help with toning up

Options
I have met my goal weight (yayy!) but am slightly disappointed that I don't really look THAT different. I put on my swimsuit this weekend and I am not heavy, but I am just SOFT. I am a skinny soft person. HELP!

What has worked for everyone as far as getting muscle tone in your abs? I have NEVER been a muscled up person and that is very obvious now. I can push my stomach out to the point that I look pregnant. I don't think I have one muscle! Has anyone else experienced this?

Any exercise recommendations are appreciated.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you are into fitness dvds ChaLean Extreme is excellent for toning. Also do Planks and side Planks to build up those abs.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Planks, Sit ups, Oblique Twists and Hanging Knee Raises. Thats what I do in order to "tone" my stomach.. and so far its working really well.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The only way to look "toned" is to build muscle.
    Start doing some weight training.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Weight training and pilates. That's what I've been doing and I've seen some awesome results so far.
  • ktaylor21
    Options
    You should check out Amanda Adams on facebook... she's freaking gorgeous, and is a fitness model. anyway she has lots of info and posts about eating clean, weight training cardio etc... I learn a ton just from her posts..
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I think you may be referring to the phenomena of being "Skinny fat". This happened to me 3 years ago when I got to my goal weight but didn't look like I thought I would. Here is an article explaining it and what can be done. But to summarize, you pretty much need to lift weights.

http://www.the-signal.com/section/42/article/42007/

Good luck.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Muscle definition comes with a) losing the fat layer between the muscle and skin, and b) increasing the size of your muscles.

No exercise will burn that layer of fat away, so don't listen to ANYONE who refers to an exercise as a toning exercise.