How many calories should a meal be?

Options
Sorry. It sounds like a very basic question but I honestly don't know. Or does it even matter?

Replies

• donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    You have to answer a few questions first:

Do you want snacks during the day?
    What are your "Goal" calories (on your home page here)?
    If you want snacks, how many?

You can use these answers like this:

Snacks? Yes. How many? 2 Goal calories? 1300

We'll set snacks at 150 calories each. With 2 snacks, that comes to 300 calories. 1300-300 leaves you with 1000. 1000/3 meals = 333.33 calories per meal.

If you work out during the day you can portion those work out calories however you want between the meals and snacks.

After a few days if you find you are hungrier in the morning than the evening - take some cals from dinner and put them towards breakfast. Or vice versa if you're hungry at night.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Here's my Golden Guidelines (but they do not happen everyday for me...)
    I eat 5 meals a day. I always eat at least 500 calories for breakfast, then divide my left over by 4. So, for me, the meals are between 350-400 calories. I do things a little different than most people though, but it works well for me.
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    300-400 calories.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have about 5-6 "meals" a day - I don't distinguish between a meal or a snack - they're all the same to me. Just some food every 3 hours to replenish my body and keep my metabolism going. My meals are 200-350 calories each, and I balance them out to equal my daily calories (1,200), or if I workout I eat a few more meals!
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    yep, donicagalek is right! You have to think about how much you have available to know what is the right cals per meal for you! For instance, I know I am at my very hungriest at night, so I eat a tab larger dinner than I do breakfast or lunch. It helps keep me from going to be hungry.
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I split my calories between 3 meals and 3 snacks so if I was only on 1200 calories - that is a non exercise day - it would be 3 snacks of arround 100 calories each and 3 meals of around 300 calories each.

On an exercise day, I'll have an extra 100 calorie snack aroud 45 minutes before and the remainder of the 'exercise' given calories in the meal following the activity.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals and how many meals a day you eat.

sometimes I don't get to eat as often as I'd like and I end up eating 1000 cals in a meal.
    Other days my schedule lets me eat a lot of small meals and they're closer to 400 a piece.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I don't think it matters. Just make sure you arent letting yourself get too hungry. Spread your calories out as much as possible. Three meals a day and three snacks is optimal. Not eating all day and having a huge dinner is not good. Its bad for your blood sugar and will make you want to over eat when you do finally eat.
  • XBabigrl72
    Options
    I eat about 3-4 times a day and am allowed 1700 calories. I eat three 500 cal meals, or I try, that leaves me 200 calories for a snack.
  • farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of variables that go into this one... age, BMR, goal weight, how active you are, etc. Also, how meals do you eat a day? 3 with no snacks, 3 with snacks, 5 equally sized meals, etc.?

As a general guideline, split your calories up by however many meals you're planning to eat a day. For example, if MFP says eat 1,500 calories you can split that up into 3 meals of 500 calories each or 5 meals of 300 calories each. I would also encourage you to eat your biggest meal at the beginning of the day rather than "save" calories all day so you can have a blow-out dinner at the end of your day. Your body needs calories most when you wake up and needs the least when you have expended all your energy for the day and are ready to shut down and sleep in a few hours.

Also, working out gives you some flexibility in your day. If you're supposed to net 1,500 calories per day and you know you're going to work out for 30 minutes and burn 250 calories--then you have 1,750 calories worth of food to play with. And again, try to eat those throughout your day rather than "save" them for a 250 calorie dessert.

Hope this helps!!! :)
  • leebluejay
    Options
    I just plan my meals in advance and count backwards. If I know I want a 500+ meal for dinner, I need to stick to around 300-400 for lunch, and if I want snacks I have to make it to the gym. If I know I'm not going to the gym that day, I try to avoid having an soda because I know I don't have the extra 150 calories in my diet that day. Sometimes I plug in my dinner to the system first, after breakfast, and then see what I have left over for the day. You could do it any way you want, but planning ahead is the key. ALWAYS check calories before you go out to lunch or dinner at a restaurant, for example. Then when you look a the menu, you aren't tricked by something that sounds ok.

