grams of fiber and 120 calories per packet. It is a store brand here. I have not been able to find the name brand….not even at the store I get the oatmeal at. That oatmeal fills me up better then any other that I have found. I am wondering if it is the flaxseed that makes the difference. :flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    There is a Kashi Go Lean cereal with flaxseed... I think it's the honey one. It is so GOOD! I add one serving of the cereal to a 1/4 cup of 1% cottage cheese, mix well and add a sprinkle of salt and it is so delicious! Thanks for the info!!!

xoxo!

I can’t bring the Kashi Go Lean cereals in the house. They are wonderful and really good for you but I can’t stay out of it. I keep going back and eating more. :embarassed: I would eat it dry like popcorn and with milk also. So I had to add it to the list of things I could no longer have in the house.
    A lot of people love it and eat it every day. But as for me…..well….I just have to leave it on the shelf at the store or I will make a pig out of myself eating it. :sad:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    I love putting flax seed in my smoothies every morning! Thanks for the extra info! I'll be sure to continue doing it. If I baked, I'd add it to that, too!

Re: the post before mine...have you tried the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal? It has a lot of fiber and protein...keeps me full all morning. I've added one of the flavors to the food thing so you can see all of its information.

I love this site! So much good information and so many positive, motivating people! Thanks!
  • Loretta_Jo
    I love putting flax seed in my smoothies every morning! Thanks for the extra info! I'll be sure to continue doing it. If I baked, I'd add it to that, too!

Re: the post before mine...have you tried the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal? It has a lot of fiber and protein...keeps me full all morning. I've added one of the flavors to the food thing so you can see all of its information.

I love this site! So much good information and so many positive, motivating people! Thanks!

Yes I did see that at the store. All the stores around here have are the ones that are flavored and they don’t have as much fiber as the store brand I buy. Plus the Quaker Weight Control has more calories. At my age I need the extra fiber and as few calories a possible. (I still eat my 1200 a day though)
    I do keep picking the Weight Control Oatmeal up and looking it over. Who knows I may just buy some and find I like it better. Thanks for the info hun.
    What kind of smoothies do you make? I may have to give that a try too. I was drinking a powder that I mixed with milk and ice but it has soy protein in it. I had to stop drinking it because of my nonfunctioning thyroid.
    I agree with you this site is awesome. It is the best I have found.
    Thanks again for the info. :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    [/quote]

What kind of smoothies do you make? I may have to give that a try too. I was drinking a powder that I mixed with milk and ice but it has soy protein in it. I had to stop drinking it because of my nonfunctioning thyroid.
    I agree with you this site is awesome. It is the best I have found.
    Thanks again for the info. :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

I can't have the stuff with soy protein, either, because I'm allergic to soy. I have the recipe posted under "recipes" and labeled "breakfast smoothie." I use 1/2 of a banana, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 60 cal yogurt, Crystal Light, flax seed, psyllium husk, and vitamin powder. It keeps me full and tastes super yummy! It's a little over 200 calories but is worth it with all of the good stuff that's in it. It's the only way I can get a vitamin supplement in. I like that it has a lot of fiber which keeps me full. Hope you try it and enjoy it as much as I do!