Not to sound like Oprah but....

Options
I had an Ah-Ha, lightbulb moment yesterday. I lost nearly seven pounds before joining MFP and another 7 since I joined for a total of nearly 14 pounds. Like everyone I have down days and think, my God is this really worth it? Yes my pants fit a little better, yes I have more energy but man is this slow going or what?! Well, when I went to take the Easter turkey from the fridge, I looked at the weight so I knew how long to cook it. The turkey was just under 14 pounds. That put everything into perspective, holding that stupid bird made the light go on. Progress is progress no matter how small you think it is. A lot of people post on here they are discouraged. Please look at how far you have come and not how far you still have to go. Good Luck Everyone!

Replies

• cocodp
    cocodp Posts: 164
    Options
    *like*
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You are so right. Every accomplishment, whether great or small requires time and afford. Anything worth having is worth working for. Let's all press torward the mark...whatever your mark is.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!!!!!
  • Mickers36
    Mickers36 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    LOL I did that the other day with a 10 pound bag of potatoes, I plan on taking a picture with 2 bags once I hit 20lbs lol
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    haha.. thats awesome.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    haha, yes honey 14 lbs is a lot of weight, isn't it?! lol
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    So true. Sometimes it's hard to think that way though, when you're so focused on the "task at hand". Congrats on your 14 lb loss! :)
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Please look at how far you have come and not how far you still have to go.

This is true as you get closer to your goal, too. I am still trying to mentally accept that I have lost 80 lbs. My original goal was 90, but I'm trying for 100. When friends and family see me, they're in awe of what I have done, and they compliment me endlessly. In one way, it makes me feel good, but in another way, I can't accept it because when I see myself in the mirror, I still see that I have fat in this area or that one. I don't see the progress; just what I still have to work on. So it helps to remind myself occasionally that I've come really far and not just in terms of pounds lost but in becoming a better person. I was on the verge of turning into a cold, bitter, self-loathing person for life, and I have done a complete 180 in that regard. There is always progress to be found if you look for it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Love it!!

Not sure if they're still doing this on Biggest Loser but I loved when they'd have the remaining contestants (last 4 or 5) go on a hike carrying a backpack or similar that weighed as much as they'd lost so far. Really makes you see how far you've come and how hard it really was on your body carrying all that extra weight!
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Love it!!

Not sure if they're still doing this on Biggest Loser but I loved when they'd have the remaining contestants (last 4 or 5) go on a hike carrying a backpack or similar that weighed as much as they'd lost so far. Really makes you see how far you've come and how hard it really was on your body carrying all that extra weight!

I had a hard enough time taking that sucker out of the fridge! There is no way I could've packed it up a mountain!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    So true - I guess that means I've lost 6 turkeys -and when you look at it that way its like - how did I walk with all that weight?? lol - I need to lose 6 more though.
  • readytoowhere
    readytoowhere Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing! I was holding my niece yesterday and she is 25 pounds...and i was getting tired! just think about having that on your body...! it DOES put things into perspective
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    So true - I guess that means I've lost 6 turkeys -and when you look at it that way its like - how did I walk with all that weight?? lol - I need to lose 6 more though.

Forget 6 turkeys!! You've lost the equivalent of an Olsen Twin! Nice job!!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I had an Ah-Ha, lightbulb moment yesterday. I lost nearly seven pounds before joining MFP and another 7 since I joined for a total of nearly 14 pounds. Like everyone I have down days and think, my God is this really worth it? Yes my pants fit a little better, yes I have more energy but man is this slow going or what?! Well, when I went to take the Easter turkey from the fridge, I looked at the weight so I knew how long to cook it. The turkey was just under 14 pounds. That put everything into perspective, holding that stupid bird made the light go on. Progress is progress no matter how small you think it is. A lot of people post on here they are discouraged. Please look at how far you have come and not how far you still have to go. Good Luck Everyone!

Yes you are right...better a little at a time ...looking at where you've been, how far you've come and don't fear the future pertains to the weight thing and many other things in life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!