Tough Mudder training

Options
Anyone training for a Tough Mudder? Wanna be my online training buddy. My Mudder is in one month, so I know I am slacking, but I am about to bust it out like crazy!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lol, I thought you were a newfie when you posted this as "mudder" is a newfism for mother. Not sure what your definition of a mudder is but best of luck.
  • cdphelps
    cdphelps Posts: 1
    Options
    I did the November event in NJ and, after a terror-filled and sleepless night, it turned out to be a total blast! You are going to have a great time. I suggest CrossFit or some big time pushups/pull ups/core work if you haven't already started. My friends and I are doing another TM next October. Good luck and have fun :)
  • Lazyboy09
    Lazyboy09 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do Tough Mudder in Virginia this fall, October. Doing a few regular mud-runs (warrior dash, spartan race) between then and now. Mostly working on some generic cardio and trying to run, mixing in some rounded strength training. I wish I could afford a CrossFit membership but that has to wait at least until late this year.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I want to do one really, really badly..... when I'm ready.... and fit... in another lifetime!! :laugh:

Good luck on yours!!! A friend of a friend recently completed one. There is one near me in October. My best friend and I want to compete and have made personal goals to prepare for it... but somehow the cupcakes keep killing our motivation :sad:.

GOOD LUCK!!! Let us know how it goes!!!

Um, wait. Did you say one month?? Are you physically fit enough to endure it? I'm NOT trying to be rude or mean, just simply asking. Are you in shape enough to compete?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Anyone training for a Tough Mudder? Wanna be my online training buddy. My Mudder is in one month, so I know I am slacking, but I am about to bust it out like crazy!

I am going to do the Tough Mudder in 2012 because my tri schedule is keeping me busy for this year. Have you checked out the workout on Tough Mudder's website? They have suggested exercises to do that apply to each individual obstacle.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    lol, I thought you were a newfie when you posted this as "mudder" is a newfism for mother. Not sure what your definition of a mudder is but best of luck.

http://toughmudder.com/

logo_tough-mudder.png
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Hahaha, I changed my mind. I no longer want to do a Tough Mudder!!! See the course below but really read those events. The Electroshock Picture is the one that solidified my NO!

From April 9 + 10, 2011
    http://toughmudder.com/events/pennsylvania/bear-creek-course-map-2011/
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    Hahaha, I changed my mind. I no longer want to do a Tough Mudder!!! See the course below but really read those events. The Electroshock Picture is the one that solidified my NO!

From April 9 + 10, 2011
    http://toughmudder.com/events/pennsylvania/bear-creek-course-map-2011/

The Electroshock thing was the freakiest looking thing to me too haha
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I thought about doing the VA one. But I don't wanna pay 120 bucks :/
  • xaintes
    Options

I'm looking at it now... It sounds crazy fun.
  • Lazyboy09
    Options

It's only $110 if you hurry! haha

I know what you mean on that price, but F-it, I'm signing up before May 22.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

I am going to do the Tough Mudder in 2012 because my tri schedule is keeping me busy for this year. Have you checked out the workout on Tough Mudder's website? They have suggested exercises to do that apply to each individual obstacle.

Maybe I'll sign up for the Dallas one in 2012! The Austin race is in July, which is just plain stupid. :grumble:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Maybe I'll sign up for the Dallas one in 2012! The Austin race is in July, which is just plain stupid. :grumble:

Lol. Yeah, Austin is pretty hot in July. Come to Dallas and we'll rip up that course together!!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the one in VA. It's my 'carrot' to get in back in shape!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am on a team, gets you a small discount. Plus being a vet gets you a discount.

One of my team members is freaking about the elevation. He wants to go to an elevation run so we can get used to it. The socal one is at 6000 feet above sea leavel and increases to 7000 ft. I cannot do a pull up to save my life, but I do not mind being pushed up things. :) I am going to start doing some serious push ups though. I like to do curls while I watch tv, but that isn't going to be enough probably.
  • xaintes
    Options
    Despite my fear of being shocked with electrical wires, I kind of really want to do this now in Virginia in the fall.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a MS mud run (10k) in 2 weeks. I would love to compare training routines!
  • Lazyboy09
    Options
    I don't know if a specific training routine is needed. It helps most to just be all around fit. Good cardio obviously because running is involved and the ability to crawl and climb are important. It also helps to have a little bit of dexterity and ability to pick a good spot to land your feet in varied terrain. Tough Mudder requires the skill of swimming, but with most other mud runs you can get by as long as you aren't prone to panicking if you slip under waist to chest deep muddy water (FFS try not to get any in your mouth like I did!, ugh). And last and most important is determination of mind to finish.
  • amandalc980
    Options
    I am running three miles today. :( Its going to be beach running with lots of hills though, so that should be good. This weekend I plan on doing 10 miles. 10 miles just seems like such a time commitment though. Eugh! I did Jillian Michaels thirty day shred yesterday, want to work on my upper body strength. Didn't really feel it though. So I think today I will do her No More Trouble Zones. Uses a lot more weights. I am going to start doing at least three of the tough mudder workouts each morning before work, too. I kind of want to get one of those weight vests and do a couple 6 mile runs with that on.
  • amandalc980
    Options
    Tough Mudder requires the skill of swimming, but with most other mud runs you can get by as long as you aren't prone to panicking if you slip under waist to chest deep muddy water (FFS try not to get any in your mouth like I did!, ugh). And last and most important is determination of mind to finish.

I am a fish! I have no fear of swimming. Determination I have in spades!