I'm so disheartened finding out the cals!

Oh my god, I can't believe the calories in some foods! I have only started counting calories for the first time and I'm a bit in shock. I went to Calafornia pizza kithen and thought I was going light going for pasta (it wasn't saucy) and when I looked it up here today it says 1280cALS! Can this be right?

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    I had the same wake up call. LOL!

My rule of thumb is, if you go into a restaraunt then you're flirting with hidden calories.

The levels of sodium when eating out will floor you as well.

On a brighter note, fresh fruits and vegatables are incredibly healthy to eat and cheaper too.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Yes, that type of food is highest in calories.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    yes thats probably correct if you ate all they gave you in one sitting--portions are HUGE in restaurants!! at least you know now. also a good tip-check out calories/food items before ordering online ( a lot of places have them listed now) so you can plan ahead and avoid surprises like this later.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    On top of the calorie shock, it also makes it harder to work off because these types of foods leave you with ZERO energy! :-(
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    LOL i know what r u talking about, i used to be fan of Souper Salad thinking everithing there is so light..... NOT!
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Bump
  • Unfortunately, I really do think this is right. Restuarant foods are typically very high in calories and use a ton of salt and oils in their menus. I know, I work in the hospitality industry and have seen many Chefs put together dishes that would make a heart surgeon gasp. Despite knowing this, my husband and I love to eat out still so when we do, I do a few things.

First, if I know what I am going to eat at the restaurant, I look up the calories in the dish BEFORE I go to the restuarant. That way I know how to plan my day in what I'm going to eat and make sure I stay within my daily calorie limit. Next, if I don't know the number of calories in the dish or even if I do know and it is high, I make sure only to eat half of what is served to me. I always make sure to bring home a doggie bag so I get two meals out of my order. And finally, I try and make sure I always eat veges with my dinner such as broccoli. Veges are so good for you on so many levels and best part it helps you get full faster.

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    I have never checked calories before either and had a big surprise to find out the calories in what we eat, especially some of the foods that you think are okay.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Its crazy how everything has a whole bunch of calories. Down to fruit eventhough they are good calories and apple can have up to like 80 calories! But its also crazy how i used to think oh well it only has 200 calories then eat the whole bag and notice that the bag has like 3 servings!!! Aaahhh! Portion control is key!
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Wait until you order a salad then realize how many calories and sodium it has before salad dressing LOL..
  • I know what you mean! The last time I went to Cheesecake Factory I looked at the nutrition guide and decided that I couldn't eat anything off the menu! Everything was over 1,000 calories, even the salads! When you start counting calories you really start seeing how many calories there are in things that you normally eat. Since I've started counting calories, I look up foods in myfitnessplan BEFORE I go eat so that I know what I can order.
  • MDichoso
    MDichoso Posts: 10
    That was the biggest shocker for me as well. Salads in restaurants are the WORST in calories and fat, because they seem so healthy. Sometimes I feel like I'm much better off eating a juicy burger with fries, because at least that food isn't lying to me about how bad it is!

Like many others who have posted, I find out where we are going and try to look up the nutrition information BEFORE I go. I choose what to have at home, instead of at the restaurant. It DOES take willpower to resist what I KNOW tastes better than what I'm having and to NOT order dessert. But then I ask myself...tiramisu...OR 125 lbs? Or something along those lines...

Lately eating out we've gone to sushi restaurants--MUCH lower in fat (although you'll probably go over your protein goals). AND when I know I'm going out to eat, I make sure I get in a really good workout during the day first!!

BUT the bottom line--it's best to make your own food at home! Then on the occasion you do eat out, it's extra special!!

4063347.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods