Disney World Vacation?

Options
So my family, fiance, and I are going on vacation to Disney World in about 3 weeks and while I am excited to go I am also VERY nervous. I've tried to look up some things from Downtown Disney and where we will be eating at and there is little to no information online. I've been doing very well and feel confident that I should know what I can and can not splurge on or even have, but I'm a calorie-counting-aholic now. I must know exact calories, lol. I'm concerned that this vacation is going to leave me stressed about my lifestyle change and I will go right back into my old eating habits--- NOT GOOD!

My question is..
Is anyone from/around/been to the Disney area recently that can give me pointers. I will def. take my healthy snacks and lots of bottled water. I even have a pedometer that measures calories burned, steps taken, and miles walked. Where would you suggest we eat or do you have any good suggestions of what I can eat while I am there? We are going to Downtown Disney, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and the Magic Kingdom.

Thanks in advance for all your help :) Have a blessed day, and since we are talking Disney---- Have a MAGICAL day!

Replies

• sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This isn't exactly answering your question because I can't help with exact places but I just thought I tell you that I have just got back from a 2 week vacation to Disneyland and other places in California and I didn't put on any weight at all.

A few times where we went to a restaurant with calories on the menu I made a point of choosing a low cal option (which was often what I would have chosen anyway as I'm vegetarian and they are often the low cal options)....but generally I ate what I wanted to - even had some ice creams.

But I think the amount of walking a Disney visit entails is MEGA calories burned!! We had three days at Disneyland / Disney's California Adventure and we got there at 8am (or 7 am on our Magic Morning!) and we walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked. It's not often you walk from 7am until 8pm really is it?! My thighs were KILLING me!

Enjoy!
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You have eased my mind! Did you use a pedometer as well!?
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney a few years back with DD and hardly ate in the parks at all. We'd have breakfast at the condo, or grab a coffee at Dunkins on the way in. We'd bring water and snacks in our camera bag (big backpack) and nibble on those throughout the day. I got a bunch of those peanut butter crackers and granola bars which were just enough to keep us going at different times. We did eat a few times (margaritas in Epcot, hotdogs in Disney) but for the most part we ended up leaving and hitting an early dinner. Are you staying at a hotel or a condo? Will you have a car? We hit the WinDixie next to our condo and stocked up when we got there. Grapes, apples, etc travel good in a bag.
    Like sooh2011 said, you do so much walking there, you definitely burn the calories. Just remember to keep drinking water.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You have eased my mind! Did you use a pedometer as well!?

No, I didn't but my legs and feet were telling me they were being overused!

I also wondered if the non stop exercise combined with the more than usual eating helped shake up my metabolism a bit?
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i too will be going to there on vacation and I thought maybe we could go to the grocery store and stock the hotel fridge with healthy foods for the week. That way I can pack my lunches.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    disney world actually has chicken breast at the epcot eatery all their burgers/chicken breasts come on wheat buns and when you go to their burger/chicken sammie area they have a buffet thing where you can add as much veggies as you want downtown disney has chilis applebeas and stuff like that so you should be fine. chilis has an amazing salmon dinner very yum very low cal.

heres a few places for u to google
    Cap'n Jack's Restaurant
    House of Blues® Restaurant
    also copy and paste this link..i added spaces for u but look at it has some ideas of whats there
    http ://disneyworld.disney. go.com/dining/listing/ ?sortBy=nG: hasDiningExperience Facet&fv_222816=on
  • JennDoesKeto
    Options
    oh and you can bring in backpacks with food as well as water.
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney recently, and with all of the walking that I did while I was there, I didn't gain one pound. In fact, I lost one : ) I wouldn't be too concerned.
  • lisam724
    lisam724 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    we went in Feb and you can bring in any food that you want so if you want to pack a cooler with fruit and some sandwiches or something you can and you can bring and anything to eat just no glass.
    Have fun !! we loved it !
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    We actually went to a grocery store and bought things for breakfast and lunch. This wasn't so much for calories as $$. We ate breakfast in the hotel room and then packed a backpack with lunch in it. Know my calorie intake was also much lower than if I had eaten at the parks each day. If this isn't realistic, then just pick the best you can, log everything, and enjoy!
  • eliz_in_pink
    Options
    disney world actually has chicken breast at the epcot eatery all their burgers/chicken breasts come on wheat buns and when you go to their burger/chicken sammie area they have a buffet thing where you can add as much veggies as you want downtown disney has chilis applebeas and stuff like that so you should be fine. chilis has an amazing salmon dinner very yum very low cal.

heres a few places for u to google
    Cap'n Jack's Restaurant
    House of Blues® Restaurant
    also copy and paste this link..i added spaces for u but look at it has some ideas of whats there
    http ://disneyworld.disney. go.com/dining/listing/ ?sortBy=nG: hasDiningExperience Facet&fv_222816=on

I did go to that site, but I tried to find nutritional information for both places and couldnt... I'm glad that Downtown Disney also has Chili's and Applebee's :) That will help me ease my stress, lol.
    Thanks so much for all your help! :)

I'm very excited to go... Did everyone log? How would you do it?
  • eliz_in_pink
    Options
    We actually went to a grocery store and bought things for breakfast and lunch. This wasn't so much for calories as $$. We ate breakfast in the hotel room and then packed a backpack with lunch in it. Know my calorie intake was also much lower than if I had eaten at the parks each day. If this isn't realistic, then just pick the best you can, log everything, and enjoy!

Yeah, we are going to be in a condo, which is awesome. We will be able to cook dinners some nights which will be so helpful! :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    did you check out allears.net?

Thats a good website that lists the restaurants and what they serve. Not sure about the calorie count but this is a start.

Keep in mind, you will be walking SEVERAL miles each day. We completely stuffed ourselves last summer and easily burned it all off with the amount of walking we did.
  • ericapledger
    ericapledger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Take some granola bars with you to eat in the park and maybe buy some groceries for the hotel.
  • eliz_in_pink
    Options
    did you check out allears.net?

Thats a good website that lists the restaurants and what they serve. Not sure about the calorie count but this is a start.

Keep in mind, you will be walking SEVERAL miles each day. We completely stuffed ourselves last summer and easily burned it all off with the amount of walking we did.

I haven't, I think my fiance has been to that site, I'll have to check it out.. plan ahead. I'm a sticky note and calorie counting queen... Its kind of crazzzzzzzyyyyy... lol. :)
  • JennDoesKeto
    Options
    instead of ice packs...freeze some bottled water to keep in the bag. that way no extra weight from the ice packs and u will have nice cold drinks during the day.
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's super hard to eat healthy in the Disney area, and there's like no nutritional information available. I tried to be sensible when I went (ordered salad w/ minimal dressing whenever possible) and I steered clear of the gigantic turkey legs.

I actually lost 4 pounds on my 1 week vacation from all the walking + sweating (100 degrees humid florida weather).
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I'm going soon as well. My plan is that we're going to eat breakfast from some stuff we bring and keep in the hotel, lunch wherever we are, and dinner (hopefully) usually from stuff we bring into the hotel as well.

All I can suggest is not to let it ruin your vacation. Relax, have a good time and if, like me, you normally log for a completely sedentary lifestyle, try to remember that during your vacation you will pretty much be doing the COMPLETE opposite. In my times to WDW you walk ALL day, barely ever sit and it will be from the minute you hit the parks until late at night. Bring some granola bars and snacks and seriously - remember that its vacation and don't limit yourself from restaurants or locations and eat only at places like Chili's or Applebees just because you can access their calorie counts. Live it up. Just make smart decisions and relax. Stress adds pounds too.
  • Meag83
    Meag83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump