Tuna

Options
Is tuna in the can a healthy choice? Also, how do you prepare it?

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    http://tunathewonderfish.com/

Awesome website for tuna recipes!!!
    got it from on of the girls on my profile :)

just passin the love around
  • T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes, I say it is.

I love a can of tuna over a home made salad. Its packed full of protein, low in calories and low in fat.

An ideal meal in my opinion.
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    tuna is very good for you. it seems higher in calories than say, a ham filling for a sandwich or something like that but, it has so much protein and goodness in it, that it is very good! Try mixing with Extra Light mayo in a bowl and having it in a sandwich with lettuce and cucumber on seeded bread - very yummy for a healthy lunch. Or, for dinner, a tuna pasta bake :)
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it mixed with just hot sauce, like Frank's Hot Sauce. I've also tried it with a couple of dashes of Italian dressing and some crushed red pepper flakes--it will do the trick! I find the tuna in oil to be less dry, and worth the extra fat and calories.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd vote yes.

I eat a can pretty often. Lots of protein.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Tuna is great! Low in fat and high in protein. Be sure to buy the water packed kind. I mix with a little light mayo, mustard, chopped onion, carrot, and celery for a great sandwich filling or to top a green salad. Sometimes I just drain and eat with lemon juice and some Mrs. Dash!
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It is awesome with a nice salad. I have been buying the low sodium packets instead of the cans to cut down on sodium but yes I love me some tuna. Having some in a minute actually!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I actually prefer the pouch. I've found it cheaper and no stupid draining.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I think the tuna in the pouch tastes 10 times better than the can. Check it out!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    yep is nice with jacket potatoes
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it mixed with just hot sauce, like Frank's Hot Sauce.

I put that *kitten* on everything!

Heehee!
  • DrAlbin
    DrAlbin Posts: 25
    Options
    Mixed with horseradish and a dash of ketchup (cocktail sauce)
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Tuna is great! I like the pouch better too, in water. The Pouch doesn't normally have any extra (eyes and scales) that sometime get into at least the cans I've bough the past few times. Lil bit of Light Mayo and garlic and you are set! Protein helps you stay fuller longer as well. Good snack.
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hate to be the wet blanket here, but you might want to think about moderating the amount of tuna you eat. it has high levels of mercury and other toxins (which are easily researched on Google). not saying to never eat it (unlike swordfish which should totally be avoided), but certainly not to eat lots and lots of it. sorry......
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    hate to be the wet blanket here, but you might want to think about moderating the amount of tuna you eat. it has high levels of mercury and other toxins (which are easily researched on Google). not saying to never eat it (unlike swordfish which should totally be avoided), but certainly not to eat lots and lots of it. sorry......

I think that's a general rule of thumb for most things and for a good balanced diet regardless of whether there are reported risks. "Tuna is great, but don't eat it everyday every meal." You can substitute the word tuna with most any other food and it would still be true and good advice. Variety is the spice of life; it'd make you happy and healthy!
  • jmminmn
    jmminmn Posts: 28
    Options
    I also use the pouch. The pouches have good recipes on there too! I like the tuna & artichoke pizza.
    (sounds gross - but really yummy!):happy:
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Tuna is great! I like the pouch better too, in water. The Pouch doesn't normally have any extra (eyes and scales) that sometime get into at least the cans I've bough the past few times. Lil bit of Light Mayo and garlic and you are set! Protein helps you stay fuller longer as well. Good snack.

I'm sorry...eyes? Say what? I'm traumatized now...
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    just had a jacket potato with a tin of tuna and a splash of balsamic vinegar its my go to meal when i'm on back shift as its quick and simple and microwave friendly oh and i've never had eyes or scales in any of my tins and i buy the cheap stuff
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer the pouch. I've found it cheaper and no stupid draining.

I do the same. I hate the cans that are full of water. The pouches are like the good old days when the tuna was solid in the can and not mushy.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    http://tunathewonderfish.com/

Awesome website for tuna recipes!!!
    got it from on of the girls on my profile :)

just passin the love around

Thanks for that...some nice sounding ideas there!