cardio or weights first?

MoNiCaMaRieV
MoNiCaMaRieV Posts: 50 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
does it really matter which one you do first? ive always done cardio before anything else and ive heard that its better to start with the weights first?.. any suggestions?

Replies

• anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    I was told to do 10 mins of warm up then lift weights and then do cardio. I was told this by a trainer at my gym, he said when you get your heart beat up you burn more calories, and people dont always work as hard at weights after cardio because they are tired
  • Krkoch82
    Krkoch82 Posts: 13
    That's the exact thing my trainer told me!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

5-10 minute warmup.
    weights first.
    then cardio.

ideally cardio should be done on off days. But if you have to do it with weight training, do it afterwards.
  • anulle2009
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

5-10 minute warmup.
    weights first.
    then cardio.

ideally cardio should be done on off days. But if you have to do it with weight training, do it afterwards.

So you should actually take one day of weights only, next day cardio only???
  • meggiecb
    meggiecb Posts: 4
    Try kettlebells!! :) You get cardio and weights all in one and they are amazing for your body!
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    First of all, I need to state that I am one who absolutely does not enjoy cardio. I get very bored, and will always do extra reps, sets on way to muscle exhaustion before ending my workout. This doesn't mean I don't do cardio, just not a big fan.

when I lift weights first, then end with a cardio session, I always find it easier to reach my THR. On my off days, when doing cardio I find it that much longer for to reach the THR. This could be me, but for this primary reason I always lift first. I like the rewards of lifting, and calories are still burned.
  • beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

5-10 minute warmup.
    weights first.
    then cardio.

I think you're both right. Doing some cardio to warm up, then lifting, then doing some more after is a great way to go. You burn way more calories with your heart rate up. I think what the other poster is saying is don't do heavy weight training and heavy cardio on the same day. Alternate instead. I usually aim for an hour per day but I can fill an hour with weights so I'll make up the difference with cardio, then on my recovery day I do an hour of cardio (biking, walking, stairs)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member

I think you're both right. Doing some cardio to warm up, then lifting, then doing some more after is a great way to go.

Yep.
    I do a warmup and then weight train on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. If I still have energy, I might jog a mile or two afterwards.
    Then tuesdays and thursdays, I'll do cardio. Saturday is optional. And Sunday is a rest day.
  • anulle2009
    beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

5-10 minute warmup.
    weights first.
    then cardio.

I think you're both right. Doing some cardio to warm up, then lifting, then doing some more after is a great way to go. You burn way more calories with your heart rate up. I think what the other poster is saying is don't do heavy weight training and heavy cardio on the same day. Alternate instead. I usually aim for an hour per day but I can fill an hour with weights so I'll make up the difference with cardio, then on my recovery day I do an hour of cardio (biking, walking, stairs)
    Ahh ok that makes sense. I normally do 25 min on the Arc Trainer, 20 mins on a stationary bike and inbetween do different weight lifting
This discussion has been closed.