Did I really screw this up?

Options
Yesterday, for the first time since I started MFP on Feb 5, I had a splurge day. Easter was crazy with the candy and the heavy foods, I decided half way in that I just needed to go with the flow. Now I'm worried I've majorly backtracked. Is yesterday going to make me puff up badly, or if I stay on the course from today on, will it be OK? I'm new to calorie counting.

4616027.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You might puff up, but it will go away. Just write it off as a stumble, and continue on the course. :flowerforyou:
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You will be fine. One day won't do you in. Just get back on track today.
  • SandyLee1961
    SandyLee1961 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an off day (sometimes 2) - we aren't perfect! Just get back on track and you'll be fine. Drink a bit more water in the next couple of days and that sometimes will help when you fall off track. Get more water in, get more toxins out :) And don't worry if you fall on occasion - we all do!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    one day is not the end of the world, just get back on track the following day and you are fine, we all have bad days myself included but it will not hurt me in the bigger picture because I am dedicated to getting the fat gone. You do not have to be a diet nazi to be successful, you do need to be dedicated, log faithfully and learn how to nourish the body to get the best results.
  • new_view
    new_view Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One day won't end the great work you have done so far! Just remember that you can't keep having days like that and get back on track with your correct calories and you will be fine :) Don't let it throw you off completely!
  • jjhanlon
    jjhanlon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually have one of those days once a week!!! I'm (slowly but surely) still making progress :happy:
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I think a few of us went off track yesturday. It's going to happen here and there. the most important thing is to get back on track today. I am planning on some extra excersise this week to help balance things out. Good luckQ
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I feel much better about yesterday after reading your OP and all the replies. I <3 MFP!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    the only way to really screw it up is to completely quit.
    Dust yourself off and keep going. I just spent 2 weeks binging on anything/everything. I'm still here today. That essentially means that I didn't screw up. I overcame the struggle and pushed forward. Struggling is not failure, quitting is.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Eh...you will be fine. Even if you do "puff" up, just work and keep on track. Everyone gets off track from time to time. The secret is moving forward and doing better from that point on!

Barb
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Fitness is about long-term lifestyle changes...not the minor details of a single day.

Anything is acceptable...in Moderation.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday time with your family and leave it at that.

Today is a new day, as it tomorrow and all the rest of the days to come. :-)
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I didn't even log everything. I felt terrible about it. I didn't even count the amount of cheesy hashbrowns, pistachio torte, and chocolate peanut butter eggs I ate.

I woke up this morning and pretended it didn't happen - until you reminded me ;)

Just exercise, and drinks tons of water (with lemon) - it will deter the bloat.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. I know when I stepped on the scale this morning, after my not so great day yesterday, I have gained 3 lbs, so I will now work my butt off to get it back off plus some before Wed. Drink alot of water will help with water retension. You can do this!!! Holidays are hard, trust me. Every week/day is a fresh one so start fresh.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up over one day. Just be grateful for what joys the holiday brought to your life. Don't dwell on the rough day you had food-wise. Stress makes you store fat after all!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on here...and I think most normal folks on here enjoyed their days without counting cals, including me...and yes I was over and way over on sodium and fat gms..today is the next day...and life goes on!!!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that you should have a cheat day once a week? I remember hearing that it can keep your body from plateauing. I could be wrong though.
  • MMGoodSF
    MMGoodSF Posts: 26
    Options
    @BeckyKSmith I didn't record everything either! I'm usually good about it, but didn't want to remember the details of yesterday.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Everyday, I can't believe how supportive this online community is. I'm lucky to have found you all. Today is a new day!
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat a day! You've obviously done well so far. Whenever I get discouraged about a day of gluttony I like to think of my goals in perspective of the overall week.

If I'm shooting for say a 500 kcal deficit a day than that's 3500 a week, say I went over my goal by 1000 kcals for a single day, that's 500 kcal plus for the day. in respect to my weekly goals that means I have a deficit of 2500 for the week... hmm that's like 1lb vs .75 lb's lost. Negligible in terms of my goals.

Stressing over it would probably have a more detrimental effect than the calories did.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I think you'll probably be fine. I ate 800 extra calories yesterday and weighed LESS this morning than I did on Sunday morning, lol.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way, you only screwed up this year by 0.27%.

You still have 99.73% of the year to get it right. :bigsmile: