Water weight question

Options
I gained a pound on Saturday after eating some pizza. I know for a fact I didn't eat over calories or fat at all so I assumed it was water weight from the sodium, but even after drinking a gallon of water and watching what I ate yesterday it didn't go away. Does it take more than a day to shed water weight?

Replies

• LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Bump
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Usually takes me a few days to see the scale go back down. Just keep drinking tons of water, it'll come off :)
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am currently also having this issue. Barely went over cals yesterday (79 cals) and not at all the day before but have gained 2lbs in the last 2 days (a lb a day). I've gone WAY over in sodium (easter meals) so I wonder if that's it?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    yeah, it could take a couple days ... keep up the hydration and don't get too discouraged
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    water retention is probably the culprit. Also, your monthly visitor can affect the scale greatly.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I indulged in WAY too much sodium for 2 days....and drank TONS of water (14 or 15 8 oz cups) on those days and the next 2 days, and today I finally saw the scale move back down to "pre-sodium-indulgence" weight. Just keep chugging the water.
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure sodium killed me this whole week cause I either ate out or ordered in. Trying not to get discouraged.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I think I'm especially sensitive to sodium and sometimes it takes me up to 4 days to get rid of it. I think you get to know your body on this journey so don't get discouraged. Those days and weeks happen so just get back to eating healthy, exercising and drinking that darn water!
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I hate water weight sooooo much! I was up 7 lbs after vacation, lost half of it after a day of drinking plenty of water and hot lemon water. Take juice from a lemon and add hot water, plus minus a little sugar/splenda and drink twice a day. It helps! Also a low sodium diet for a while, of course
  • Moop87
    Moop87 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hate Water weight as well! Usually it's an issue at that TOM. I will be doing well, then all of a sudden I automatically gain. I was really freaked out this week because I wasn't due yet and gained 8 pounds! I knew I had cheated a bit but not to that extent. As it turns out due to stress or whatever reason my cycle started early (19 days). I usually don't see a loss until after my period is over. And to make matters worse, my doctor prescribed me a water pill years ago because I tend to retain water all the time regardless, so it freaks me out still. The pills help but not with that tom. Ahhhh the joys of being a woman. :laugh:
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight or food weight.
    Try not to eat after 5pm or 6pm and that should help.

And just give yourself time to go to the bathroom to see if you actually lose anything.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Water weight and even digested food weight are the probable culprits. It can take up to 4 or more days to shed the water weight if you tend to retain water, drink LOTS of water. Digested food weight doesn't last as long, but if your fiber count was low it can take a few days for it all to make its way through your system. Again, LOTS of water and fiber will help. If you calories were good and your activity level was good, it is highly unlikely that it was fat gain. Instead use these increases to examine your food diary and learn from it. What are the things that cause you to retain water or cause the digested food to take longer to get out of your system. It will help you in the long run to re-learn how and what to eat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Water weight and even digested food weight are the probable culprits. It can take up to 4 or more days to shed the water weight if you tend to retain water, drink LOTS of water. Digested food weight doesn't last as long, but if your fiber count was low it can take a few days for it all to make its way through your system. Again, LOTS of water and fiber will help. If you calories were good and your activity level was good, it is highly unlikely that it was fat gain. Instead use these increases to examine your food diary and learn from it. What are the things that cause you to retain water or cause the digested food to take longer to get out of your system. It will help you in the long run to re-learn how and what to eat.