I need help!

Options
OK, so I am logging on here every day, posting all of my calories in but I have a problem-portion size. I don't have a food scale or anything so I don't really know what correct portions look like. Any great wisdom? PS I love love love this place. For the most part people are so non-judgemental, friendly and helpful. Wish I had found ya'll 100 pounds ago :wink:

Susan

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    There's some easy tips I've seen on the internet that show simply like a 3 0z piece of chicken (boneless skinless breast) is about the size of a deck of cards. I think an apple size is like a tennis ball. There are others too but I can't remember.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Food scale Walmart $10
  • katerice1976
    Options
    I usually eye ball estimated portions. For example if one serving = 4 oz and I make an 8 oz chicken breast, I just eyeball half of it. Seems to work for just about everything. For drink sizes, I estimate a coffee cup size is 6 oz if full and a drinking glass is about 12 oz. Hope that helps a little. I lost 90lbs about 5 years ago doing that. Of course in the couple years, I stopped paying attention to portions (usually in drinks, not food) and that cost me about 40lbs of regained weight. So I'm starting again. ;)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that is helpful ~
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate

I'd also consider getting a food scale.
    You can get them for like $10 at Walmart.
    Feel free to add me if you need support ;)
  • SUSANB37
    SUSANB37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I understand I can buy a food scale, but I wont be taking a food scale with me to work or when I go out of town on business. My main issue is with carbs-pastas and potatoes.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    3 oz is a deck of cards but a whole chicken breast is around 5 oz. I now eat on a 9" plate and make sure the the veggies fill half the plate, meat and starch the other quarters. It's usually about 1/2 cup of rice, pasta, or potatoes (I do measure this with a measuring cup).
  • rob_spitzer
    rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I want to measure all of my intake at home but what about when I am at work. My solution was to prepare my lunch at home the night prior where I can physically measure what I am eating and then brown bag it to work....
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/10-tips-perfect-portion-sizes/pictures/index.html

I bought a portable food scale that is about the size of a deck of cards for my purse so that I have it all the time!!
  • SUSANB37
    SUSANB37 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Where did you find the portable food scale?
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just bought a very nice food scale from Overstock. It was 6.99 cheater than Wal-Mart. Its like the Biggest Loser scale.