Why is it that...

Options
...when I eat later in the evening, I wake up the next morning really hungry?

I find that if I don't eat anything past say 7pm, the next morning I'm mildly hungry but still content to wait until it is convenient to eat, which is usually between 8 and 9. If I have a snack later on, around 8 or 9pm I wake up sooo hungry right from the start.

Yesterday I had a lot of Calories left, I just hadn't been very hungry that day(perks of staying busy). I started to feel it around 8:30ish though, and had an open faced sandwhich. Well, this morning when I woke up my tummy was like "RAWR! Hungry! Feeeeed meeeee!"

This isn't a new discovery for me. I'm just curious now why it happens. Anyone know?

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    ...when I eat later in the evening, I wake up the next morning really hungry?

I find that if I don't eat anything past say 7pm, the next morning I'm mildly hungry but still content to wait until it is convenient to eat, which is usually between 8 and 9. If I have a snack later on, around 8 or 9pm I wake up sooo hungry right from the start.

Yesterday I had a lot of Calories left, I just hadn't been very hungry that day(perks of staying busy). I started to feel it around 8:30ish though, and had an open faced sandwhich. Well, this morning when I woke up my tummy was like "RAWR! Hungry! Feeeeed meeeee!"

This isn't a new discovery for me. I'm just curious now why it happens. Anyone know?
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    that happens to me sometimes too hon,

If I eat a lot the day before I get starving really soon the next morning...but if I don't eat a lot....rarely happens btw:ohwell: ....I am not so hungry...

maybe your body adjusts....I'd be interested the answer too....I hope its not going into starvation mode...shouldn't be if you eat enough calories....hmmmm yooo hooo experts....were art thou!?:wink:
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think it has to do with blood sugar levels, and when you eat late, your blood sugar levels don't have time to recover before the a.m. I don't know, could be I am TOTALLY wrong. The same thing happens to me though. If I don't eat after 7, I am hungry but not starving in the morning. If I eat at night, I wake up with hunger pangs, ravenous, and I eat like a pig at breakfast. Not a good thing AT ALL.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Huh, I was just wondering the same thing the other day but thought maybe I was just crazy, now I know its not just me.

It probably does have a lot to blood sugar/glucose that sounds pretty reasonable.
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I wake up STARVING every morning. I get up at 515am and sometimes I wake up before that just hungry as a hippo!!! I always eat all of my cals for the day, i'm an athlete so I just always assume that I wake up hungry because my muscles stay busy all night burning that energy! If I dont eat something small with in like an hour before bed I have trouble sleeping because of hunger. its totally crazy, but for some reason I like waking up feeling hungry! Then breakfast is that much better :tongue:

I have a health degree and i'm still not 100% sure why this happens either, if somebody does I would love to know!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    It's good to know that it's not just me! lol
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am sure there is no scientific basis for this, but my sweet li'l almost 80 year old Mommy swears that it is because your stomach stretches out from the food if you eat right before bed, so you wake up with it stretched out and empty, hence, you feel like you are starving. I dunno...... :noway:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am sure there is no scientific basis for this, but my sweet li'l almost 80 year old Mommy swears that it is because your stomach stretches out from the food if you eat right before bed, so you wake up with it stretched out and empty, hence, you feel like you are starving. I dunno...... :noway:

LOL! Makes as much sense as anything else, I suppose.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    lol, while that's an interesting idea, it's more likely that when you eat late (or whenever you eat for that matter) it basically kicks on the metabolism switch. Normally the metabolism slows down at night to prepare for the sleep cycle, if you don't interrupt that normal activity, the metabolism will stay slow until a little while after you wake up. If you eat late, your metabolism doesn't slow down like it normally would, burning through the night, and your brain interprets this as "Hey, you fed me a few hours ago, now our stomach's empty again, EAT SOMETHING!" Where as if you don't eat the brain basically says "ok you are preparing to sleep, lets turn the furnace way down to a slow simmer, I don't really need any fuel for a while, I'll just run with what I have."

That's why it's good to eat a good breakfast in the morning, it kick starts the metabolism early, burning at full blast all day.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Thanks Banks!

(Ha! It rhymes. :laugh: )
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks!

(Ha! It rhymes. :laugh: )

...so does spank Banks! :laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options