But most everyone is correct--on average 300-400 is a good number to stick to. If you find yourself short on calories at the end of the day, try to avoid fat as it adds more calories than protein and carbs do. Also, most carbs are not that filling so if you can only have one thing--choose the protein. You get more bang for your buck.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to determine is how many calories you need to be taking in everyday to lose weight. Talk to your doctor or a nutritionist, or follow one of the basic formulas online based on your weight now, what you want your weight to be in how long, and your activity level. Remember if you do not eat enough calories your body will turn off its calorie burner and you will not lose any weight.

I try to spread my calories out throughout the day and I try to plan ahead. Many say to get in more protein and calories in the morning and that seems to be a smart way to go. Make sure you eat SOMETHING - ANYTHING within an hour of getting up so you can jump start your metabolism.

I try to have some dairy and protein early as in a smoothie or peanut butter and a banana, an egg, or cheese or something. Then I work out and follow it with an equate shake from Walmart - high protein and fiber and less than 200 calories.

Also as you go through your day your calories should decrease - don't have 700 calories at dinner then try to sleep with that in your stomach. Heavy meal at lunch if you need to.

Just plan your days. And break up your calories based on what your needs are. I need a piece of chocolate everyday - so I eat it. But I count it!

Be true to yourself and plan and you should be able to do this.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. Just make sure you arent letting yourself get too hungry. Spread your calories out as much as possible. Three meals a day and three snacks is optimal. Not eating all day and having a huge dinner is not good. Its bad for your blood sugar and will make you want to over eat when you do finally eat.

Not eating all day and having all your calories at night will not hurt you one bit. I have no problems whatsoever staying within my caloric limits eating this way. Actually its easier and I go to bed satisfied every night.
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    I pretty much agree with what has been said by the others here. Breakfast is an important meal, so if you have a higher calorie meal make it the first one. Most everywhere I look tells me that you should eat many smaller meals rather than three large ones. That can be hard depending on your lifestyle, but try. Try to make your meals about the same size (calorie-wise) and keep snacks small.

Ultimately, so long as your net calories are below your daily goal you will lose weight. You'll just lose it easier and keep it off better if you keep a good balance throughout the day, because this allows you metabolism to stay high throughout the whole day. My biggest barrier that I am still fighting is eating too much at dinner, especially when I have a lot of calories left. I think I would lose more if I could get that in check.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I pretty much agree with what has been said by the others here. Breakfast is an important meal, so if you have a higher calorie meal make it the first one. Most everywhere I look tells me that you should eat many smaller meals rather than three large ones. That can be hard depending on your lifestyle, but try. Try to make your meals about the same size (calorie-wise) and keep snacks small.

Ultimately, so long as your net calories are below your daily goal you will lose weight. You'll just lose it easier and keep it off better if you keep a good balance throughout the day, because this allows you metabolism to stay high throughout the whole day. My biggest barrier that I am still fighting is eating too much at dinner, especially when I have a lot of calories left. I think I would lose more if I could get that in check.

It will make no difference for you to eat less at dinner if the caloric intake is the same.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    Sorry I disagree with you. It is best to keep your blood sugar levels as even as possible, also its a fact that most people over eat if they are really, really hungry. Yes you will still lose weight as long as you stay within your calorie goal, but its not as good for your body to go hungry then binge. You will not have as much energy during the day and will probably feel sick. You can lose weight doing alot of unhealthy things. Weight loss is not the only goal for most people. Health is.

Not eating all day and having all your calories at night will not hurt you one bit. I have no problems whatsoever staying within my caloric limits eating this way. Actually its easier and I go to bed satisfied every night.
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    Agreed.

• 4theking
    Options
    Sorry I disagree with you. It is best to keep your blood sugar levels as even as possible, also its a fact that most people over eat if they are really, really hungry. Yes you will still lose weight as long as you stay within your calorie goal, but its not as good for your body to go hungry then binge. You will not have as much energy during the day and will probably feel sick. You can lose weight doing alot of unhealthy things. Weight loss is not the only goal for most people. Health is.

I'm sorry, experience and new studies say otherwise.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I try to even out my meals and snacks- so about 300 calories each (I total my snack calories to get the 300). This way I am eating all day and don't feel the urge to cheat, keep my blood sugar balanced, and my metabolism going. I think its different for everyone though and you need to find what works best for you
  • MSDRIZZ
    Options
    Really? What new studies?

I'm sorry, experience and new studies say otherwise.