Common Frustration.

Options
So I work out CONSTANTLY. Every day of the week. Some days are better than others. I watch my calories and log everything, save for a few small examples. I feel better, I feel like I am starting to look different, however the scale is not moving south. 1 pound in 2 weeks...... My diary is open if anyone has any ideas. I am not new to fitness having been through a police academy and training for the army. But it appears the old stuff isn't working anymore. While I have only been on MFP for 2 weeks, I have been working out consistently for over 6 weeks. Since that time I have lost 1 pound. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    My first question to you would be are you being accurate with logging intake and burns and secondly are the inches coming off? Often times muscle gain can offset fat loss, in my case that has happened on a few weeks over my 100 + days on mfp. So long as the inches are going then do not worry about it, in the meantime I will look over your log and see if I can make any recommendations.
    *Looked over your diary*
    Yikes dude, sodium, holy cow you really need to watch that. there is a lot of room for improvement so yes you do really need to go back and look over the diet as working out every day entails feeding the body to compliment that. Some days you eat enough, some you do not. My diary is open as well feel free to look it over and see what I mean by that. You are not getting nearly enough protein in for a heavy workout regimen nor are you getting it in at breakfast which is an essential time to get protein in to boost metabolic rate.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Even though working out is awesome, i think that personally, weight loss is about 80% diet. I'd reevaluate what you are eating-- it seems like you have a lot of processed carbohydrates-- (pasta, rice cakes, chicken tenders, etc).
    You NEED fruits and vegetables!!! Lean protein as well. You can exercise all you want, but you'll truly see results if you fuel your body properly. Hope this helps!
  • stephwilli80
    Options
    I agree with Ral. Take a look at your sugars. You can modify your daily intake to track your sugar. I have a feeling your sugars are too high. Good luck and keep up the hard work.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    you may want to up the veggies (gren leefy variety). Add a salad with lunch take something else away. green tea or coffee can help with things as well (well before bed time or you will be up peeing or just up all night).
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sodium for sure. I have adjusted recently to eating foods with less sodium. This has easily been the toughest part of my diet. I have a lot of carbs there, but if read my excercise I am running 5 miles on a regular basis and sometimes more. I also swim, weight lift, and play sports. So I think the carbs are justified. Protein is good point.... Maybe a protein shake each day with breakfast??? Thoughts? Thanks for all of your help. This is a great site.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    natek,

1/2 a lb a week for someone looking to lose 19 total pounds is EXACTLY what you should be looking to lose. That's perfect. When there's not a lot of fat to lose, you won't lose a lot of fat.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sodium for sure. I have adjusted recently to eating foods with less sodium. This has easily been the toughest part of my diet. I have a lot of carbs there, but if read my excercise I am running 5 miles on a regular basis and sometimes more. I also swim, weight lift, and play sports. So I think the carbs are justified. Protein is good point.... Maybe a protein shake each day with breakfast??? Thoughts? Thanks for all of your help. This is a great site.

I never said carbs were bad-- I run or elliptical 10-12 miles everyday plus weight training-- I know the importance of carbs.

However, there is a HUGE difference between complex carbohydrates and the simple, white/process carbs you are eating. Try trading in your cheerios for oatmeal, and instead of pasta, try quinoa or something similar. It isn't just about calories, it the QUALITY of calories.

Protein is also very important, but again-- the source is important as well. The way your body processed a steak is pretty different from how it processes say, egg whites.

Also, make sure you are spreading your nutrients around meals-- try to aim to get a balanced amount of protein, fiber, and carbs at every meal (especially breakfast).