Trouble with NET CALORIES please HELP

Options
I've been on MFP for awhile now but I'm still kind of confused about the whole net calorie thing. Do I have to eat back my net calories or just try to eat no less 1200 calories a day? I'm so confused because I've heard so many different ways:huh:

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.

MFP builds in a deficit for you based on the information you gave it: height, weight, lifestyle, goal weight loss, etc.). All you need to do is follow the calorie goals it gives you.

If you never exercise, you will lose weight. If you do exercise AND keep to the goal MFP gives you (see first two sentences) you will lose weight and be healthier.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • avninjalette123
    avninjalette123 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Think of it like this.....
    It's like a math equation.... 1,200(goal) +480(from eating) -198(from working out) = 282 (cals consumed)
    You should be eating back the calories you burn or your body will go into survival mode and it could push your weightloss back.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Net calories = calories consumed - calories burned

Your net calories should be at least 1200, but meeting your daily calorie goal is usually better. That means that yes, you need to eat the calories you "earn" from exercise.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Lool.

Although i don't like to eat mine back, i find if i do i start to gain weight...
    Each to their own i say!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options

Lool.

Although i don't like to eat mine back, i find if i do i start to gain weight...
    Each to their own i say!

Might want to read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    Always remember.... MFP does the calculations for you.

This means that if MFP shows that you have calories left, you can eat those calories.

Facts:

1) If you eat your exercise calories, and still have a green number (or zero) at the bottom of your diary, then you will lose weight at approximately the lbs per week you entered in your goals.

2) If you don't eat the exercise calories, you may lose faster at first. However, losing too fast makes it harder to keep it off. Also, if you continue this practice your body will eventually start compensating up to and including starvation mode (retaining fat as a survival mechanism.)

3) Say you eat 50 calories over your daily net. (The number 50 is red at the bottom of your diary.) You will still most likely lose because MFP has most likely accounted for a larger deficit than that. Just don't make a habit of it. Shoot for having 0-50 calories left at the end of the day, without eating too much at the end of the day to get there.

P.S. That link posted earlier is funny and informative!
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Your NET calories (on your home page) should be as close to the daily goal MFP set for you as possible.

Your REMAINING calories (on your food diary page) should be as close to zero as possible.

FINALLY, an explanation of what I should look at that I can understand. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Never did understand the whole mathematical equation of it. This explanation makes it easier for me to get.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

How about if we settle for 'YES, Some of Them'? I exercise quite a bit and am following a half pound loss/week plan. I always eat some, but never ALL of my exercise calories back. I simply refuse to believe that my body is going to go into starvation mode or that I'm going to undermine my 1/2 lb. a week goal when I'm consistently eating 1800-2000 calories a day. Sometimes, with exercise, MFP tells me to eat 2700 calories a day. When I go backpacking, MFP will tell me to eat 8200 calories to sustain an all day hike with a 40 lb pack. I really don't need to do that. I would be so sick!