Cabin Trip!!

starboardzor
starboardzor Posts: 312
edited September 26 in Chit-Chat
Hello all. My boyfriend and I are renting a cabin for four days in the Blueridge Mountains of Virginia and plan to cook all our food. The cabin has a stove top and an oven and a grill outside. The place is also just under three hours away.. .I'm thinking about preparing a lot of the food (sides, casseroles) ahead of time and packing it in a cooler so we can just throw it in the oven when we get there. There should be a grocery store nearby where we can pick up meat for grilling.

I need help with my shopping list! What would you bring? What would you cook/grill? The last thing I want to do is spend way too much money and end up with a ton of leftovers. We are going to be doing a lot of hiking and mountain biking so I'll want to be able to pack good lunches. Also if you have any good recipes for marinade and shish kabobs, I'd love some ideas. Thanks!!

Replies

• jgallport
    jgallport Posts: 7 Member
    Shish-K-Bobs are always good. Make it with chicken and your favorite vegtables. Ive seen people put a few fruits on there too.

Some ideas on things to put on there: chicken, green pepper, apple, potato, red peppee, onion, ce;ery, carrot.

Just pick your favorite vegables, cut them up, put them pn a stick and grill. Try some Mrs. Dash seasoning.
  • jgallport
    jgallport Posts: 7 Member
    We are actually going to Blue Ridge Mountains in Georgia for our Anniversary so I will be doing the same thing
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Doesn't sound like it should be too difficult if you have a stove, oven and grill. Plenty of options available.

If you you are planning to make food beforehand, I think you're headed in the right direction with casseroles. You can make them at home, and portion them out and package them, so all you have to do is pull them out of storage and heat. There should be some receipes available for this type of thing, but I don't have any handy right now.

Vegetables (peppers, squash, mushrooms etc) and sweet potatoes would also be on my list. Very easy to store and grill.

For lunches, I'm always a fan of PB & Banana. Take some still slightly green bananas with you, and by the time you're there they should be just right. Cut them up when you need them. PB also doubles as a great snack while hiking. Just bring a small jar and a spoon with you.

I grew up in the Blue Ridge. Really beautiful place. Have fun out there!
This discussion has been closed.